Do they owe us and explaination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are various parts to accident analysis:

Primary step is to determine the exact cause (s) of accident. Only then can other matters be investigated and analyzed, such as: What measures can be taken to prevent reoccurence? Are these measures practical and feasible to implement? And so forth....... The police will look into cause of accident with an emphasis on determining any legal violations.

We should not assume that once an investigation, legal and personal obstructions to full disclosure have run their course, there will be a full accounting released to the public by various knowledgeable parties. This often never happens. In regards to legal and police matters, there are ways to obtain public records in due time.

One thing a dive op owes its customers is safe operating systems and procedures. In one of the referenced links a representative does state that diving was temporarily suspended for a system evaluation. From a business perspective even if all their equipment and procedures are found to be in good operating order, this still leaves the issue of the DM which they are also responsible for. Some businesses are quick to place the blame on operator error, specially one who will never work for them again. In this case it's good to see this has not been done, specially without corroborative evidence at this time. I mention this only to illustrate the difficulty a business has in issuing a statement that will please everyone. In many cases, as already mentioned, it is how public and customer concerns are handled and addressed what will determine and leave a lasting impression. In this case, there appears to be much room for improvement.

Wijbrandus:
Ok, thanks. I did see that. I thought perhaps you'd heard something more.
I have indeed, but I would like to see an honest statement from CCV than release second hand information.

Tom725:
. . . . My question is do they owe the dive community an explaination or am I alone in my concern?
:06:

Interesting question. A fundamental weakness of relying on any forum such as this is to find the truth is . . .

Oh wait, this thread is a just a flame against Coco View?

Never mind then.

you're talking about something completly different. One person dying while on scuba, a acknowledged dangerous activity, that they are doing for fun of their own free will, is not the same a terrorist attack.

Get you priorities in order.

DivePartner1:
Interesting question. A fundamental weakness of relying on any forum such as this is to find the truth is . . .
Never mind then.

As one of the staunchest "describers of CoCoView", I would see this thread as nothing more than a thirst for the real story or what happened.

That said, everyone has a different motive for their need to know the facts.

1) Some search in an altruistic pursuit of knowledge for all to learn from.

2) Some want to gawk (as in: I'm sure glad that wasn't me...)

3) Some want to show you how damned smart they are in guessing, hypothesising and posturing.

4) Some want to flame the resort. (See #3 above)

Any way you come to the party, we're all still going to have to wait until after the dust settles legally. For the 99.99% of the readers here who have never been in such a disagreeable situation... know this: If you find yourself in the midst (or the sides) of any such incident, your life is now owned by lawyers and insurance companies. They control everything. What you (or anyone) may consider an innocent statement is simply not permitted.

In a year or so, we will most likely read the details in the back pages of some insurance company's publication, be sure to renew your coverage with DAN. I'm certain that it will appear in SDM as well...but not until their lawyers have checked it out and given the go-ahead to publish "details".

As for the flamers? Oh they'll keep popping up no matter what. Whether it's some self- proclaimed leader of free-truth in SCUBA or someone with a Doctorate in Divology, everybody has their motives. Far as I can see, and I'm a veteran of rec.scuba, there have been no flames here.

I've been to CCV maybe 27 times in my 30+ trips to Roatan. I'm as about as close to family as one can become to CoCoView, but still I know nothing more than what was in their original news release, posted here and from the place seen at http://www.cocoviewresort.com/webcams.html

I'll be back diving at CCV this December, not a doubt or worry in my mind. Two other dive trips first, though!

I am, unfortunately, in that .01% group as described above, and I'm savvy enough of the system to know to not bother asking for more detail than so far provided.

Understand that the autopsies are finished – both divers drown. Since it’s reported that no one alive witnessed the double tragedy it can be said that exactly what happened may never be known with complete certainty. One would think that a lot could be learned from the condition of the divers equipment and how they were found. For some reason that information seems to be secret. Are the reasons legal concerns?

We’ve been asked not to speculate on what happened. We are left to speculate on why there is such secrecy on what was found? My guess is that evidence leads to probable conclusions which those involved do not want to deal and/or anticipated legal action. This very likely was not a routine set of events. Multiple things went wrong to drown both divers. Secrecy won’t work very well for long.

fjb

DivePartner1:
Nope - just want some answers...??

Who was Randy's (the Texan) dive buddy, and where was s/he for the incident?

What did said buddy see?

Either of the lost dives report any health issues prior to the ill fated dive?

thank you

DivePartner1:

Never mind then.

There is no mention of the CCV in the original question. It is just that, a question that obvoiusly troubles a number of people. It was not directed at one resort or one incident.

Perhaps you should be a little less defensive and less critical of those asking a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom