Do they owe us and explaination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little perspective is due here.

While DandyDon has been agressively seeking answers, speculating and making comments that sometimes do not portray the resort in a positive light, there are also those who have done the opposite. Both approaches have positives and negatives. I think more than a few have commented on DandyDon's comments, so I'll concentrate on the other perspective.

RoatanMan:
My opinions? Are they really opinions? Or are they, as I call them, just undeniable truths of life in the real world?

The personal dig was definitely uncalled for. Frustration perhaps. If we continue numerically on your list of opinions or real world truths:

5. Those who will give the benefit of the doubt to the resort.

6. Those who will take every opportunity available to make apologetic remarks in defense of the resort. ..........

RoatanMan, you said we'll likely read the accident details on some ins. co. publication.

I'm genuinely curious. Is this standard operating procedure? On which publications might one find this type of info. Names.

You also add you are confident that DAN will also provide such info when the dust settles.

If I may respectfully say so, I think this shows a bit of naivete on your part as well. Unless there is an ins. claim filed there will be no insurance co. report. If there is no payout? I do not expect an impartial and detailed public release of a private settlement - ever, to be the norm, in terms of accident analysis. DAN accepts voluntary reporting. Parties don't report, accident doesn't exist as far as they're concern. As far as I know they conduct no investigation of their own. They simply report what is reported to them.

If some want to hold CCV's feet to the fire for quoting that "they will release more information as it becomes available", you're going to have to write that off to naivete and innocence... before the invisible industrial megalith (that is the force behind recreational diving, itself) sat on them- and all other witnesses.

If one is going to rail against the professionals with on-site involvement here, take some note that the dive companions and associates of those lost have chosen not confuse the issue by releasing "their version" of this incident- here or anywhere. Aint nobody talking, and that is the norm. Look at the Wave Dancer thread and incident here on this board, same deal.

Surely its only fitting that people be held accountable for their deeds if we are ever going to get a more factual, truthful accounting from people. It's only fitting they reap the consequences of their words and deeds. Unless you propose we play their game like good little puppets. Maybe not enough time has passed in this case. Being that the statement does not say until investigation is complete, the onus is on them, to follow up withing a reasonable time or reap the repurcussions. I do not know what was said in the deleted posts on their site, but it appears this could have been better handled. You can't expect to release an accident notice in a discussion forum and have no questions from curious members. The lack of an answer to the diver who will soon be visiting them who made an (unknown to us) enquiry understandably compounds a negative reflection as seen by some. Yes, I am rehashing. The intention being to point there are legitimate issues here, not just hot air.

Silence is not neutral. It can be a means of confusion.

Many parties have a vested interest in portraying events to their perceived benefits, Speculation is inevitable in the absence of overwhelming evidence. even then in some cases. Sometimes those most opposed to it, and with the most to loose, unknowingly fuel it. And sometimes it is the best they can hope for. I'm making no judgement in this case, just a general comment on the subject.

Speculation is in the same boat as "demanding"... it is fruitless.

Not necessarily. It may very will be the most fruitful or only means of analysis available to some. Those indirectly affected by the accident can gain from any lessons to be learned. Being one myself, I understand the legal and personal considerations of those involved and the reasons they choose to act as they do. But I don't feel compelled to follow in their steps. I need to look out for my interests. Speculation, and pressure on knowledgable parties to release pertinent information, may be the choice of some. This should not be condemned any more than the choice made by some others to contain or prevent the release of information, acting on behalf of their own self interests.

Speculation can certainly get out of hand and become counter productive. We just differ in opinion as to the parties responsible. For me, its both the speculator and the one refusing to release whatever information they have. You can't say one party has the right to discuss events and the other doesn't, unless permitted to by the former. You could say it, we'll just disagree.

Many, or most of these dive accidents end up in the speculative column anyways in terms of contributing factors, exact initial emergency cause, and developing chain of events.

One more thing, a party who feels aggrieved by speculation, is free to counter as they deem fit. Let's not portray them as indefensible victims.

I welcome any comments you wish to make, I have thick skin. I have 10k posts and 1 dive. A full fledged cyber diver, like the rest of you reading this. No need to get personal though. It doesn't substantiate the issues being discussed. And I do like to point out that you make many valid points in your comments. Nothing personal. Just feel you are being a little harsh in your comments and others are jumping in the bandwagon. Just thought I add my biased, hopefully less biased comments.

Scuba:
A little perspective is due here.

Perspective is always good. As litereate of a response that you may offer, it is still a stamping of the feet and a holding of the breath until the face turns blue.

Scuba:
While DandyDon has been agressively seeking answers, speculating and making comments that sometimes do not portray the resort in a positive light, there are also those who have done the opposite. Both approaches have positives and negatives.

This is the basic thrust of all of my posts. Thus we diverge on this most seminal level. To, as you say, speculate and make comment... that is the inherent problem. It is not elevated above gossiping over the fence.

Scuba:
I think more than a few have commented on DandyDon's comments, so I'll concentrate on the other perspective.

To be exact, there have been three so far as of this writing. Thanks to Bob (NWGreatfulDiver) who laid out the specifics of the nattering harangue Don has perpetuated by his continued reposting- the child stamping the feet and holding the breath routine... That is what Bob laid out by quoting chapter and verse Don's hairball posts above.

Then Dive Partner weighed in capsulizing my conventional wisdom: When it's over, we'll know. S.T.F.U., etc.

Then Cornfed piped in with an astute (yet non-vitriolic comment. Hey SCUBA, you know about flowing vitriol, right?) It was cute and cuttingly accurate. (Gets the juces flowing, right?)

Scuba:
The personal dig was definitely uncalled for. Frustration perhaps.
Frustration exactly. No less annoying than a newbie that can't quite noodle out the search engine, this is more like a yapping poodle which is stamping its feet and holding its breath. And if the best that can be classified as a dig is the phrase "internet diver", truth is a defense, Counselor.

Scuba:
If we continue numerically on your list of opinions or real world truths:
5. Those who will give the benefit of the doubt to the resort.
6. Those who will take every opportunity available to make apologetic remarks in defense of the resort. ..........

My list was of a totally different topic, read:
" everyone has a different motive for their need to know the facts."

Your list was merely a continuation in numbers only. Not in topic. Way off base.

Scuba:
RoatanMan, you said we'll likely read the accident details on some ins. co. publication.

I'm genuinely curious. Is this standard operating procedure? On which publications might one find this type of info. Names.

You're about to mention DAN below, keep reading....

Scuba:
You also add you are confident that DAN will also provide such info when the dust settles.

If I may respectfully say so, I think this shows a bit of naivete on your part as well.

I am absolutely naive. I expect the best fom everyone, but I also am ready for the worst. DAN is an insurance compnay that actually gets people to buy their flag and imprinted accessories. I harbour no illusions.

Scuba:
Unless there is an ins. claim filed there will be no insurance co. report.<snip>

It's a system that we all built, with the help of lawyers. Please, go ahead and change it, right there from your law offices in the People's Republik of California. I'll be the first to sign the petition. Do away with the torts and liigation system, please! The truth will set you free! Power to the people, Save the Owls.....

Scuba:
Surely its only fitting that people be held accountable for their deeds if we are ever going to get a more factual, truthful accounting from people. It's only fitting they reap the consequences of their words and deeds. Unless you propose we play their game like good little puppets.<snip>Being that the statement does not say until investigation is complete, the onus is on them, to follow up withing a reasonable time or reap the repurcussions.

Okay, then, hold everyone in contempt for refusing to testify (under the advice of counsel) in your Court of the Internet. The Resort as well as what few actual witnesses there are. As an added measure, throw anybody in jail that refuses to retell wild conjecture that they heard, as well. Keep stamping your feet, it may be working.

Scuba:
I do not know what was said in the deleted posts on their site, but it appears this could have been better handled. You can't expect to release an accident notice in a discussion forum and have no questions from curious members.<snip> Yes, I am rehashing. The intention being to point there are legitimate issues here, not just hot air.

The posts that were deleted were at first running much as Don's posts, stamping feet and turnng red. They were posted and stood. Then someone got on a spree that put the board in jeopardy of litigation while they opened the issues of libelous statements. All boards are commercial (except for rec.scuba, and I know you remember your jolly times there!). They are all subject to the rule of law. There is simply no free speech. Somebody's gotta pay for the bandwidth, and they will be held liable for icky bad statements! (Look at CDNN and the running harngue on SCUBABoard in regards to Peter Hughes) If you want to post litigious statements, go get a website.

Scuba:
Silence is not neutral. It can be a means of confusion.

Many parties have a vested interest in portraying events to their perceived benefits, Speculation is inevitable in the absence of overwhelming evidence. even then in some cases. Sometimes those most opposed to it, and with the most to loose, unknowingly fuel it. <snip>

Absolutely true, but that doesn't make it right... on either part.

Scuba:
Not necessarily. It may very will be the most fruitful or only means of analysis available to some.

Conjecture and gossip? Bitter fruit. Poisonous fruit.

Scuba:
Those indirectly affected by the accident can gain from any lessons to be learned. Being one myself, I understand the legal and personal considerations of those involved and the reasons they choose to act as they do. But I don't feel compelled to follow in their steps.

Then, by all means do not! Buy yourself a resort or dive with your buddy (give up solo diving... think you can?) and wait for the incident. Then do what you please. Your hubris astounds me.

Scuba:
I need to look out for my interests. Speculation, and pressure on knowledgable parties to release pertinent information, may be the choice of some. This should not be condemned any more than the choice made by some others to contain or prevent the release of information, acting on behalf of their own self interests.

Boy, that sounds like a plan. Drop a note, maybe even stop by. Ask those who were on scene what happened. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to fill you in, maybe even some pictures. Then you could analyze that and get back to us. Could be a carreer move. Write a book even.

Scuba:
Speculation can certainly get out of hand and become counter productive.<snip> For me, its both the speculator and the one refusing to release whatever information they have. You can't say one party has the right to discuss events and the other doesn't, unless permitted to by the former. You could say it, we'll just disagree.

Horsefeathers, Counselor. Go change the system. You disagree with the reality of the legal system with which we are burdened.

Scuba:
Many, or most of these dive accidents end up in the speculative column anyways in terms of contributing factors, exact initial emergency cause, and developing chain of events.

Another undeniable truth of failure analysis. I agree.

Scuba:
One more thing, a party who feels aggrieved by speculation, is free to counter as they deem fit. Let's not portray them as indefensible victims.

Once again, not only are they prohibited from this, but what is there to say that will assist anything at this time? I am about as close to CCV as a person can get without being on the payroll. We dive a lot of places very year, and CCV amounts to two weeks every year, never a doubt. I will have my ashes spread there.

My connection? I knew Tulio when he was eight years old. What happend on 6/21, my hand to God, I only know what was in the statement, not a lick more. I also have the good sense to know that asking anyone for details is fruitless. I am just sadened by the loss of these two divers, only one of which I had the chance to meet and love.

Scuba:
I welcome any comments you wish to make, I have thick skin. I have 10k posts and 1 dive.

But what was the bottom time? :crafty:

Scuba:
A full fledged cyber diver, like the rest of you reading this.

Easy there. The only person that I am aware of that can grant the title of Certified Internet Diver is El Stroko Guapo , and I'm sure you know him.

Scuba:
No need to get personal though. It doesn't substantiate the issues being discussed. <snip>Just feel you are being a little harsh in your comments and others are jumping in the bandwagon. Just thought I add my biased, hopefully less biased comments.

Inteligent, well crafted posts are what is lacking in cyberspace. Yours is a perfect example. Compare it, if you will, to his nattering blurts that caused this commentary. You write a thesis, Don was using spray paint on a wall, and he was on his second can.

To everyone still stamping ther feet and holding their breath until "the truth comes out" , please remember propper finning techniques as ou stamp, and at least exhale upon ascent! :wink:

Intelligent discourse is always welcomed. Go do your second dive! :07:

Leave him alone, Bob. Can't see he's busy saying hello to every Tom, Dick and Harry who happen to surf by.
I've been criticized for a lot worse - some of it true. I don't guess this one even counts. "Spray paint"...?!

I would have no reservations at all diving with the resort. I never have but almost everything I have seen and heard about it is superb.

Since they did promise an announcement, I do wonder why they cannot release basic information worded in such a way to not admit any wrong doing. Such should be possible, and I think it would reasonable to expect.

Yes, I'm sure DAN will try to have info on this very well known accident in their published reports two years from now, but I think some could be explained now.

I have heard from one guest who was there at the time. I would like to see something here from people who were there, if the resort refuses.

thanks

DandyDon:
I've been criticized for a lot worse - some of it true. I don't guess this one even counts. "Spray paint"...?!

And now on to a new third can, and still holding breath whilst stamping his feet.

Looks like the spray paint vapors got to him, anyway.

"Lightheaded... must... stop... yammering.... help... can't stop...."

RoatanMan:
And now on to a new third can, and still holding breath whilst stamping his feet.

Looks like the spray paint vapors got to him, anyway.

"Lightheaded... must... stop... yammering.... help... can't stop...."

Your just as bad as you keep answering with personal attacks...but what Else would you expect from a CCV groupie

RoatanMan:
and still holding breath whilst stamping his feet.

The only person I see on this thread holding his breath and stamping his feet is you Doc. I feel confident that had anyone made the kind of personal attacks on CCV chat that you are making here, you would have deleted their posts long ago.

StSomewhere:
then rip on someone else for being one of SB's greeters.

Not I. Read prior posts with care.

Nor do I delete my posts, either from here (cdiver2) or yours (fairlybasslet aka shadymom) from CoCoChat ... y'all seem to delete your own posts rapidly enough.

I am no ambassador. I am a Curmudgeon.

Calls 'em as I sees 'em.

RoatanMan:
Not I. Read prior posts with care.

Nor do I delete my posts, either from here (cdiver2) or yours (fairlybasslet aka shadymom) from CoCoChat ... y'all seem to delete your own posts rapidly enough.

I am no ambassador. I am a Curmudgeon.

Calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Yes I deleted my post AFTER you posted this.

*Don- You and I have communicated on many levels and occasions before, and others don't know that.

My opinions? Are they really opinions? Or are they, as I call them, just undeniable truths of life in the real world?*

I took it as an apology (or the best one could expect from you) to Don for your venomous attack on him. I then thought/hoped you would be a gentleman and delete your attack/post on him letting us get back to decent discussion...My mistake not only did you not withdraw it but you persist with the personal attacks, I don't think you know what a gentleman is.

I also call it as I see it.......Groupie trying to make brownie points
And I don't care if I do get banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom