Do you check-in or Carry-On your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
I have a new carryon from oceanic that they call the AT4 Pak.

Anyone else realise that an AT4 is also an anti-tank weapon?

I carry on my camera, housing and strobe, and my dive computer, but everything else goes into the checked baggage. A lot of the places I travel, they are strict on carry on – 5kg, and that's your lot!

Mark

Reg, computer, mask and cameras come as carry-on on the way to the destination. All other gear is checked. ( I used to check everything until they reduced the baggage weight limites.) On the way home I tend to check my reg and computer if I have space. All my gear is insured on a DEPP policy (www.equipmentprotection.com) They were very easy to work with when a camera flooded last year, so, based on that experience, I trust that if my gear was lost, damaged or stolen, I would be able to have it replaced.

Reg, computer and camera is carried on. The rest is checked and of course I have insurance for theft.

The one time I put my reg in my checked luggage I got to my destination with a broken depth gauge. Since then always carry on together with computer. Only time I had a problem was when I forgot to take the small "Remora" dive knife off the LPI hose...oops. Fortunately, the screen that picked it up was in a small airport in Vietnam - no problems at all, they just walked me down to where all the check in luggage was stored and let me put the knife in in my checked bag. The wonders of the developing world...
-j-

i carry on all of my gear except for my fins and knife/shears. i have a carry on bag that fits the limits of carry on luggage. i use a bp/wing and am able to fit everything into one bag except for my camera,stroba and housing. i put that stuff in a samller caryon bag with my other non scuba stuff. when i go through tsa security the camera housing seem to get the most looked at of everything i have. i also weigh my carryons before leaving the house. even though i have gear insurance i just feel better having the items under my control.

Russ

DandyDon:
If you did, it'd be less likely to be stolen. No street value on used Scuba gear. Yeah, it cost you a fortune, but the rare airport thief wants something he can sell.

I don't understand why you say there is no street value on used Scuba gear. We have sold our used gear on eBay in the past, and been able to get a reasonable amount of money for it. I would imagine that there are plenty of theives out there with eBay accounts.

We have been able to get get backpacks that allow us to carry alll of our camera gear and laptops on. We use another carryon with wheels for our regs, masks, and dive computers. We are checking our BCs, wetsuits, fins, etc.

I carry on the UW camera and computers & dive log and check everything else. It would be painfully expensive to replace my dive gear if I lost it.
To me, though, the only things that cannot be replaced are the dive logs. I love looking back through my dive log from time to time. Some of the entries are hilarious, especially those of my first few dives. I'd be devastated if I lost it.

-Spady

Jinjer:
I don't understand why you say there is no street value on used Scuba gear. We have sold our used gear on eBay in the past, and been able to get a reasonable amount of money for it. I would imagine that there are plenty of theives out there with eBay accounts.

Don was quoting me, and it is something he most likely accepts as truth with good reason.

Since this thread will not go away,

Do some math. If you are stealing SCUBA gear for your local pals in some destination resort country- okay, I can see that it might happen, maybe.

In the US, we have the TSA and Homeland Security. They are so far up everyone's butt that to steal from the secured airports would be insane.... unless the perceived reward justified the risk.

Say what you will about TSA and Security, and true or not, but understand this: they are there, they are watching the employees who handle baggage, and baggage handlers know they weill be dealt with very harshly if they screw up.

Now, as to the question of value. Yes, I too sell stuff on eBay. Some nicer, newer gear will bring a few bucks. Most, it is slightly better than garage sale prices- then again, on eBay- it is simply amazing what some folks will pay!

Look at return on risk. For what you can pawn, fence or eBay stolen SCUBA Gear, is a baggage handler going to mess with bulky, hard to conceal regulators and BC's? Do some math here.

What is valuable to you just because you paid big money for it doesn't mean that it is useful or valuable (worth the risk) for theives. 1000x more baggage gets lost than stolen I would wager.

Carry your cameras, watches and prescription goodies. Computers, too. Think like a thief and you would understand. Y'all are just way to honest.

Check it.

Back
Top Bottom