DIR- Generic Does the ScubaPro S-Tek Pro BPW Meet Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like this BPW ! I am 67 and I struggle to put on one with a one piece harness. On this one it is "almost" a one piece harness as you cannot separate it in 2 parts.
The webbing you can easily take it out for the hip part so no more problem with the light canister. You could do the same with the webbing on the shoulder strap but they absolutely don't bother to adjust the D rings (specialy that I replace the "big" webbing part of the shoulder by the "small" one for the hip)

I don't know what they accept in fundies but this BPW is really great : as the OP said he might buy it and rent something else for his courses, he will not regret it.

The price ? It is my money ! Why are there always someone to say it is expensive ! Who care about what I do with my money ??
Better for less expensive ? It is a very well thought product and seems very reliable. Yes there is cheaper things that are very nice, adapted and simple but I still prefer this one that is very well adapted to me...

And @PfcAJ it doesn't really add complication but it sure has its benefits.
Do you dive with backup lights clipped or the shoulder drings and stages?

If you really need the adjustability the halcyon cinch system lets you loosen the shoulder straps when the crotch buckle is loosened and doesn’t add any buckles and loose floppy webbing

I really like this BPW ! I am 67 and I struggle to put on one with a one piece harness. On this one it is "almost" a one piece harness as you cannot separate it in 2 parts.
The webbing you can easily take it out for the hip part so no more problem with the light canister. You could do the same with the webbing on the shoulder strap but they absolutely don't bother to adjust the D rings (specialy that I replace the "big" webbing part of the shoulder by the "small" one for the hip)

I don't know what they accept in fundies but this BPW is really great : as the OP said he might buy it and rent something else for his courses, he will not regret it.

The price ? It is my money ! Why are there always someone to say it is expensive ! Who care about what I do with my money ??
Better for less expensive ? It is a very well thought product and seems very reliable. Yes there is cheaper things that are very nice, adapted and simple but I still prefer this one that is very well adapted to me...

And @PfcAJ it doesn't really add complication but it sure has its benefits.

Well said!

1m SMBs are cute for class. But if you want to be seen (kind of the point), get a real one.
Which size would you recommend? I have been looking to purchase another DSMB and there is a slim 6 foot model with 12 pounds of lift; (standard 3.3 foot version has 6lbs). There are also 4.5 and 6 foot big ones which have 40 and 52 pounds of lift respectively. Leaning toward the tall thin version. Thanks.

How much does a decent harness cost that meets the standards for fundies? Just the harness with no backplate or wing.

Are you just looking for a roll of webbing to replace the non continuous webbing that comes with the s-tek pro? I think buying the s-tek pure would solve that problem.

Both kits already come with all the d-rings, triglides, crotch strap etc.

It is nice to have webbing with some markings on it like the halcyon webbing has. It makes it much easier to size because you can use the markings to measure length

For the most part any bpw is just a modular system made up of components like a backplate and wing and some pieces of stainless hardware and nylon webbing. They should all be interchangeable with one another.

I'm not toi impressed with that plate, either. Only a single strap on the tank and it's not clear that it could even accommodate a set of doubles.
It’s made for doubles, the STA uses a single strap but you can also use a traditional STA.

the whole point of a bpw is simplicity. i custom made harnesses with buckles, pivot points, etc. TWICE before I smartened up and KISS'ed my entire rig.

The fanciest thing I have on my harness now is one of these
1727354898774.png
because it is brass, loud, and looks cool. Now if I could just get it to spit fire, I'd be happy.

Are you just looking for a roll of webbing to replace the non continuous webbing that comes with the s-tek pro? I think buying the s-tek pure would solve that problem.

Both kits already come with all the d-rings, triglides, crotch strap etc.

It is nice to have webbing with some markings on it like the halcyon webbing has. It makes it much easier to size because you can use the markings to measure length

For the most part any bpw is just a modular system made up of components like a backplate and wing and some pieces of stainless hardware and nylon webbing. They should all be interchangeable with one another.

I want the Pro webbing because it feels more comfortable and I like what I saw. Now if I can simply change out the webbing for the class that would be great. Maybe I wont go back to the Pro webbing or maybe I will I just dont know. The single tank adapter seems great too and I havent heard of any complaints about the backplate itself.

Yeah its going to be pricey but I love my ScubaPro stuff and I dont mind supporting them as all my stuff from them is great. If it turns out to be a huge mistake than I guess I can always sell it and go another way but I dont think I will be dissatisfied.

If anyone has links to some decent webbing/harnesses please post them so I can get an idea of costs.

the whole point of a bpw is simplicity. i custom made harnesses with buckles, pivot points, etc. TWICE before I smartened up and KISS'ed my entire rig.

The fanciest thing I have on my harness now is one of these View attachment 863064 because it is brass, loud, and looks cool. Now if I could just get it to spit fire, I'd be happy.

I like those dragons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom