The most suitable BP/W for beginners among the following

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m always amazed that posts from USA based SB’ers never bother to check which country the OP is posting from and recommend US based retailers.

The cost of shipping and import duties and taxes make all such recommendations simply ridiculous.

It’s one thing to recommend a brand that may (or may not) be available in the OP’s country, quite another to recommend a US based retailer.
Speaking of assumptions, how do you know the person never travels to the US, or other countries for that matter? If they do, they can look into the suggestion. If they don’t, they can feel free to ignore my suggestion. Either way, I’m not going to make assumptions and then self filter based on what I think someone’s life history is :)

I’m always amazed that posts from USA based SB’ers never bother to check which country the OP is posting from and recommend US based retailers.

The cost of shipping and import duties and taxes make all such recommendations simply ridiculous.

It’s one thing to recommend a brand that may (or may not) be available in the OP’s country, quite another to recommend a US based retailer.
This price point comes with a free shipping option for international orders it may still be cheaper to order from Alexi but DGX is a solid package offering.

This price point comes with a free shipping option for international orders it may still be cheaper to order from Alexi but DGX is a solid package offering.

I recently priced up a warm water ”travel” BP/W at Ali and came in at around $250 NEW including shipping and taxes. And since Ali has registered to collect local VAT I don’t get hit for a surprise local VAT charge and substantial Admin fee that the local courier and mail companies charge for processing the duties and taxes on imports. Delivery times are about the same or less than from US retailers.

When I look at their site I see some of the same products that DGX sells under their own label too. I’m just cutting out some of the middle men.

If you’re in China, why not build a custom BP/W from individual components from aliexpress ? It will be considerably less expensive, and likely better than the alternatives you listed.

See this thread for ideas

Sanity check please - Chinese BP/W setup
Yes, webbing is cheap. A backplate in general is a backplate, through there is a difference in machinging details and smooth edges. The price of the BP isn't the material, but the time on the very expensive machine. You shouldn't be spending more than the equivalent of $100. I looked at aliexpress, but I'm not sure if there is a different price in China. For the wing, my guess is you can get a pretty decent one in China as well, possibly spending $200 or less.

The Hydro Pro is just stupidly expensive for what you get. There are some prettly extreme zealotlry promoting that one. I've used one. It is a good BCD, just waaaaaay overpriced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom