Don't try to carry any Tape in carry-ons - or Any Tools.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost two Allen keys to Indonesian security when departing Bali a few years back.

They told me that I could go back and put them in my suitcase, which was kind of impossible since the bags had already been checked in and getting them back for this purpose would probably have been next to impossible as well as taking up a lot of time waiting when I could be in the lounge eating and drinking.

Should have read this thread before I went. Just got back from CZM and my mini allen wrench, that is less than 7 inches, got confiscated! That same wrench had traveled in my carryon luggage to various places. Not any TSA inspector paid attention, except this one. The sad part is: the inspector asked if I got other allen wrenches in the bag and started opening the other camera/GoPro cases. My thoughts while watching her do it were: (1) do you think I'd tell if I got more? 2nd thought was: You scanned and X-rayed the luggage, you should know how many there were. Two other allens got away. CZM just fell to the bottom of my travel list.

Not any TSA inspector paid attention, except this one.
They used to, they even confiscated nail clippers early in 2001, but TSA rules have changed. 7" is now the maximum allowed. Mexico and other countries have different rules that have to be up to TSA standards for flights to the US, but some are stricter.
CZM just fell to the bottom of my travel list.
Well, I wouldn't quit Cozumel over that, but ok.

Should have read this thread before I went. Just got back from CZM and my mini allen wrench, that is less than 7 inches, got confiscated! That same wrench had traveled in my carryon luggage to various places. Not any TSA inspector paid attention, except this one. The sad part is: the inspector asked if I got other allen wrenches in the bag and started opening the other camera/GoPro cases. My thoughts while watching her do it were: (1) do you think I'd tell if I got more? 2nd thought was: You scanned and X-rayed the luggage, you should know how many there were. Two other allens got away. CZM just fell to the bottom of my travel list.

I haven't been to Coz yet, but why not put any tools in checked baggage? Or maybe you don't have checked baggage?

It's just a lack of common sense. Nobody is hijacking a plane with an allen wrench, but people without common sense have a zero tolerance policy and that's that.

I haven't been to Coz yet, but why not put any tools in checked baggage? Or maybe you don't have checked baggage?
Yep, like I should have put my tape rolls in checked luggage. I didn't have any reason to have it in my carry-ons.
It's just a lack of common sense. Nobody is hijacking a plane with an allen wrench, but people without common sense have a zero tolerance policy and that's that.
Actually, it's so the agents are not expected to make decisions, just enforce the rules. No tools in carry-on bags leaving the US. No judgments required.

sorry but saying you won't return to coz because of a mistake you made is kinda silly no?

common sense tells us all there is zero reason to carry tools of any kind in your carry on.

did i misunderstand or did you say you chose not to disclose you had other wrenchs and they just never found them? if that is the case, i would suggest maybe that was a risk not worth taking. i don't think messing with mexican border guards when trying to enter their country is the right thing to do. but that's me. lol

I try to keep all accessories together since I carry a couple of GoPros (dive buddy's and mine). We have different flex arms and video lights. The confiscated allen was one that was used to hook a video light to the GoPro-flex arm. So as not to confuse which allens to use, it went into the case holding the corresponding video light. It's been fine packed that way until this trip.

I try to keep all accessories together since I carry a couple of GoPros (dive buddy's and mine). We have different flex arms and video lights. The confiscated allen was one that was used to hook a video light to the GoPro-flex arm. So as not to confuse which allens to use, it went into the case holding the corresponding video light. It's been fine packed that way until this trip.
It’s an Allen wrench that cost, what, a dollar to replace?

Back
Top Bottom