DIR- Generic Does the ScubaPro S-Tek Pro BPW Meet Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cinch system makes the shoulder straps adjustable. Effectively it means your shoulder straps will be a different length each time you get in your rig. I don't recommend it.

Ok I see. This is new to me as I have always “cinched” in my straps after I enter the water on my existing BCs. Im not familiar with just having the straps all set to a set length.

Sometimes when doing pool training at my buddies pool I inflate my rig and place it in the water. Then I don the rig on my back and strap in. I always loosen the straps fully and “cinch” in. Im not saying I would ever do this in OW. Im curious how easy this maneuver is with fixed straps?

Ok I see. This is new to me as I have always “cinched” in my straps after I enter the water on my existing BCs. Im not familiar with just having the straps all set to a set length.

Sometimes when doing pool training at my buddies pool I inflate my rig and place it in the water. Then I don the rig on my back and strap in. I always loosen the straps fully and “cinch” in. Im not saying I would ever do this in OW. Im curious how easy this maneuver is with fixed straps?
it should be easy. ideally the shoulder straps should not be overly tight. it's the waist strap and crotch strap that hold the rig in place. your fundies instructor will help you get everything sized appropriately during class.

also, because the shoulder d-rings are fixed, you want them to always be at the same height so you aren't searching for them

You can still don and doff your gear with fixed straps without much hassle. The shoulder bands shouldn't be super tight.

it should be easy. ideally the shoulder straps should not be overly tight. it's the waist strap and crotch strap that hold the rig in place. your fundies instructor will help you get everything sized appropriately during class.

Perfect. That answers a lot.

And please no one think Im trying to be a dick and go against the grain of those that have gone before me. Im learning and the DIR subforum is helping.
I have not gotten the impression you're being a dick or trying to challenge the tried-and-true DIR stuff. No worries. I get the impression you like Scubapro gear. It is indeed quality stuff. It may be difficult to get one's mind around the concept of minimalism, where less is more. But don't worry--as I alluded to in my first reply, what you might save in the cost of the basic gear setup will be more than made up in the cost of training. 🤣

The "pure" version of the S-Tek will likely be fine. The one you linked to isn't worth the time. Comfort harnesses are garbage. That being said, why only look at the Scubapro? There are lots of other options at the price point or cheaper that will likely serve you better if you're concerned about having everything be DIR compliant. The Halcyon Eclipse system comes to mind, or buy your own BP, wing, webbing, D rings, and belt slides, and piecemeal it for basically half the price.

Whoever recommended a 3 ft (1m) SMB for class was spot on. I am guessing I speak for many of us when I say the 6 ft SMB I initially brought to Fundies class flopping around in shallow water just made it more difficult for me to learn the deployment steps. I later bought a practice-sized SMB ("cute," perhaps) and practiced with that until I knew the moves. Now I own SMBs of various sizes for various environments.
100% agree. Its not just about a clean sanitary class environment. I was wreck diving last weekend, and quickly switched gears to babysitting someone who blew past their turn pressure and had to put them on my long hose and do an SMB ascent. I was really glad I had switched out my overly ridiculous and wide 6' DSMB for one that was very easy to manage and I could inflate on one breath at a 20' stop, as I was pretty task loaded managing the ascent, getting another diver focused and relaxed, and keeping them at arms length for safety. My new skinny little 3 foot SMB was a godsend. I took that same Fundies class at Gilboa a week later, and getting a reasonably easy to manage DSMB might have actually been the best advice I was given all week, second only to helping dial in a reliable back kick.

Yes, that's not the "pro" version as in the link the OP put in is first message
Comfort harnesses don't meet standards. The pure version that @flymolo mentioned likely will. Just because something meets your standards does not mean it is DIR.

But they still "philosophize" and talk shiit about things they know nothing about.
Snoooooore. Get out of here then, dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom