Where do you all buy your o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's not duro 90, it should be.
Rumor has it that Apeks uses duro 80 across the board. But literally everyone uses duro 90 for that o-ring.

Do you know the duro for AP1166? I use viton duro 90 caz what's what I got in the kit.. and have to replace them quite often as they simply deform and lose the round cross section.
Viton, which is just ex DuPonts marketing name, is better called FKM (Fluorine Kautschuk Material). It has a few great characteristics which speak for it.
  • A great temperature range, it can operate in -30°C to 200°C.
  • A high resistance against mineral oils, aliphatic hydrocarbons, aromatic hydrocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, acids and alkalis.
  • A very low gas permeability
The above are of high importance in a lot of industrial settings. But none, besides it's temperature range, are of any interest in SCUBA. And there only with regards to ignition points and O2 usage.

FKMs usually do not have better mechanical properties than cheap NBR. Their abrasion resistance is on par with NBR and compression set is only slightly better. FKMs do have a much better ozone resistance than NBR, which is about the only thing of interest in your specific case. That AP1166 O-Ring is exposed to the environment extensively.

ScubaPro got it right with their choice of PU (Polyurethane) for this O-Ring. PU has one of the best abrasion resistance and short term resilience that you can currently find in an O-Ring material. It has a horrendous compression set, which is of no interest if you don't plan to keep your regulator attached and pressurized for a week or so. PU has better mechanical properties than EDPM, FKM or NBR with one of the best ozone resistances (At least on par with FKM). In fact it has one of the best abrasion and short term set resistances of all o-ring materials I know of.

PUs shortcomings are of no interest for the diving industry, which would be:
  • Temperature range of only -35°C to 80°C. The material can be adjusted for slight increases in both directions. Despite this low temperature range, it is commonly used in industrial O2 settings. The low ignition point must be taken into account.
  • Low resistance to ketones, acids, chlorinated hydrocarbons, brake fluids, etc.
  • Terrible compression set
For the AP1166 O-Ring from Apeks, which is a BS1806 111, I can not think of a better suited material than PU with a 90 or 85 durometer. In fact Scubapro uses 85, not 90. If you get one of these O-Rings, it is likely going to last you for a couple of years, even with heavy use.

I do want to retract about what I said earlier about Apeks using 80 EDPM for most/all O-Rings. I have scoured all the documentation that I have and I think this is rather unlikely. ScubaPro for example uses o-rings with 50, 62, 70, 80, 85 and 90 shore. For materials they use EDPM, FKM, NBR and PU. Given this wide range I find it not very likely that Apeks would just use a 80 EDPM for everything. I was likely wrong when saying so and relied on convential wisdom.

TL.DR: For your AP1166, get a BS1806 111 made from Polyurethane (PU) in 85 or 90 shore. You'll be needing very few replacements.

@Tanks A Lot - thank you for the info.

So here is the rub - these o-rings are on my CCR unit. Right now, I basically replace the o-ring every 2 months or so (I dive often). When I take the o-ring, it has an oval-to-square cross section.

I don't mind replacing the dil side with PU, but for O2 side, it sounds like Viton is the way to go. Hella annoying.

Ah, I should have not jumped the gun. Realistically you do not have any other option than sticking to FKM. PTFE would be a superior alternative. I did order a batch that di fit a that groove a long while ago. The problem is that PTFE is not flexible at all and therefore hard to use in this area. It did work a treat, but cost was prohibitive.

Although PU is used extensively in industrial O2 settings, I would not recommend it in the dive industry. In an industrial setting it is way easier to control variables.

NameAuto Ignition Temperature °CHeat Of Combustion J/gO2 Index %
EPDM150–20047,20025.5
Nylon 6/6 (polyamide)17832,20036
Zytel 42 (polyamide)19237,000
Buna-N (Nitrile rubber)17335,60022
Hydrocarbon Greases160–22033,500–41,90021
Polyurethane18121,800–27,20022
PEEK30532,50035
FKM (Viton)300–32512,600–20,90056–100
PTFE (Teflon)>4274,200–7,10095–100
Krytox (Perfluorinated lubricant)>4273,800–4,200DNI
From ASTM: STP 1522

Stick to FKM for for your current scenario.

Hi,

I'll be taking a class on regulator servicing and am in the process of putting together my workbench.
I was wondering where you buy your o-rings? Looking to get started with one of those kits containing a bunch of o-rings of common sizes in a little box with compartments. I'll be using service kits for the 1st and 2nd stages so it's for other stuff like hoses, spgs, transmitters, etc.

Thanks!
I highly recommend Grainger online. They sell them in bulk, are very affordable, shipping is fast (3-5 days) and seem to have every make and size (viton, buna, EPDM, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom