Stuck between S-Tek and Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point. 'Would not get plate without cylinder band slots myself. If you go Halcyon, make certain to get Traveler wing with like slots.
View attachment 854434View attachment 854435
And once you want to meet the slot in the plate requirement there is no need to limit yourself the H, look at the DGX package, put the extra $$$ into a drysuit for that ice diving.

I use the S Tek plate but I use it with a diverite wing and a standard STA and I have also replaced all of the webbing with my own set up.
why did you choose a different wing that the SB one?

They definitely make their own wings (per their Production page) but it's less clear about the backplates. I've seen elsewhere on SB the claim about ScubaPro and Halcyon using the same manufacturer for plates, but no source for it. Based on H's production page regarding how they review/revise materials selection, it's not impossible they may have switched up manufacturers, or use multiple due to the various materials they employ in their plates.

Consider also how easy it is to replace parts in the ScubaPro, especially if you're looking at the Pro vs. the Pure. One benefit of BPWs lies in the ability to service the gear with parts more commonly accessible than what you get in other BC designs.
Is there a difference in serviceability between pure and pro? seems to be the rubber coating and harness padding. Did i overlook something?

Good point. 'Would not get plate without cylinder band slots myself. If you go Halcyon, make certain to get Traveler wing with like slots.
View attachment 854434View attachment 854435
Is this different than what the eclipse or infinity offers? To my inexperienced eyes, they look similar

And once you want to meet the slot in the plate requirement there is no need to limit yourself the H, look at the DGX package, put the extra $$$ into a drysuit for that ice diving.
Im Looking into a SeaSkin NOVA currently. Going to go with a cheaper suit to see how much i will actually ice dive and utilize it and then perhaps invest in a DUI if i find i use it extremely often

why did you choose a different wing that the SB one?
Better fit to my need, I wanted 35 lb lift and in the US the SP wing is way over priced for a 30 lb wing, my dive rite can work fine with the S Tek STA and I use that some times .

Is this different than what the eclipse or infinity offers? To my inexperienced eyes, they look similar

Im Looking into a SeaSkin NOVA currently. Going to go with a cheaper suit to see how much i will actually ice dive and utilize it and then perhaps invest in a DUI if i find i use it extremely often
A DUI will do nothing for you but free you up for the burden of having to much money.

The S Tek is a good package if you use the STA for single tank and want to add doubles later.

Better fit to my need, I wanted 35 lb lift and in the US the SP wing is way over priced for a 30 lb wing, my dive rite can work fine with the S Tek STA and I use that some times .
i really appreciate all the feedback and responses. I was going to get the 40# so i could use one wing for either singles or doubles. Is there such a thing as the wing being too big for singles?

i really appreciate all the feedback and responses. I was going to get the 40# so i could use one wing for either singles or doubles. Is there such a thing as the wing being too big for singles?
Lift aside, the geometry of single and double tanks wings is different. A doubles wing will likely wrap around single tank, trapping air. Buy the right wing for the equipment you're going to use it with.

Let me go over my decision process when I purchased my first BP and wing. As a new diver and after 8 dives, I used a rental Halcyon Infinity system with a 40 pound singles (Eclipse) wing and really liked it. I liked it a lot better than the vest I had used so that is what I purchased. However, I ended up changing a lot of my setup. For example, I purchased a 40 pound wing with the intention to dive cold water with a steel tank and redundant (pony) tank attached to the main tank. I ended up with a 30 pound Eclipse which is better suited for the warm weather single tank diving I was doing. When I switched to doubles, I purchased a 40 pound Evolve wing. As mentioned earlier, the wings are different so you really need a singles and a doubles wing.

Also, I ended up taking off the Cinch Plate, ACB pockets and shoulder padding off the Infinity system after Fundies. I basically ended up with an Eclipse System which is what I should have purchased from the beginning. That is what I would recommend; a 30lb Stainless Steel Eclipse System. It is a simple and you will be ready for the future as you can just purchase a 40lb Evolve wing if you move to doubles.

A few more points:

The prices of the Scubapro and Halcyon will be comparable with the Halcyon probably being a bit less expensive.

Buy as a system as it is cheaper than buying the components.

Halcyon has excellent service. If something ever goes wrong, they will replace it.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Another vote for a dedicated single tank wing and a dedicated twinset wing.

EDIT: You want a small wing for agile, single tank duty and you want lift for twinset duty.

There are a lot more choices in the world than the brands you've listed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom