Diving Jupiter, March 26th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck:
Simon, actually, the first two years I dove here (since this is where I live and dove my first 100 dives or so) it was the way the charters I went on ran their boats. Rampage (past tense), DCI, Diversity are just a few off the top of my head who do so. Mid county (Lantana, Boynton, Deerfield) it's the general standard. Though there are others--Kevin, for instance, leads group dives on Splashdown, to name just one.
You are correct, however, that the group dive is more the norm in Jupiter and Ft. Lauderdale. Though American Dream II did put in no less than 6 flag groups last weekend.
Generally these charters cost just a little more.

Just as a matter of record...

We give groups that want to dive together their own flag and float. Even if you want to be a group of one. :11:
We also offer a guide if anyone wants one. No one is compelled to dive with the guide. We just figure that if people are new to the reef system, its kinda neighborly to offer show them around.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

simbrooks:
I did my first saltwater dives at Jupiter #12/13 i believe, it was kind of deep and assuming you get some kind of SI (we didnt last time as we left late from the dock which hurried up our time on the boat) air is a possible combo.
Just for the record, your SI was cut short because you were under weighted and had to come back to the boat, get the proper amount of weight, and then be re-dropped. I don't bring this up as a smack down to you Simon, I just refuse to allow other readers to perceive Captain Paul on 'The Temptation' as an unsafe Captain, or one whom rushing his divers back in the water to keep a schedule. My SI was more than acceptable, as were the rest of the group. I'm sure if you re-read your post, you'll be able to appreciate why this correction was needed.

I would NEVER recommend a boat op or a Captain who would ever put any of my closes buds in harms way. Captain Paul prides himself with his ability to keep divers safe and still make sure 'WE' have an amazing dive!

Scubakevdm:

We give groups that want to dive together their own flag and float. Even if you want to be a group of one. :11:
We also offer a guide if anyone wants one. No one is compelled to dive with the guide. We just figure that if people are new to the reef system, its kinda neighborly to offer show them around.
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Whoops, I stand corrected. We're such the big happy Conch family that I didn't "remember" that maybe things get done differently with other groups.
Additionally, I apologize for speaking for you/Splashdown, Kevin. I try not to do so, but even shy little-ole me sometimes speaks before I think. :)

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm ready to DIVE!!!!!!

Scubakevdm:

the group guided dive can be ok as long as everyone knows that they have no assigned buddies unless they've taken it upon themselves...rarely happens.
also there are those that have not used the flag and may not be aware of the
basics of this type of dive. I was in boynton last weekend and two groups failed
to bring in their line when they ascended and had fifty feet of line floating around
in the water, captain was not happy. the reason for my post was just to let those
divers know that if it is a group thing they should be prepared to take care of themselves as they surface. not only being very cautious of any passing boats
since there is no flag above to keep them from crossing directly over you but also
be prepared to make yourself visible to your dive boat in the event weather does change a bit, swells etc.

idive2:
the reason for my post was just to let those
divers know that if it is a group thing they should be prepared to take care of themselves as they surface. not only being very cautious of any passing boats
since there is no flag above to keep them from crossing directly over you but also
be prepared to make yourself visible to your dive boat in the event weather does change a bit, swells etc.
Like other (non-dive) boats care about divers and their flags :rolleyes:, they are supposed to stay a little more than 50ft away from the flag, was it 200ft cant recall off the top of my head. Even so, if you are in a group diving with one flag between you, just keep the DM in sight, ascend up the line (not holding it, just keeping it in sight) and you have your flag protection.

AGAIN i will state, it may be a rare occurance that you dont get individual flags, but i know it has happened and so i can quite reasonably say that it isnt the case 100% of the time - as i originally stated above, it does happen, as i have also had dives where our smaller group has had a flag and so have other groups on the boats, i have been on others where its a large group following one flag. I am not as experienced on boat diving as some of you guys, purely by location, just as you guys arent as hot on the springs and caves, but i know what i have seen/how my trips have gone diving in those couple of dozen boat trips, see Kev's post - i have dove both ways from his boat. I am not saying every boat dives the way i described, but i am countering the idea that every boat dives the way idive2 and Krista state all the time, cos its not the case. Its a mixture of the two as i originally stated :wink:

baitedstorm:
Just for the record, your SI was cut short because you were under weighted and had to come back to the boat, get the proper amount of weight, and then be re-dropped. I don't bring this up as a smack down to you Simon, I just refuse to allow other readers to perceive Captain Paul on 'The Temptation' as an unsafe Captain, or one whom rushing his divers back in the water to keep a schedule. My SI was more than acceptable, as were the rest of the group. I'm sure if you re-read your post, you'll be able to appreciate why this correction was needed.

I would NEVER recommend a boat op or a Captain who would ever put any of my closes buds in harms way. Captain Paul prides himself with his ability to keep divers safe and still make sure 'WE' have an amazing dive!
As for Capt Paul, i never said he was unsafe, ran a bad boat or rushed people in any way. I will accept my dive was 5 mins delayed compared to the rest of the group due to being "underweighted" (which is strange as i used the same weight when i tried to go down that dive as i did the last time in the same config, surprised me to say the least), which was swimming back to the boat, grabbing 4# and dropping down on the bubbles again, then Jeff (i think) and myself came back up with the DM at the end of the dive - admittedly that was a little time after others came up.

BUT the big time issue to me was not leaving the dock til at least 9.30 rather than 9am as scheduled - i think that is a much larger factor and cut the potential SI by 30 mins. My short second dive was due to me being cheap and not getting two tanks of nitrox and also the self-imposed short SI, i really should have sat out longer after that first dive, but i probably wouldnt have gotten in a second dive if i had done that - my bad. I like Capt Paul, i enjoyed the dives, i want to dive with him again, that was a rare occurance that schedules were a little hurried by all involved.

KBeck:
Whoops, I stand corrected. We're such the big happy Conch family that I didn't "remember" that maybe things get done differently with other groups.
Additionally, I apologize for speaking for you/Splashdown, Kevin. I try not to do so, but even shy little-ole me sometimes speaks before I think. :)

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm ready to DIVE!!!!!!

Actually, you were correct the first time. I do guide groups on the reef. I just wanted to add that you don't have to go with me or Peter if you don't want to.
Hey! There is no need to apologize! We are just one big happy Conch family!

Hey Kevin, you gonna make it up to my neck of the reef and dive with us?

Boats all full now!

The boat is not FULL! TWO more spots left.... Step Right Up! Get yer tickets! - - Hurryy hurry... Two Spots left..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom