Diver lost in 100' off Juno Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The current was not particularly hateful that day - surpisingly..... .

Thanks so much for the reply. I was very curious about the current because, as you mentioned, it would be a rare day that she could comfortably hover above you. I was thinking that the hovering could somehow have been indicative of a problem she was having, but you seem to have put that to rest. Also the depth information is enough to convince me that it was not an oxygen hit (assuming the tank analysis was correct).

A terrible mystery so far. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

A terrible, terrible tragedy and mystery. My heart goes out to all who knew and loved her. A tremendous loss to the dive community. It shows we don't know everything we need to know about diving safe and returning to the surface alive. I hope some good comes out of this tragedy that may help others. What better tribute to a well-thought of diver.

The current was not particularly hateful that day - surpisingly. I will say that Eve was in a hover - that is, not moving and holding her space. I've done that dive with that particular group of divers many times and know how bad the currents can be - accounting for the "loose buddy system" you referred to. Often all it takes to get seperated is for one person to stop. I can't say if it was 1 knot current vs 1.5 knots or .75 knots but I can say that I was able to swim back against the current that day. It was actually one of the most benign currents I've dove in that area.

Eve was not kicking/struggling to stay there. Having dove with Eve many times, this hover was a classic Eve pose. She would not have been able to hold the hover in the hateful currents that are often there. She had been in the blow out with us but moved up and out of the way. She had been taking pictures in the hole - and others along the way.

The vis and the sharks were the only wild cards that day. (Thankfully, the sharks had no part of this.) Once you got about 20-25 ft above the bottom the vis quickly deteriorated. With all the storm water run-off, the middle waters were very murky. It had been like that the week before when we were all diving in Boynton too.

The bottom where we were was 100 ft. so our average depth would have been about 85-90 ft between holes. If one of us saw something we wanted to check out, the other two of us would wait - yes, we were able to hold our positions in the current. Even using the more conservative ATA of 1.4, we were well within our safe MOD.

No, I never actually grabbed her gauge and looked at it. We did check our own and signal OK though. In this group, given not only the experience level, but also the familiararity of diving with each other, this would not have been a common practice for us. I do this, however, when diving with less expereinced divers that I'm not as familiar with.

In Caribediver's defense, for all of us that knew Eve well and/or were there that day, our emotions are more than a little raw. Some of the speculation has seemed a bit callous given how we are hurting. I appreciate that the intent of this forum is to prevent future accidents. I only added my post to try to disspell some of the speculation and misinformation that is circulating. Perhaps no one has speculated more than me (and certainly Quinn and the rest of us that were there) as to what "really" happened. The sad truth is that we may never really know. I still do the "if only" and "I should've" dance till I'm dizzy. I'm sure I'll second guess this for a long time to come. We all have to make peace in whatever way we can: accept that it was God's will, fate or just a horrible, stinking accident. I just wanted to convey that this was not a case of being careless, negligent or acting like "cowboys". It was a group of close friends and experienced divers enjoying a beautiful morning dive.

Our group has had an outpouring of support from many folks, some we know and some we hope to meet some day. Thanks to all of you.

Great post, thank you.

Whenever a local diver passes on, there is always a lot of speculation. That has happened where I live too.

And if you happen to be in the same group in the water, then there is a lot of soul searching as well. And that has happened here.

I have come to rely on my DPV more than any buddy. And on those rare occasions when I am paired with a buddy, I tend to watch over them like a hawk now, after having read so many of these stories. I rarely dive with single tanks anymore, so running OOA is simply not an issue ever.

Even so, any one of us could end up as the topic of an obituary like this anytime. So in respect for the victim I will simply pray that something like this does not also happen to me, and hope that my prayers deserve to be heard. After doing everything else possible, that is always the final preparation.

So if it happens to me, then I would not want anyone else to blame themself.

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I was diving on another boat, probably a half mile away from the accident scene, that day. We had very little current for the area. Probably under 1 knot, I would guess. When the news came to us, someone said to pray for them, that a diver had not returned to their boat and was overdue and that the Coast Guard had been called.

I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I just felt it was too late, even then and that the worst had happened. I had been on other boats in the area, during squalls, lightning storms, heavy currents, etc. I know what it feels like when someone gets swept way out of sight from the boat (on the surface) and it takes a long time to locate them, even with a sausage deployed. It was obvious to me that this would not be the case, today. The surface was relatively calm and not much current/drift. I knew if a diver was supposed to come up, they wouldn't be hard to find. . . even without a safety sausage.

A rumor I've heard is that Eve was found on the bottom, tank and BC completely empty of air (Nitrox), with her sausage partially deployed. Any truth to this or not? That seems extremely strange to me.

Another thing I'd like to get cleared up. . . were they actually doing Hole in the Wall swim through or just "deep diving".

My sincerest respect and condolences for all her friends/family.

Rick

A rumor I've heard is that Eve was found on the bottom, tank and BC completely empty of air (Nitrox), with her sausage partially deployed. Any truth to this or not? That seems extremely strange to me.

Another thing I'd like to get cleared up. . . were they actually doing Hole in the Wall swim through or just "deep diving".

My sincerest respect and condolences for all her friends/family.

Rick

If you are familiar with that area, you would have noticed that, the posts made by her buddy made it very clear that they were not diving the hole-in-the-wall, but we a considerable distance inshore, up on top of the reef in 100 feet. They were also south of the "hole", if that should matter to anyone.

I doubt any of the divers involved would consider that "deep diving" or would think that the dive was any more challenging than hundreds of other similar dives they had done in the past.

I re-read Scubagalpal's post and see they were only 85-90 feet. True, that is not "deep diving" for experienced divers. I have heard a lot of various stuff in the last week, from Hole in the Wall, to 110 to 120 foot diving to ???. Just trying to clear that one up. Thanks. Makes the O2 hit theory even less likely, so now it's back to ???? . The fact that she disappeared so quickly makes it sound like she was dealing with some sort of desperate/serious issues. Nothing adds up, so far.

Just curious, again, but did she mention doing any heavy exercise the morning of the dive? If so, that could have been a factor, plus, it's been really hot and dehydration could have had an effect on her physiology.

Rick

Has there been any new information? I believe a typical autopsy report can take 2-3 months.

I'm curious if they found anything. Regulator and BC functional? How much PSI in the tank? What was the dive computer profile? Any sign of embolism or lung expansion injury?

It's really sad when an experienced diver passes away, especially one carrying a camera.

Back
Top Bottom