Do they owe us and explaination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to flame a fine resort with an admirable reputation. I just want to know what happened, as the initial story sounded very unusual. CCV did promise a statement would be forthcoming - a month ago.

Tom725:
There is no mention of the CCV in the original question. It is just that, a question that obvoiusly troubles a number of people. It was not directed at one resort or one incident.

This is exactly how I took it too. While the thread has veered towards CCV (for completely understandable reasons), I still think the general question is valid.

DandyDon:
I don't want to flame a fine resort with an admirable reputation. I just want to know what happened, as the initial story sounded very unusual. CCV did promise a statement would be forthcoming - a month ago.

"
As one of the staunchest "describers of CoCoView", I would see this thread as nothing more than a thirst for the real story or what happened.

That said, everyone has a different motive for their need to know the facts.

1) Some search in an altruistic pursuit of knowledge for all to learn from.

2) Some want to gawk (as in: I'm sure glad that wasn't me...)

3) Some want to show you how damned smart they are in guessing, hypothesising and posturing.

4) Some want to flame the resort. (See #3 above)

(GET THIS...) Any way you come to the party, we're all still going to have to wait until after the dust settles legally. For the 99.99% of the readers here who have never been in such a disagreeable situation... know this: If you find yourself in the midst (or the sides) of any such incident, your life is now owned by lawyers and insurance companies. They control everything. What you (or anyone) may consider an innocent statement is simply not permitted.

(AND THIS...) In a year or so, we will most likely read the details in the back pages of some insurance company's publication, be sure to renew your coverage with DAN. I'm certain that it will appear in SDM as well...but not until their lawyers have checked it out and given the go-ahead to publish "details".

"

I'm guessing #1 + #3.... = X ?

"X" being the "loose canon on-the deck" variable, the "Internet Diver".

Carry on.

cdiver2:
Sounds like a personnel attack to me by a staunch CCV supporter.
Not doing the thread or CCV any good.

As you like it.

RoatanMan:
As you like it.
I certainly respect your opinions, thank you...

The dig on me personally was not necessary, but no biggie

DandyDon:

Don- You and I have communicated on many levels and occasions before, and others don't know that.

My opinions? Are they really opinions? Or are they, as I call them, just undeniable truths of life in the real world?

There is simply no profit in our stamping our feet and holding our breaths until our faces turn blue... aint gonna do no good here.

We are dealing with lawyers, insurance companies and certifying agencies. These are immovable forces. When the report comes, it will come. Until then, I ask you, what is the use?

If some want to hold CCV's feet to the fire for quoting that "they will release more information as it becomes available", you're going to have to write that off to naivete and innocence... before the invisible industrial megalith (that is the force behind recreational diving, itself) sat on them- and all other witnesses.

If one is going to rail against the professionals with on-site involvement here, take some note that the dive companions and associates of those lost have chosen not confuse the issue by releasing "their version" of this incident- here or anywhere. Aint nobody talking, and that is the norm. Look at the Wave Dancer thread and incident here on this board, same deal.

Speculation is in the same boat as "demanding"... it is fruitless.

Reread the posts here. All sorts of speculation reported as fact. Innocent statements grow legs and become perceived fact.

It will, as I have said, undoubtedly be well reviewed in print by DAN in their magazine. Count on it.

Until then, take a deep breath and remember to always exhale!

DandyDon:

Not necessary, perhaps ... but Don, you've posted some suggestive statements the past few days without any attempt to back them up. Innuendo can hurt both a business, and the relatives of the deceased who may be reading the thread ... and I believe it to be a bit irresponsible.

To recap what may be the root cause of the "dig" ... as you call it ...

From page 5 ...

DandyDon:
Ah ha! That's what we presumed at first, but - what if that's not at all what happened. We presumed it was a DM rescue that went bad, but - maybe the DM was in trouble first?!

Do I have information that says otherwise? Unfortunately - not that I can publish. I wasn't there. Yet, unfortunately, no one with the truth is coming forward.

Suggesting that you know something, but that CCV is intentionally witholding that information.

DandyDon:
Going to the CCV board to ask the question was a direct approach, but I am not surprised that Wijbrandus was censored.

Suggesting that CCV is actively working to prevent information from reaching the public.

DandyDon:
I certainly would not cancel a planned trip over this. Indeed, I'd suggest to anyone who has plans to go with them. Planning a future trip there might be another thing, tho - with current lack of information.

Suggesting that people should refrain from visiting CCV until there is a full vetting of the story to the public.

DandyDon:

Originally Posted by Wijbrandus
Ok, thanks. I did see that. I thought perhaps you'd heard something more.

I have indeed, but I would like to see an honest statement from CCV than release second hand information.

Suggesting that (a) you know something that CCV is witholding, and that CCV is being less than honest with information that they have released.

DandyDon:
Nope - just want some answers...??

Who was Randy's (the Texan) dive buddy, and where was s/he for the incident?

What did said buddy see?

Either of the lost dives report any health issues prior to the ill fated dive?

Suggesting that it's CCV's duty to either "speak" for the guest's dive buddy or release information about the dive buddy.

All of the above is innuendo ... and, to my personal concern, rather irresponsible speculation if, in fact, you mean your follow-on statement that ...

DandyDon:
I don't want to flame a fine resort with an admirable reputation. I just want to know what happened

... sound to me like you've suggested to people more than once that you already KNOW what happened, but you ain't gonna tell the rest of us.

Hence, the "dig" on you may not have been necessary ... but for supporters of CCV, and those who are interested in being sensitive to the feelings of the victims families and friends ... I can see where it may seem justified.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

RoatanMan:
[In a year or so, we will most likely read the details in the back pages of some insurance company's publication, be sure to renew your coverage with DAN. I'm certain that it will appear in SDM as well...but not until their lawyers have checked it out and given the go-ahead to publish "details"
Couldn't agree more. If we're after something like the facts, we might find it there someday, when everyone with a dog in the fight has had their say. Surely, not here.

NWGratefulDiver:
... sound to me like you've suggested to people more than once that you already KNOW what happened, but you ain't gonna tell the rest of us.
Leave him alone, Bob. Can't see he's busy saying hello to every Tom, Dick and Harry who happen to surf by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom