Coast Guard searching for missing Deerfield Beach diver - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This surprised me too, especially if it was from the Lady Luck to shore. Hearing the same thing about the diver swimming to the beach from multiple sources though.
How does that work with this...??
I don't think so if the Coasties continued the search for at least three days. And it was the charter boat that called them.

How does that work with this...??

I’m hearing the guy was pissed off, and didn’t go back to the dive shop because he got abandoned. I hope it’s true, sure better than a fatality.

Lance

I’m hearing the guy was pissed off, and didn’t go back to the dive shop because he got abandoned. I hope it’s true, sure better than a fatality.

Lance
Oh I would be exceptionally pissed off too. You could bet though I would have called the dive shop to tell them off and then reported them to the USCG. The only thing that makes it hard to figure is if he swam ashore I would have thought the Coast Guard would have spotted him unless he made the swim almost all underwater.

Underwater is easier than swimming topside: no chop.

Let me get this straight. A guy gets separated from his dive boat for whatever reason, swims ashore over 1 mile, makes headlines and doesn't notify the Coast Guard to call off search and rescue which continues 2 more days. Then it makes headlines that the search by the USCG is called off.

I'm supposed to believe that if the search was called off because the guy is sitting on the Chesterfield at home and that fact wouldn't be included in the news article?

Let me get this straight. A guy gets separated from his dive boat for whatever reason, swims ashore over 1 mile, makes headlines and doesn't notify the Coast Guard to call off search and rescue which continues 2 more days. Then it makes headlines that the search by the USCG is called off.

I'm supposed to believe that if the search was called off because the guy is sitting on the Chesterfield at home and that fact wouldn't be included in the news article?

This happened 17 days ago. More likely Erik Gaunt is MIA. Condolences to Gaunt family.

Remember the story of the Miami Dolphins player that allegedly fell off his boat and swam 27 miles over 16 hours in 73 degree water in 3'-5' seas.... I didn't buy that story either.

Back
Top Bottom