Diver lost in 100' off Juno Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver,

Thanks for the clarification. We saw the Coast Guard helos flying back and forth, overhead and saw boats searching the area. There wasn't much current, where we were and it was difficult to imagine her being found in the inlet, like the news reported.

I actually got separated from my group, while photographing, couldn't find a sole or the reef line, so surfaced and got successfully redropped.

Rick

What we DO know (second-handedly by people "in the know"), is that she went lobster hunting on the Blue Tang at a location known as the Hole in the Wall. She was diving 30% Nitrox. The Hole in the Wall is a 140' plus dive, less if one remains on top of the reef (but not by much).

On the "what could have happened" side is: lobster hunting can be strenuous, and deco time can sometimes be overlooked when one is intent on catching the "last one." (Again, just a scenario....I in no way mean to say this is what I think happened.) Another thing that possibly could have happened is that having a mixture of 30% at that depth could have thrown her into a CO2 overload, thus not alerting her to any LOA or OOA possibilities. Again, I would not presume to infer that this is the case, but I believe that the purpose of this type of thread is for others to learn what can go wrong to prevent tragedies like this from occurring again, if possible.

I knew Eve only from seeing her in a dive shop. I was not personal friends or even acquaintances with her, but I would think she would want us to learn from her experience, whatever that might be. I know I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Eve was a good diver and I am glad they found her. With Nicki we can only wonder what happened. A lot of good divers have been lost at that site. It is deep, has strong currents , sharks and boats. These things we have no control over. Other things that can happen, bad air mix, equipment failure, running out of air, deco .... the list can go on. I hope we have a reason that we can learn from.

R.I.P. Eve I will miss you

Hopefully she will be found safe.

This sucks.

Missing diver's body found West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Treasure Coast local news, weather, live radar, investigative from Newschannel 5 | WPTV.com

Missing diver's body found
Last Update: 2:06 pm
JUNO BEACH, FL--The body of a 51-year-old Jupiter diver was located by fellow divers around noon today.

51-year-old Eve Schwartz went out on the dive vessel Blue Tang on Friday afternoon with her fiance and family friend but never resurfaced after the dive.

A search that included units with the U.S. Coast Guard, Florida Fish & Wildlife and Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office was issued and concluded this afternoon.

Schwartz's body will be transported to the Palm Beach Medical Examiner's Office.

Hopefully she will be found safe.

Sorry, nope...

What we DO know (second-handedly by people "in the know"), is that she went lobster hunting on the Blue Tang at a location known as the Hole in the Wall. She was diving 30% Nitrox. The Hole in the Wall is a 140' plus dive, less if one remains on top of the reef (but not by much).

Amid all the speculation, I feel compelled to share what happened that day. BTW, we're all guilty of speculation - I've been trying to figure this out myself. I had posted this on another board and am just copying it over - it was hard enough to write the first time.

Eve had called me early in the week to dive on Friday with a group of our friends that have been diving together for a number of years. All was perfectly normal and we were in a great mood with the 4 day holiday weekend looming. The seas were 2-3 ft rollers, nice and easy. Eve was her usual chatty self as we talked of dives we wanted to do, trips we wanted to make to the Mona Passage and the Solomon Islands, her aging cats and the possible coming storms out there. All was well. Nothing was amiss.

I was part of the first group on the platform as we set up to dive. Eve and Quinn were a little further up the boat and would have been coming in behind me. We were probably in 120ish ft when we first dropped as my max depth was 111ft and I was probably 10-15 ft from the bottom. I immediately started heading just west of north as I had a 33% mix. (Eve's was 32%). Vis at the bottom was maybe 30 ft but it was quite murky in the middle of the water column. I moved into 100ft and was hopscotching some blow outs looking for lobster when Eve and Quinn swam over me giving me her classic parade day, princess wave.

I noted about then that it was pretty sharky. There were several (6-7) dusky sharks that were about 10 ft long and fairly agitated. They were darting around, zipping back and forth. I had my speargun but elected not to shoot anything given the shark activity. Quinn was spearing as were several of the others in our groups so I'm sure that was the stimulus for the activity. There was even a 12 ft hammerhead in the mix.

I hooked up with Eve and Quinn and we all stayed together bouncing from hole to hole. Eve was doing the photog thing. About 35 minutes into the dive we came to our last blow out. Quinn shot a nice hog fish there, I tickled out a nice size lobster. Eve had come down into the blow out and took pictures, then assumed her hovering position over us as we completed our tasks. My bug ended up being an egger. I held it up in the net to show Eve the size and then the eggs. She had her gauge in her hand as we made eye contact. There was no indication of any issues. I took my eyes off of her to free the bug out of my net (it was caught on the horns) and watched to make sure the Quinn had his fish strung and spear gun back together. Maybe 30 seconds. When I looked up she was gone - just like that. Assuming the she had drifted into the murky water and started to ascend, I left Quinn to catch up with her. I never did. I looked for her blue fins, her white tank, her bubbles in the water column but saw none of that. Given the bad vis, I didn't think a thing about it. I figured we meet on the surface. I did a 5 minute hang and was on the surface in 41 minutes with 1200 psi in my tank. The boat was close by picking up divers - I thought Eve, but no. They picked me up and Quinn - just a few feet away- just a minute later. We realized that Eve was not on the boat and we did not see her surface signal anywhere. Other boats in the area were immediately called to be on the look out and the coast gaurd was called well before Eve was "offically" late or overdue. There were probably 6-7 boats, 2 planes and a helicopter searching within minutes. There were divers from other boats dropped in our drop location within 15 minutes of us realizing Eve was missing. We all did 2 more dives looking as well. It was a heart breaking day.

What happened? I wish I knew. It was just that fast. She was there and then she was gone. Having dove with Eve many times, I know we were pretty well matched on air consumption. She never gave any indication that there was an issue or that she was low on air. She could have gotten to us if there was an out of air emergency. Eve carried several signaling devices for both above and below the surface and was very experienced. She would not have hesitated to use them.

What can we learn from this? It could happen to any of us. It could have been me or anyone else on the boat. None of us are getting any younger. I hate like hell that it was my dear friend Eve.

I am truly devastated by her passing. It just doesn't make sense. I've analyzed and re-analyzed this so many times that I'm just sick. I am so grateful she was found. I hope in time there will be some more definitive answers to provide closure. I'm equallly grateful no one was hurt while looking for her. Incidentally, all of the coast guard, marine patrol and PBSO officials involved were very professional, efficient, respectful and sensitive to our loss. I really appreciated that too.

Her smile, her sense of humor, her wave, her many Eve-isms will be greatly missed. Our Seafish Girl, Mermaid and Dive Diva can never be replaced.

We've got a great group of experienced divers in this community who are all rocked by this tragedy. Thanks to all of you for your support and thanks to all of you outside the South FL area for your good wishes and condolences.

Take care, stay fit and be safe out there. I never want to go through this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE]

Amid all the speculation, I feel compelled to share what happened that day. BTW, we're all guilty of speculation - I've been trying to figure this out myself. I had posted this on another board and am just copying it over - it was hard enough to write the first time.

Eve had called me early in the week to dive on Friday with a group of our friends that have been diving together for a number of years. All was perfectly normal and we were in a great mood with the 4 day holiday weekend looming. The seas were 2-3 ft rollers, nice and easy. Eve was her usual chatty self as we talked of dives we wanted to do, trips we wanted to make to the Mona Passage and the Solomon Islands, her aging cats and the possible coming storms out there. All was well. Nothing was amiss.

I was part of the first group on the platform as we set up to dive. Eve and Quinn were a little further up the boat and would have been coming in behind me. We were probably in 120ish ft when we first dropped as my max depth was 111ft and I was probably 10-15 ft from the bottom. I immediately started heading just west of north as I had a 33% mix. (Eve's was 32%). Vis at the bottom was maybe 30 ft but it was quite murky in the middle of the water column. I moved into 100ft and was hopscotching some blow outs looking for lobster when Eve and Quinn swam over me giving me her classic parade day, princess wave.

I noted about then that it was pretty sharky. There were several (6-7) dusky sharks that were about 10 ft long and fairly agitated. They were darting around, zipping back and forth. I had my speargun but elected not to shoot anything given the shark activity. Quinn was spearing as were several of the others in our groups so I'm sure that was the stimulus for the activity. There was even a 12 ft hammerhead in the mix.

I hooked up with Eve and Quinn and we all stayed together bouncing from hole to hole. Eve was doing the photog thing. About 35 minutes into the dive we came to our last blow out. Quinn shot a nice hog fish there, I tickled out a nice size lobster. Eve had come down into the blow out and took pictures, then assumed her hovering position over us as we completed our tasks. My bug ended up being an egger. I held it up in the net to show Eve the size and then the eggs. She had her gauge in her hand as we made eye contact. There was no indication of any issues. I took my eyes off of her to free the bug out of my net (it was caught on the horns) and watched to make sure the Quinn had his fish strung and spear gun back together. Maybe 30 seconds. When I looked up she was gone - just like that. Assuming the she had drifted into the murky water and started to ascend, I left Quinn to catch up with her. I never did. I looked for her blue fins, her white tank, her bubbles in the water column but saw none of that. Given the bad vis, I didn't think a thing about it. I figured we meet on the surface. I did a 5 minute hang and was on the surface in 41 minutes with 1200 psi in my tank. The boat was close by picking up divers - I thought Eve, but no. They picked me up and Quinn - just a few feet away- just a minute later. We realized that Eve was not on the boat and we did not see her surface signal anywhere. Other boats in the area were immediately called to be on the look out and the coast gaurd was called well before Eve was "offically" late or overdue. There were probably 6-7 boats, 2 planes and a helicopter searching within minutes. There were divers from other boats dropped in our drop location within 15 minutes of us realizing Eve was missing. We all did 2 more dives looking as well. It was a heart breaking day.

What happened? I wish I knew. It was just that fast. She was there and then she was gone. Having dove with Eve many times, I know we were pretty well matched on air consumption. She never gave any indication that there was an issue or that she was low on air. She could have gotten to us if there was an out of air emergency. Eve carried several signaling devices for both above and below the surface and was very experienced. She would not have hesitated to use them.

What can we learn from this? It could happen to any of us. It could have been me or anyone else on the boat. None of us are getting any younger. I hate like hell that it was my dear friend Eve.

I am truly devastated by her passing. It just doesn't make sense. I've analyzed and re-analyzed this so many times that I'm just sick. I am so grateful she was found. I hope in time there will be some more definitive answers to provide closure. I'm equallly grateful no one was hurt while looking for her. Incidentally, all of the coast guard, marine patrol and PBSO officials involved were very professional, efficient, respectful and sensitive to our loss. I really appreciated that too.

Her smile, her sense of humor, her wave, her many Eve-isms will be greatly missed. Our Seafish Girl, Mermaid and Dive Diva can never be replaced.

We've got a great group of experienced divers in this community who are all rocked by this tragedy. Thanks to all of you for your support and thanks to all of you outside the South FL area for your good wishes and condolences.

Take care, stay fit and be safe out there. I never want to go through this again.

Eve sounds like a very special person.

May she rest in peace.

Scubagalpal, thanks for your account. I can't even begin to imagine how painful it must have been for you to recount the events of the tragedy. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you, Quinn, and all other loved ones that Eve has left behind.

Back
Top Bottom