Do they owe us and explaination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWGratefulDiver:
I'm not on either "side" ... there shouldn't be any "sides" in this discussion.

I do think saying "I know something, but I ain't gonna tell" ... and insinuating that the resort was being shady in their dealings with the public ... was a bit irresponsible.

But you are mistaken ... several people, including yourself, have made statements that are very close ... if not in fact ... personal attacks and therefore violations of ToS. And when you make statements like "And I don't care if I do get banned" ... it's a pretty clear indication that you know it.

I have asked nicely that all members moderate themselves ... nothing more. No "sides" were mentioned ... I was addressing all participants equally with a respectfully worded request. If you don't want moderators interfering with your conversation, then consider conducting that conversation responsibly.

Since I'm involved in the conversation, I am disqualified from doing any more than ask participants ... out of respect for the deceased ... to express themselves responsibly. If you cannot do that, then another moderator will have to get involved in keeping hostilities out of the conversation. This isn't the board for conversation at that level. Somehow, I think you already know that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do know it as well as you do. However when you make a statement that when someone has UNDERSTANDABLY made a personal attack, and then you them continue to let them make personal attacks, then I think you have disqualified yourself from any credibility in that thread.

cdiver2:
I do know it as well as you do. However when you make a statement that when someone has UNDERSTANDABLY made a personal attack, and then you them continue to let them make personal attacks, then I think you have disqualified yourself from any credibility in that thread.

As I said ... I disqualified myself from moderating the thread by participating as a contributor. I didn't "let" anyone do anything ... I respected the rules of staff behavior by not attempting to moderate the discussion.

As such, I am free to express my opinion that Dandy Don's comments were irresponsible, and that I could see where someone might take exception to them.

I am also free to ask ... as can any member ... that we try to tone down the growingly terse tone of the conversation. It's not helping anyone.

If you choose to view that request as somehow not credible, that's your choice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cdiver2:
*sigh* Moderators are posters too. In an attempt to maintain impartiality, SB has a policy (be it official or unofficial) that moderators will not act as moderators in thread in which they are participating. Since Bob has been involved in this debacle he can't sanction anyone.

If you have a problem with a particular post I suggest that you either PM a moderator that is not involved in this thread or use the "report post" button below that particular post. Continuing to post here that Bob has lost credibility is akin to, dare I say, stomping your feet and holding your breath.

May we now redirect our posts to what may be a useful direction?

How can we, who are affected by dive injuries, learn from these happenings, much as the NTSB theoretically guides us to safer aircraft and procedures. Lord knows, the NTSB isn't perfect, but how can we get something like that?

We will have to overcome the veil that is thrown over many such incidents by insurance copmanies, courts, lawyers and parties involved.

We have such a thing in the ski industry, I know there has to be a way.

That's what I would like to resolve... or at least discuss a means to have some viable methods for reporting and collating redacted transcripts of investigations. That would be worthy of discussion.

You have to know, in some dark recess of DEMA or PADI, NAUI or ____, there is a number on a rolodex... somebody must know the details of pretty much so any incident. Forms must be filled out. X Files.

Even they resist releasing the facts for anyone think that SCUBA is the ultrahazardous activity that the media would have us believe... once they get ahold of the story!

Like I always say, the day someone on a shark dive with his VHS camera grinding away catches a shark chewing on a tourist... then the media will have a story.

Anybody remember what THE BIG story was on the morning of 9/11 attacks?

Besides Chandra Levy, it was all of the shark attacks. Remember?

Then the media flitted off elsewhere to gawk and sell advertisements.

Where is the truth needed? Where is it available? Who wants to pay for it?

RoatanMan:
Once again, not I- although you infered that it was. The posts are still there. Try a search. You have posted and recanted so many times, I never could follow your wierd logic and thought process. You chose to apologize any number of times, as well. My suggestion? Always decide if you'll stand by something before you try and form it into words.

Recanted? Now I suggest you look that up in the dictionary before you use it. Apology is not the same thing as recant. Yes, I am a big enough person to realize that I went off on someone who did not deserve it, and I apologized publically and formally for all to see. Since then, this person and I have exchanged quite a few personal messages and during these conversations I was told some quite interestng things abouthow CCV chat is run

RoatanMan:
The thread in question was posted by a documentable troll. Their first post anywhere, with a shatteringly wild announcement that their partner got Malaria on Roatan... at another resort. They posted this on the CoCoView site, but as important as they thought it was- they NEVER posted it here, on RSD, on rec.scuba, nowhere. They only reason this blather showed up on SB is that you decided to rant about how it was handled. Once again- they were trolling. If they weren't, why didn't they disemminate this 'valuable info' on a board with some real readership.
Documented troll? Is there a troll documentation forum? And who does the documentation? You also accused saftydiver of being a troll. It was only your assumption that person was a troll. Have you ever considered the fact that this person didn't know about the other message boards you mentioned? I mean, the fact that you still refer to D2D as Rodale's, when Rodales hasn't owned it for about a year already, shows me how up to date you are on things. And I never heard of rec.scuba. Does that make me a troll too?

RoatanMan:
That is quite true, but certain issues in my personal life- I have learned to let go. It's something you have to do, lest it cloud your vision. Know what I mean?
No, I have absolutely no idea what you mean and what you are implying.

Doc ... Ellen ... please!

What happens on another board should not be brought over to this board.

If you two really need to discuss this stuff, would you mind doing so privately?

Again ... a simple request. These back-and-forth posts are only taking this thread further down a rathole ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fairybasslet:
And I never heard of rec.scuba.

edited to say: I'll quit if it's not brought up again. Maybe I'll stay quit even then!

Wow This thread has gone pretty sour... I'm sorry to see that but I hope you guys can work it out.

In regards to the idea of the thread, here we have public inquiries all the time. It costs money but the idea is learn from it and give closure to the families and friends involved. So my question would be why not be open about incidents?

mrobinson:
Wow This thread has gone pretty sour... I'm sorry to see that but I hope you guys can work it out.

In regards to the idea of the thread, here we have public inquiries all the time. It costs money but the idea is learn from it and give closure to the families and friends involved.

That will happen. It may well be of public record.

mrobinson:
So my question would be why not be open about incidents?

Depends upon the wishes of the victims, as well as the directives that they agreed to with the arbiters of facts and settlements.

This may or may not be an issue here, but the parties involved simply do not know that, yet. For now, the are well advised to say nothing.

It is really that simple.

NWGratefulDiver:
As I said ... I disqualified myself from moderating the thread by participating as a contributor. I didn't "let" anyone do anything ... I respected the rules of staff behavior by not attempting to moderate the discussion.

As such, I am free to express my opinion that Dandy Don's comments were irresponsible, and that I could see where someone might take exception to them.

I am also free to ask ... as can any member ... that we try to tone down the growingly terse tone of the conversation. It's not helping anyone.

If you choose to view that request as somehow not credible, that's your choice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes you did disqualify yourself from moderating in this thread. Now let me ask you a question. If a Mod sees a personal attack on another board member should he not say something about it weather he agrees with the attack or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom