Stuck between S-Tek and Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly suggest you slow down on purchasing gear too fast. Try it first, see what works best for you. Rent different styles, you may find that a back inflate makes you uncomfortable on the surface. You may find that trim is hard with a jacket. You may find many things that we can only suggest, but only you can determine what works best for you.

You have chosen two of the most expensive options available, quality is not always associated with cost. There are many lower cost options that will serve you as well or better.

The biggest regret some of us have is buying too soon without really understanding what is available and what really works well. Do some research here on SB and you will find many different recommendations for equipment.

I appreciate everyone being incredibly helpful! I had ignorantly assumed that perhaps i needed 40# for my single because doing some research on my current BCD (XL Aqualung ProHD which has about 55# of lift) and thought perhaps i would need close to the same amount. Im glad everyone educated me on having different dedicated wings.

The biggest regret some of us have is buying too soon without really understanding what is available and what really works well.

+1

Dude I used a

for years for both one tank and two, ice diving drysuit one tank or two, you want More lift rather than less

People diving small wings, weighting themselves to the ounce are small, diving in water that doesn't move

A 35lb wing will handle any single cylinder. I would also never spend more than 125.00 for a plate. Unless it was a freedom plate. Those are handmade and a work of art.
HOG backplate is currently 119.00 at Piranha.
Harness - one piece harness is 15 feet +/- of 2 inch webbing - $15. 4 or 5 drings - $12-15, 4 or 5 tri glides $5, and a stainless steel buckle $7. All at Piranha Dive Mfg
Crotch strap - 10-15, depending on if you buy one sewn or make it yourself.
Wing - 35lb HOG donut wing 279 at Divers Supply or Piranha
Total - 440.00 give or take.
Absolutely no need to spend 800-1200 on a back plate and wing. That's just nuts.
Save your extra cash for diving! Or buy a couple used cylinders.
The halcyon gear is nice granted. I would never touch s tek on principle. Neither is worth the brand premium you will pay.

i really appreciate all the feedback and responses. I was going to get the 40# so i could use one wing for either singles or doubles. Is there such a thing as the wing being too big for singles?
Yes, there is such a thing. A wing too wide/large will fold around the cylinder- like Mexican Tacos- it will not only look weird, it can also make difficult emptying during ascent.

Some posts mention "servicabilty" and parts: a Back Plate doesn't need service! The harness, after maybe several years of diving may need replacement, and being a 2" webbing it doesn't really matter where or which "brand" to get. Mine and wife's are like 20 years of intensive diving and the harnesses are showing age but still the original ones.

Wings do suffer from aging, the Halcyon ones both suffered from the fabric fraying at the seams after couple of years, they were replaced several years ago. My son's Mares XR wing also frayed in similar manner after single year. I have other wings Hog and one I DIY. Halcyon wings also at some stage the threading for the corrugated hose completely detahced, cannot be repaired needs replacement of inner bladder.

Good news is that it really doesn't matter which wings are paired with the BP- most have the same disatance between holes, and most BP have several holes, some are oval shaped.

Bear in mind the cam band slots, some BP and wings do not have them (my Halcyon eclipse don't) and must use STA.

When I'd need a new rig, I'd probably go with dgx.

Dude I used a

for years for both one tank and two, ice diving drysuit one tank or two, you want More lift rather than less

People diving small wings, weighting themselves to the ounce are small, diving in water that doesn't move
That was my original intention for going with 40#, for ice diving compatibility. I will be spending my free time today to do some research finally

That was my original intention for going with 40#, for ice diving compatibility. I will be spending my free time today to do some research finally
If you’re diving a drysuit you won’t need that much lift. Even with steel tanks.

I’d purchase your wing based on what diameter tank your diving. The 40lb wings is good for 8” diameter tanks.

Back
Top Bottom