Scariest diving incident -- Lightning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always understood the best place to be is under the surface of the water. If the resources are right (plenty of gas, no boat waiting on you, know the weather patterns will generally blow by quick, etc) the best thing is to take a nice long extended stop and just wait for it to blow by. Cave divers who exit with a ton of gas would be perfect for this. A cattle boat off shore, in strong current, not a good choice.

My wife and I surfaced in a waterspout in Fort Luaderdale circa 1982. The boat could not see us so went to the other side, meanwhile we went back down and popped up where the boat should have been. Perplexed we went back down and used the last of our air to go back now to the other side, meanwhile the boat went back where it was. This got to be concerning but in due course they found us and all ended well with a laugh. The determined captain said he was not leaving until he found us, he was not giving up, and then the sun came out.

Good info, but it doesn't tell us what to do if a storm hits while we are under. It says if you surface in a storm.

If you surface from a dive in a storm, it might be reasonable to consider continuing to dive at 20 to 30 feet, especially if you surfaced far from the boat or shore and have reason to believe the storm will be short-lived or is quickly losing intensity. However, this approach should be considered only if all safe diving guidelines can be followed; getting out of the water quickly generally is a better option.

Good info, but it doesn't tell us what to do if a storm hits while we are under.
I love lightning while diving on a reef. I'll try to wait out the storm underwater, but that's not always possible. Still, the flashes that light up the entire reef burn an indelible image on my mind.

Good info, but it doesn't tell us what to do if a storm hits while we are under. It says if you surface in a storm.
It makes references that lightning doesn't go deep, staying at 20-30ft is good. But if at the surface, get out asap..

"Some might think it is a good idea to stay underwater as lightning does not tend to penetrate very deeply into the water column, but this is not practical in most situations. Gas supply, no-decompression limits, body temperature and stamina are all more important considerations. If you surface from a dive in a storm, it might be reasonable to consider continuing to dive at 20 to 30 feet, especially if you surfaced far from the boat or shore and have reason to believe the storm will be short-lived or is quickly losing intensity. However, this approach should be considered only if all safe diving guidelines can be followed; getting out of the water quickly generally is a better option."

In the northeast I have the luxury of choosing days to dive and avoiding storms entirely.

I imagine that's not the case in Florida where T storms are everyday, especially in the summer.

I love lightning while diving on a reef. I'll try to wait out the storm underwater, but that's not always possible. Still, the flashes that light up the entire reef burn an indelible image on my mind.
Part of what we're debating/discussing is, what if the captain is recalling divers? Do you skip your safety stop? Does the answer change if you know you're in a lightning storm? I honestly would probably do my safety stop. Is that the right thing?

I did my AOW night dive as a shore dive to the airplane at La Cieba in Cozumel. We entered the water at dusk and had a perfectly wonderful dive. We returned to the starting point (Dive with Martin) and packed up our gear. I walked across the cruise ship parking lot and discovered it had a couple inches of water on it. I hailed a taxi and asked the diver if it had rained. He was amazed I didn't know. While we were having our pleasant, shallow dive, a thunderstorm had been raging, with continual lightning flashes.

About a decade later I had a pleasant dive in Cozumel and surfaced to find the boat crew wearing rain gear. What's up? We had missed another terrific storm. My wife was in a restaurant, and they had to climb on stools as it flooded. Five boats sank.

I say stay in the water as long as you can.

In the northeast I have the luxury of choosing days to dive and avoiding storms entirely.

I imagine that's not the case in Florida where T storms are everyday, especially in the summer.
No such luxury in Florida. It could downpouring across the street and sunny on the other side. Then the whole thing is over in 10 minutes. It's completely unpredictable.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom