Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No dog in this hunt (directly), but ...

I have observed that some places, when things get slow and their revenue is cut in half, they think they need to double prices so they make up the shortfall. Sometimes doubling prices while cutting back on level of service....

We went to different schools of economics.

At least I WENT to school for economics...

OMMOHY

No dog in this hunt (directly), but ...

I have observed that some places, when things get slow and their revenue is cut in half, they think they need to double prices so they make up the shortfall. Sometimes doubling prices while cutting back on level of service....

Sometimes it seems like that. I've been wanting to go back to the Philippines and they just reopened but I think I'll wait a year or two. I've heard some of the places seem to be trying to make up lost revenues by jacking up prices on the newly returning tourists.

I have been staying at the Cozumel Palace since the first year it transitioned from Plaza Las Glorias. I only go to Cozumel for SCUBA. Unless they build a better hotel close to the diving, I guess I'll just have to pony up the $25 per day since taking a cab back and forth to the marina would probably cost the same but be way less convenient.

The cab ride for up to three people is $5 USD each way.

Why should you have to do this, pain in the ass and a waste of time and energy. Sorry, don't get it.
Because the owners of the pier want to charge $75 for the same three divers to use the pier.

The cab ride for up to three people is $5 USD each way.
Good to know. I did the cab to the marina thing once before when winds were too high for my dive boat. Schlepping a full frame camera and accoutrement along with a dive bag in a wet suit was ... unpleasant. I guess I will be a victim of the extortion because there simply isn't a comparable hotel close to the dive sites. Hate it, but I am no victim. The extortion is in the open and I have a choice.

I have been staying at the Cozumel Palace since the first year it transitioned from Plaza Las Glorias. I only go to Cozumel for SCUBA. Unless they build a better hotel close to the diving, I guess I'll just have to pony up the $25 per day since taking a cab back and forth to the marina would probably cost the same but be way less convenient.
Nah, I think a taxi to the southern marina is about $100MXN or $5USD from town, so it'd be the same or less from Cozumel Palace near 17th Ave. It's less than a mile from Blue Angel or 0.2 miles to Baracuda. Just stay somewhere else, or get a cab to a reasonable pier.

There is certainly no way that I'd pay $25USD a day to use a dock. Totally absurd. I've been paying $1USD to use the Safari pier in town, but if they try to get ridiculous, there are others.

Good to know. I did the cab to the marina thing once before when winds were too high for my dive boat. Schlepping a full frame camera and accoutrement along with a dive bag in a wet suit was ... unpleasant. I guess I will be a victim of the extortion because there simply isn't a comparable hotel close to the dive sites. Hate it, but I am no victim. The extortion is in the open and I have a choice.

There's the Intercontinental at the marina. South of that is the Fiesta Americana. There's also a number of reasonably priced condos near the Fiesta Americana. Also, Sunscape Sabor. I've never stayed at any of those, except the condos, so I can't compare them. The Sunscape looks nice, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom