DIR- Generic Does the ScubaPro S-Tek Pro BPW Meet Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the idea is that after the class most people will find the standard configuration works great. But if someone is coming from diving a bcd with a lot of extra adjustments and other stuff that can be hard to imagine.

Thats been my take so far. It seems there is a “chance” that an instructor “may” let me do fundies if I had the Pro system. But after that you are SOL if you want to get serious.

You can reach out to John K or Marcus D at Board — MIDWEST UNDERWATER EXPLORERS to ask who they might be lining up. They’re the ones organizing fundies (and other GUE classes) at Gilboa. I took that class with Francesco and Emoke. Highly recommend asking them before buying anything. I created a spreadsheet of what I had and sent it to them.

I also highly recommend a 1 meter DSMB. My 6’ ocean DSMB was not fun to inflate at 17 feet.

I sent out an email to the board. Ill send out individual emails this weekend. Worst case scenario it proves what most here have been saying but may provide some more clarity coming from the instructors themselves.

I would have to see who is instructing and when in Ohio. I think the last one was at Gilboa and I believe the instructor flew in but I could be wrong. I really like the reviews of this unit so I may just run with it and then try to rent something for fundies as apparently that is an option.

I know Ivo from Third Dimension Diving taught a couple of classes at Gilboa earlier this year. I'm pretty sure Midwest Underwater Explorers set up the classes. If you're interested in taking the class or GUE in general I'd suggest reaching out to them.

FWIW, I use a Halcyon backplate and wing, and had a cinch installed on it at one point. The cinch caused me more issues than it solved. Every time I put it on/took it off one or both of the shoulder straps moved and ended up being uneven.

I don't know if it's been said here yet, but the length of your shoulder straps and crotch strap will determine the hight of your tanks on your back. When diving doubles the location of your tank will have a big impact on your trim. I struggled with floaty feet for a while, and the solution to increase the length of my shoulder straps and tighten my crotch strap. If I used the cinch to "snug up" my shoulder straps after putting on my harness, my tanks would be too high and I'd have issues staying in trim.

Once you get your harness dialed in for your exposure protection, you won't want it to move. I just note the number of "H"s on my harness for the different undergarments I wear (this changes seasonally for me), and adjust my harness before the dive.

IMO, for the price Scubapro charges, you're better off getting a Halcyon system. Most of their gear is made in the US and their warranty is great.

So I got some responses from a couple guys at Midwest Underwater Explorers. Just to reiterate what some here have already posted but seems to be reconfirmed.

The “Pure” SP system is good to go.

The “Pro” most likely not. Maybe it is up to the instructor. A harness change would make it compliant.

The SP BP is one of the better on the market. Halcyon is preferred if you want to spend $$

They would be happy to lend me a setup so I can take the class the way it is to be taught and practiced.

I can dive with the Pro or whatever system I want after that. Of course. They are teaching the tried and true methods and equipment setups which is why the standards seem strict.

Now that we have covered that one thing I must say. These guys seem great. Long, well thought out and not the least judgmental email responses. Reiterating that you are coming to take a class and learn the “right way”. I was slightly hesitant after reading some of the harsher responses here. Thinking “ Is this the community I really want to be a part of?”

Im not judging anyone here just saying that as a newer diver some comments were off putting. These instructors reconfirmed my desire to want to do fundies.

I filled out their questionnaire on locations of interest for taking fundies next year. I think it will be awesome. I just have a couple smaller pieces of gear to buy but ai am supposed to come and learn. Having no desire to ever go tech I can rock the Pro system if I so please, but I will get exposure to their tried and true methods and that may make me take the plunge to switch out the harness.

I may have slightly butchered my response but that is roughly the gist of it. I will edit this post this weekend after I get off the road if there are any errors.

Just wanted to keep this thread, updated with actual responses from the guys doing the classes.

Thats been my take so far. It seems there is a “chance” that an instructor “may” let me do fundies if I had the Pro system. But after that you are SOL if you want to get serious.
I don’t think you will be SOL if you want to get “serious”, I think you may just find it’s not as efficient. IMO diving at a higher level requires familiarity with your equipment and developing muscle memory so e.g locating d rings for clipping and unclipping become second nature, and so your rig is positioned in same place relative to your body to help you achieve optimal trim and weighting every time. I imagine with the quick adjustment systems if your shoulder straps are of a different length each time you get in them that would be an impediment. But I’ve never used any of the quick adjustment stuff so I can only go by what others have said.

So I got some responses from a couple guys at Midwest Underwater Explorers. Just to reiterate what some here have already posted but seems to be reconfirmed.

The “Pure” SP system is good to go.

The “Pro” most likely not. Maybe it is up to the instructor. A harness change would make it compliant.

The SP BP is one of the better on the market. Halcyon is preferred if you want to spend $$

They would be happy to lend me a setup so I can take the class the way it is to be taught and practiced.

I can dive with the Pro or whatever system I want after that. Of course. They are teaching the tried and true methods and equipment setups which is why the standards seem strict.

Now that we have covered that one thing I must say. These guys seem great. Long, well thought out and not the least judgmental email responses. Reiterating that you are coming to take a class and learn the “right way”. I was slightly hesitant after reading some of the harsher responses here. Thinking “ Is this the community I really want to be a part of?”

Im not judging anyone here just saying that as a newer diver some comments were off putting. These instructors reconfirmed my desire to want to do fundies.

I filled out their questionnaire on locations of interest for taking fundies next year. I think it will be awesome. I just have a couple smaller pieces of gear to buy but ai am supposed to come and learn. Having no desire to ever go tech I can rock the Pro system if I so please, but I will get exposure to their tried and true methods and that may make me take the plunge to switch out the harness.

I may have slightly butchered my response but that is roughly the gist of it. I will edit this post this weekend after I get off the road if there are any errors.

Just wanted to keep this thread, updated with actual responses from the guys doing the classes.
nice. just out of curiosity- what's the difference between the pro and the pure? I couldn't see anything except the back pad and the quick adjustment buckles on the shoulder straps

I don’t think you will be SOL if you want to get “serious”, I think you may just find it’s not as efficient. IMO diving at a higher level requires familiarity with your equipment and developing muscle memory so e.g locating d rings for clipping and unclipping become second nature, and so your rig is positioned in same place relative to your body to help you achieve optimal trim and weighting every time. I imagine with the quick adjustment systems if your shoulder straps are of a different length each time you get in them that would be an impediment. But I’ve never used any of the quick adjustment stuff so I can only go by what others have said.

nice. just out of curiosity- what's the difference between the pro and the pure? I couldn't see anything except the back pad and the quick adjustment buckles on the shoulder straps

Great response. Thank you.

Basically the big difference is the harness. The shoulder straps are independently adjustable and the harness is not one piece. The harness also has monoprene “pads”. They really arent much of a pad but they are there. The back plate also has a monoprene piece on it(IIRCC). The big hang up seems to be the harness. I may or may not like the harness that remains to be seen. But at its price point even swapping in the superior Halcyon harness I am still well below MSRP.

The picture below is the cinch system. It is a delrin plate attached to the bottom of the plate which allows the harness to be adjusted pulling on the webbing.
View attachment 863136

Is the Halcyon Cinch system just an over-engineered version of the Subgravity Slider ?

Is the Halcyon Cinch system just an over-engineered version of the Subgravity Slider ?

The other way around. The Subgravity slider is a simpler copy of the Cinch.

Neither one are technically GUE-F compliant but your instructor has the final say (which has been repeated here like a dozen times). They for sure won't be allowed for T1 or C1

Great response. Thank you.

Basically the big difference is the harness. The shoulder straps are independently adjustable and the harness is not one piece. The harness also has monoprene “pads”. They really arent much of a pad but they are there. The back plate also has a monoprene piece on it(IIRCC). The big hang up seems to be the harness. I may or may not like the harness that remains to be seen. But at its price point even swapping in the superior Halcyon harness I am still well below MSRP.
cool. yeah i saw the back pads were for sale separately- i would imagine the strap pads are too.

The other way around. The Subgravity slider is a simpler copy of the Cinch.

Neither one are technically GUE-F compliant but your instructor has the final say (which has been repeated here like a dozen times). They for sure won't be allowed for T1 or C1
And by the time you're in T1 or C1 you've gotten fed up with your shoulder straps never being quite right and taken it off anyway

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom