DIR- Generic Does the ScubaPro S-Tek Pro BPW Meet Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also this is why I came to this subforum. To get real answers which I appreciate. Also dont hate on me too bad as I am a newer diver as far as being active in diving again after a 23 year hiatus.

I feel like fundies(from all I have heard) will teach me a ton and get me on the right foot to be a better diver. And will probably teach me a lot about my gear which I feel is mostly solid right now.

How much does a decent harness cost that meets the standards for fundies? Just the harness with no backplate or wing.

Also this is why I came to this subforum. To get real answers which I appreciate. Also dont hate on me too bad as I am a newer diver as far as being active in diving again after a 23 year hiatus.

I feel like fundies(from all I have heard) will teach me a ton and get me on the right foot to be a better diver. And will probably teach me a lot about my gear which I feel is mostly solid right now.

It’s the best (and most challenging) class I ever took. I will be down in Mexico doing my tec upgrade with Emoke in December.

FWIW, my halcyon webbing and backplate is super comfortable. I would encourage you to try diving a continuous webbing harness before you buy something with extra padding and buckles. Properly adjusted, you just don’t need any of it and you won’t miss it. If I can get you arms in with a shoulder injury and very large dry glove rings, you’ll be fine.

the halcyon "h" webbing is also pretty soft. if you're set on the scubapro s-tek i'd just get that and stick with it. i don't think it works any differently than any other bpw setup. I would just skip on those shoulder adjustments because once you size your harness you don't really want it moving around on you

Whoever recommended a 3 ft (1m) SMB for class was spot on. I am guessing I speak for many of us when I say the 6 ft SMB I initially brought to Fundies class flopping around in shallow water just made it more difficult for me to learn the deployment steps. I later bought a practice-sized SMB ("cute," perhaps) and practiced with that until I knew the moves. Now I own SMBs of various sizes for various environments.

How much does a decent harness cost that meets the standards for fundies? Just the harness with no backplate or wing.
As I believe others have pointed out, "harness" consists of a roll of webbing, some D-rings and a buckle, and a crotch strap. There's really not much more to it. It's generic stuff, and you can buy essentially the same thing, all roughly the same quality, from numerous sources. The economical Dive Gear Express harness, for example, meets the requirements in every respect. Nevertheless ...
I want the Pro webbing because it feels more comfortable ....
I have seen others say similar. Webbing is made in various stiffnesses/softnesses. Halcyon's is notoriously stiff. My first BP/W was DSS (no longer in business), and it came with relatively soft webbing. It felt comfortable. My second BP/W I bought second-hand, and I thought I would not like the webbing as much, but I was wrong. Even the stiffer webbing feels just fine. Indeed, the stiffness made it slightly easier to put my arm through the straps when donning. I own three sets of Halcyon BP/Ws (in addition to the old DSS) and I don't even think about this aspect anymore.

Whoever recommended a 3 ft (1m) SMB for class was spot on. I am guessing I speak for many of us when I say the 6 ft SMB I initially brought to Fundies class flopping around in shallow water just made it more difficult for me to learn the deployment steps. I later bought a practice-sized SMB ("cute," perhaps) and practiced with that until I knew the moves. Now I own SMBs of various sizes for various environments.

As I believe others have pointed out, "harness" consists of a roll of webbing, some D-rings and a buckle, and a crotch strap. There's really not much more to it. It's generic stuff, and you can buy essentially the same thing, all roughly the same quality, from numerous sources. The economical Dive Gear Express harness, for example, meets the requirements in every respect. Nevertheless ...

I have seen others say similar. Webbing is made in various stiffnesses/softnesses. Halcyon's is notoriously stiff. My first BP/W was DSS (no longer in business), and it came with relatively soft webbing. It felt comfortable. My second BP/W I bought second-hand, and I thought I would not like the webbing as much, but I was wrong. Even the stiffer webbing feels just fine. Indeed, the stiffness made it slightly easier to put my arm through the straps when donning. I own three sets of Halcyon BP/Ws (in addition to the old DSS) and I don't even think about this aspect anymore.

That’s funny I started out with the dss webbing which was resin impregnated and ridiculously stiff. The halcyon webbing feels just right to me

That’s funny I started out with the dss webbing which was resin impregnated and ridiculously stiff. The halcyon webbing feels just right to me
It is indeed funny--I have the exact opposite in my head. Maybe I remembered it backwards! It shows that the stiffness really makes little to no difference. I use the DSS for single-tank vacation diving and the Halcyon for local/cave diving, and the stiffness difference no longer even enters my mind. Webbing is webbing.

edit/added: I Googled webbing stiffness on SB to find old threads discussing this. Here's just one: Harness webbing information

See post #5 for a list with comparisons.

It is indeed funny--I have the exact opposite in my head. Maybe I remembered it backwards! It shows that the stiffness really makes little to no difference. I use the DSS for single-tank vacation diving and the Halcyon for local/cave diving, and the stiffness difference no longer even enters my mind. Webbing is webbing.
i couldn't easily adjust the dss webbing so i swapped it for the halycon

I want the Pro webbing because it feels more comfortable and I like what I saw. Now if I can simply change out the webbing for the class that would be great. Maybe I wont go back to the Pro webbing or maybe I will I just dont know. The single tank adapter seems great too and I havent heard of any complaints about the backplate itself.

Yeah its going to be pricey but I love my ScubaPro stuff and I dont mind supporting them as all my stuff from them is great. If it turns out to be a huge mistake than I guess I can always sell it and go another way but I dont think I will be dissatisfied.

If anyone has links to some decent webbing/harnesses please post them so I can get an idea of costs.

Have you ever dove a bpw?

Halcyon's is notoriously stiff
I’d say it’s the least stiff webbing I’ve used the DGX webbing is way stiffer as is your classic weight belt webbing.

I take that back. I had some dive rite webbing that I replaced right away because it was super floppy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom