Do you wear your "rings" diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never really considered this one. All my diving has been done in the Cold green waters of the NE, and my ring fits pretty well and is always under a big glove. My wife signed up for her open water course today, and I can see the conversation coming, There is no way that daimond is going under a tight glove without damage to the glove the ring or both. Like Scubarook my wife is very attached to her rings.

ScubaRook:
Just curious. My fiance and I, having just completed our open water certifications (yeah to us) are preparing for our first "post-cert" dive, on our honeymoon in French Polynesia. My question is:

What do you all normally do about rings? My fiance's is very scared that she will lose her diamond ring while diving. I guess I am concerned as well, although my ring fits pretty snug. Do you normally take the rings off, or wear gloves??? I am not sure FP allows gloves, and we are not real comfortable leaving our rings in the small resorts. Any suggestions?

I never wear my ring when diving. I had it fall off once during a class in a pool, and it was near panic time. I searched everwhere, turned out it was caught in my velco cumberbund :)
I always either find a safe place to leave it, or secure it somehow.

I don't where any rings or metal watches because I deal with 480V electricity everyday. Just makes life safer! so I don't put my ring on to go diving.

I don't see any practical reason to take an expensive diamond ring on vacation. If you really have a need to shout to everyone that you are married than just wear a simple band. Expensive jewelry on vacation is silly, imo.

I always wore mine , my wife never dove. But on the sportbikes she would take hers off before she put her gloves on. For a while she wore her ring while riding , but the diamond gets getting loose in the setting.

Funny story.

During my pool work three years ago with my daughter, as we were walking to the car after class, I realized my wedding band was missing. When I went back, the pool was already locked up.

The next day, I called and asked how often they check the pool filters, and she told me that it was once a month, but the pool intakes were at the top of the pool, and they only swept the bottom once a week.

At lunch, I went home and grabbed my mask and snorkel, and when I got to the pool to ask them if I could go look for it, the lady reached in a drawer and pulled the ring out and asked if it was mine.

A 4 year old had found it earlier in the morning in a kid's swimming class. :)

I only wear my band under gloves, or I leave it at home now, which doesn't please my wife too much if I am going for a couple of days diving with my buddies, but she knows now that I have a good reason to do so.

The only jewelery I own is my wedding ring and I never take it off. Might have more to do with the fact that I'm, shall we say, a few ounces heaver than I was when my bride first slipped it on my finger than anything else.

To be honest the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

The only time I have ever lost a diamond ring was when I took it off. I put it on the roof of my car to paint something and later drove off. ouch. But...I did have it 15 years, before losing it.

So...I wear mine diving, and people always ask why. I don't think it will fall off, but I think I might forget where I put it if I take it off. Plus, I admit I love looking at it underwater.

lol, itsbruce even made me take it off to get on his boat. Before he tried to kill us with that boom.

Heres a good idea my wife and I took advantage of. Her wedding band is not integral with her engagement ring, like so many are. However, we had the diamond pulled from the engagement ring to use as the centerpiece of the wedding ring.

Our jeweler, then placed a cubic zirconia back in the engagement ring and wala! instant cheap vacation wedding ring!

She doesnt have to go ringless, and I dont have to sweat losing a diamond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom