Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe he could pick you up at the Aqua Safari pier which is almost next door. I think the fee is a couple of dollars.
I've been paying $1USD there, but it's close to 5th Ave, and the Palace is close to 17th Ave, isn't it?

Nah, I think a taxi to the southern marina is about $100MXN or $5USD from town, so it'd be the same or less from Cozumel Palace near 17th Ave. It's less than a mile from Blue Angel or 0.2 miles to Baracuda. Just stay somewhere else, or get a cab to a reasonable pier.

There is certainly no way that I'd pay $25USD a day to use a dock. Totally absurd. I've been paying $1USD to use the Safari pier in town, but if they try to get ridiculous, there are others.

Nor would I. I think a $25 pier fee is absurd but I also think the room rate at Coz Palace is absurd. The one who is fine paying $400/nt may not be willing to jump through extra hoops to avoid a $25 fee. There's no doubt that there are options to avoid that $25 fee but they all detract from the experience of being able to walk a few steps from your room to the dock and be on your way.

A friend said that the Palace now owns AquaSafari outright - I can't confirm this is true. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot. Demanding $25 for a pier fee is outrageous - and the cost of diving with them isn't competitive either. It's been a while, but last time we were out with them they only offered water between dives. They used to offer fruit, water and towels. Meanwhile, there are dive ops that also run big, slow boats and provide a meal between dives. They need to offer something more than "We are the Palace and we have Mariano" (I love Mariano!). I hope they figure this out and make things right.
Aqua Safari sold their dive op to the Palace four or five years ago. I’m afraid that the dive op has being going downhill since. Perhaps the Palace thinks that by charging this pier fee that divers will use their dive operation as opposed to others. Sad to see the decline of what was once a solid dive operation especially those of us that were being introduced to scuba diving through the Aqua Safari team.

All I can say is, way to go Cozumel, you can f**k up anything.
The last couple of years many of us have tried to help the island with our donations and our business. If this idea catches on with others, I'll leave the island to the cruisers.

The last couple of years many of us have tried to help the island with our donations and our business. If this idea catches on with others, I'll leave the island to the cruisers.
Or you could just stay at a hotel that has a dive op that you like.

Stay next door at El Cantil....very nice digs... VRBO

Well Don I’m thinking that this proposal will crash and burn! I know that a number of my friends will not stay there if this is enforced. All inclusive……I think not!

If you like the Palace, just take a cab to a pier Henry can pick you up. Won't cost you more than $3 for taxi for a few min ride.
Especially if there's more than one person in your party - take a taxi. A taxi will cost you far less than $50, and you'll probably get the dives for less money.

Or you could just stay at a hotel that has a dive op that you like.
Sure. I said, "If this idea catches on with others." I doubt that it will fly.

There is certainly no way that I'd pay $25USD a day to use a dock. Totally absurd. I've been paying $1USD to use the Safari pier in town, but if they try to get ridiculous, there are others.
If they charge $1 at the AquaSafari pier in town, why not take a taxi there to get whatever boat you want? That would sting if they figured it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom