Diver categories. What traits do you share?

Diver categories

• Obsessive Collector

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Rules Follower

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Rule Breaker

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Carefree but Confident

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • The Minimalist

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • The Technical Diver

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • The good Teaching Professional

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I'm new and don't know yet.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • None of the above - See my post

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This thread is not about any one particular class, agency or instructor as there are good and not so good ones in every category. This thread is about what drives a diver's desire to take what, if any additional classes.

1. The Obsessive Collector:
This person is driven to excel, not necessarily in diving but in card collecting. They will take every class offered, achieve all the goals offered, not to be a better diver but to have the ability to say they have all the cards.

2. The Rules Follower:
This person will not break the rules. They don't dive outside of their certification level - period. They have a sense that unless they have been certified any number of things can and will go wrong so they stay comfortably between the lines. They almost never volunteer to lead a dive.

3. The Rule Breaker:
They don't care about the rules. They are overconfident and have a sense that they can do anything that the next guy can. They have not experienced a true emergency and sure that they would have survived one anyway. They sometimes attempt to bluff or embellish their dive experience to gain access to sites they are not certified to dive.

4. The Carefree but Confident:
They will take classes when they feel it will help them learn more. But will not take the elective classes. The don't feel the need to have a pocket full of cards but would not hesitate to dive at night, off a boat, navigate a new site or take pictures even though they don't have a certification in that specialty. They dive frequently and are generally very good divers but know their limitations and respect them.

5. The Minimalist:
Generally a vacation diver. Just give me what I need to dive on my next vacation. They may have been pressured by friends or family to get certified and like the sport but don't have a passion for it.

6. The technical diver:
These divers are in a separate class and some have no problem tell others so. They are confident in their skills and gear but do know their limitations. They take the necessary classes from well researched instructors who have established reputations. Passionate about the need for training and recognize the need for the same. Most are extremely good divers, some just think they are. A few have a my way or highway attitude. Most of them just live for the challenge of diving places others would not even consider. Passionate about diving and have all the cool gear.

7. The good teaching professional.
A diver that has some of the good traits from each of the above categories. They are confident but not prone to great risk. They are passionate about diving and have an overwhelming desire to share it. They love to see the thrill in the face of new students when they are comfortable breathing underwater.

What kind of diver are you?

I'm a 4: I took my ow cert dives from a boat, makes that specialty seem useless. If you know how to use a camera on land it doesn't seem like a huge leap to use it in water (surprise, it wasn't). Some of them like PPB sound like they might be useful, but depends on instructor. This is all from a padi view. If I were to jump into night diving (and when I get the chance I will), I'd either find an experienced buddy to teach and guide me along or take a class since I feel that might be something more advanced than fish identification, heh.

4. The Carefree but Confident:
They will take classes when they feel it will help them learn more. But will not take the elective classes. The don't feel the need to have a pocket full of cards but would not hesitate to dive at night, off a boat, navigate a new site or take pictures even though they don't have a certification in that specialty. They dive frequently and are generally very good divers but know their limitations and respect them.
4's essentially where I'm at now, eventually looking to be at 6 & 7
6. The technical diver:
These divers are in a separate class and some have no problem tell others so. They are confident in their skills and gear but do know their limitations. They take the necessary classes from well researched instructors who have established reputations. Passionate about the need for training and recognize the need for the same. Most are extremely good divers, some just think they are. A few have a my way or highway attitude. Most of them just live for the challenge of diving places others would not even consider. Passionate about diving and have all the cool gear.

7. The good teaching professional.
A diver that has some of the good traits from each of the above categories. They are confident but not prone to great risk. They are passionate about diving and have an overwhelming desire to share it. They love to see the thrill in the face of new students when they are comfortable breathing underwater.

Even if one were of this type...who would admit to being a 1 or a 3...or a 6 for that matter? Those groups aren't illustrated in a positive light. Most would like others to see them as a 4 or a 7 I would guess. Perhaps reword some of the descriptions?

I'd say I'm a 4 and an 8; and I'm venturing the guess that my wife is about the same.

If possible we may also be a bit of a 2/3 combo. :wink:

As the choices are not "mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive" as they say in the marketing research/survey business I'm not sure what the results will show. Also interesting that you've chosen to plug a bit of a zinger into each description, should help people from excluding themselves from a category that they otherwise might think they belong in.

Personally I'd put myself in the "carefree but confident technical diver" category with "good teaching professional" tendencies...

:D

Yeah, I like that he put a bit of a "sucks to be you" in each of the categories (except the instructor one).

As the choices are not "mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive" as they say in the marketing research/survey business I'm not sure what the results will show. Also interesting that you've chosen to plug a bit of a zinger into each description, should help people from excluding themselves from a category that they otherwise might think they belong in.

Nobody is perfect.:D

The poll is multichoice and I'm sure most of us will fall into more than one group, zinger and all.:crafty:

Back
Top Bottom