DIR- Generic Does the ScubaPro S-Tek Pro BPW Meet Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you that it likely would not be accepted in t1 and c1 and does not meet the standards as outlined in appendix a of the GUE Standards 9.2.

In fundies I think their is a greater likelihood to role with it.

I saw that in appendix A when searching last night. Ive been told you just need a BPW(as far as BC is concerned). I didnt realize how specific that setup had to be.

I can tell you that it likely would not be accepted in t1 and c1 and does not meet the standards as outlined in appendix a of the GUE Standards 9.2.

In fundies I think their is a greater likelihood to role with it.
why would it not be accepted?

I saw that in appendix A when searching last night. Ive been told you just need a BPW(as far as BC is concerned). I didnt realize how specific that setup had to be.

why would it not be accepted?

Attachments

• IMG_5746.jpeg
    IMG_5746.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 17
What is your highest level of GUE certification?

Funny how all the GUE peeps seem to say it’s not needed.

I took it as him saying “no one thats commented on the S-Tek Pro BC knows anything about it”. I could be wrong.

I think only one user has chimed in on the exact setup I asked about and they really like it which seems to be typical from actual users.

Anyway when I get some kind of answer from a fundies instructor I will post here.

yea but with the continuous webbing it's fine. it's the same as any other rig. it also costs about the same as a halcyon single tank bpw setup

bob sherwood sells them at his shop up at the river. i don't think he would do that if they weren't kosher

Cinch is another gimmick. Maybe ok for rental gear.

This stuff was figured out over 30 years ago and just *works*. If you insist on being separated from your money, then get the superdelux ultrapadded multidring quickrelease uberharness. If you just want to go diving and DIR, follow the advice of those who have gone before you (and made the same mistake you’re about to make) and get a normal harness.

Adjust your harness correctly and it’s not even remotely hard to get in or out of. Adjust it poorly, and expect to have a bad time.

SMB for real stuff where you need to be seen, tall and wide. Quarry make-pretend, anything will do.

Cinch is another gimmick. Maybe ok for rental gear.

This stuff was figured out over 30 years ago and just *works*. If you insist on being separated from your money, then get the superdelux ultrapadded multidring quickrelease uberharness. If you just want to go diving and DIR, follow the advice of those who have gone before you (and made the same mistake you’re about to make) and get a normal harness.

Adjust your harness correctly and it’s not even remotely hard to get in or out of. Adjust it poorly, and expect to have a bad time.

SMB for real stuff where you need to be seen, tall and wide. Quarry make-pretend, anything will do.

When you say “cinch” do you mean the single tank adapter strap? If so it seems to be well regarded and I dont see a problem with it. Im wont be pursuing anything beyond fundies. I have no problem switching out to a Halcyon webbing setup to comply with fundies. I can then make a decision to see which I like better.

I appreciate all that DIR has brought to the community. I may find out that I still prefer not using the long hose setup or maybe I wont like the SP S-Tek but thats what taking the class and learning will teach me. I hate being kinda partial to SP but I like their gear and I really liked what I saw in the S-Tek pro. Also Im getting a superb deal on it over MSRP so it is more affordable than whats listed.

And please no one think Im trying to be a dick and go against the grain of those that have gone before me. Im learning and the DIR subforum is helping.

When you say “cinch” do you mean the single tank adapter strap? If so it seems to be well regarded and I dont see a problem with it. Im wont be pursuing anything beyond fundies. I have no problem switching out to a Halcyon webbing setup to comply with fundies. I can then make a decision to see which I like better.

I appreciate all that DIR has brought to the community. I may find out that I still prefer not using the long hose setup or maybe I wont like the SP S-Tek but thats what taking the class and learning will teach me. I hate being kinda partial to SP but I like their gear and I really liked what I saw in the S-Tek pro. Also Im getting a superb deal on it over MSRP so it is more affordable than whats listed.
Cinch system makes the shoulder straps adjustable. Effectively it means your shoulder straps will be a different length each time you get in your rig. I don't recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom