Diving with women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double125's once bubbled...
Dont swear
dont like cars
dont guzzle beer
They can carry a normal conversation with out having to remind themselves how smart,strong and wonderful they are.

I started dating Beast 35 years ago for the very same reasons! He's one of the manliest men I know who knows he has nothing to prove to anyone. I admit he's learned a few swear words and he does enjoy a cold beer now and again but I'm keeping him! :D

SueMermaid once bubbled...

Do too. *buuuuuurrrrrrp*

Again, I don't get the opportunity to dive with women, but please.... Let's get over the stereotypes.

Many of the women that I have dated have minds that could make a sailor blush (well, I used to be a sailor). There are certain words that I used to apply that from hanging around women that I don't anymore. They are perfectly innocent until the other connotations that I don't think of appear in the mind of that "sweet" and "innocent" lady. This is not a criticism of women as much as me. I just don't think of certain topics from not being around the opposite sex as much.

I am not a car fanatic. What I care about in an engine is that it gets the vehicle from point A to point B.

I used to guzzle beer, but grew up and quit *guzzling* years ago. I have one or two and that is it.

Let us just get over the stereotypes. You have the men like me who are caught up with their diving and their jobs and don't even find time to date for all the diving trips.

You have the women who grew up around men and think that they are in a locker room.

I am sure that Sue is somewhere in between.:) Most of us are.

The biological facts are hard to dispute and plain. BTW, I know of many women larger, tougher, and more strongly built than my 5'9" and 170 pounds. Anyone that is wired to bear a child for nine months and go through childbirth is FAR tougher than me. But, the subtle nuances in "wiring" are not all the same. Let's quit acting like they are.

Y'all are makin a few mistakes, as far as I can see....

1) Women ARE a different species, with their own language, social customs, and defence mechanisms. Discovery channel documentaries have repeatedly warned men that a vast amount of caution, care and respect must be employed to safely interact with them.

2) I am positive that women menstruate constantly (see #1), and that menstrual blood attracts sharks in vast numbers. This is why I dive with as many women as possible. What is better than finding sharks on a dive?

3) Men are better swimmers than women (especially if you pull off one of their fins). This is important after the sharks go into a frenzy.....I dont have to outswim the sharks, just my buddy.

I love diving with my wife....its the only time she's not yellin at me.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I need to throw my two cents in here since I noticed my newest (female) dive buddy replied as well. If I were to vote based on my experience I'd say that women make better buddies, "shark bait" or not. I had one female buddy who was actually afraid she'd attract sharks in Cozumel. Of course she tried to schedule the trip around the monthly event, so we were cursed. I told her it was no problem because Mexican sharks don't bite--they're all bark like Chihuahuas. We weren't lucky enough to see a shark, but found some EXCELLENT medicine for cramps in a pharmacia. I almost wished I'd have a period so I could take one of those things :wacko:

We did get a good laugh out of discussing the possible effects of ambient pressure on a tampon, but that's another story...

My experience with diving with both sexes is that females tend to be a little more conservative and open to criticism about their diving habits/techniques, whereas men tend to be braggish/competetive/ and very close minded when criticism is offered.

Ofcourse each sex has divers of all types, but I have never seen a woman diver who was not conservative, but I have dove with some real bone head males.

Some women need help donning their gear, then again some males do to, but they dont ask for help.

Once your in the water though you treat your buddy inregardless of sexual nature.

Jason

I suppose I'm just a fast kitter upper - 'for a girl'. I'm generally the first in the water - I guess it's impatience not wanting to get caught in the crowd getting off a cattle boat.

And thank you to SueMermaid for pointing out that women do have ways of handling personal hygene.

The women I've observed not being comfortable "kitting up", getting disoriented, losing gear, etc., were usually women who were diving for all the wrong reasons anyway - because their boyfriend/husband/fiance dives. They're usually easy to spot in the pool in the first classes. They are self conscious because it's not something they'd necessarily dream up to do themselves.

I've seen plenty of guys walk to the back of the boat without their gear in order - including not even having the regulator attached to the tank! One guy even with his weight belt UNDER his wetsuit. An instructor stopped him, fortunately, and corrected the situation.

I have to admit, however - after 18 years of diving, I did finally meet a woman who dives with lipstick on. Her mouthpiece is stained from it and everything.... Oh dear, think the sharks would mistake it for blood? =-)

i changed my mind.

ooh, i can hear some of you guys thinking "how like a woman!"

Zen,
I hope as a graduate in biology, and a female you will take what i am saying with a bit of weight. Boys, dont read this post if you dont like frank talk on the topic! The average female bleeds for a maximum of 7 days. During this time she will lose no more than an egg cup-full worth of blood. (seriously girls that is all u lose each month!)
If you do the math, that is 1 eggcup full of blood, divided by 7 days,(7th of an eggcup-full) divided by 24hrs (24th of that 7th of an eggcup-full) and then multiplied by the diving time to calculate roughly how much blood she will lose during her dive time. That doesnt take into account the fact that women may use a tampon! (Which absorbs the blood so it wouldnt get into the water)

Not forgetting that she will be zipped up tightly into her wetsuit.. the liklihood of a shark picking up a scent? And of course i havent even begun to dicuss with you the laws of dilution of that minute amount of blood in the mass of surrounding water....

A shark (if infact there is one around) will be more likely to pick up on your testosterone! (thats a joke, dont quote me on that part!)

Does that settle your nerves?

What's an eggcup? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom