Dive Xtras CudaX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a complete newb reading this thread, despite the minor drawbacks of the BlackTip, we are comparing a ~$2k DPV and a $7-8k+ DPV. As I understand it, the batteries are extra with both. These prices aren't in the same ballpark.

I guess I don't understand why someone would pay more unless the specific BlackTip model just doesn't give them the range or depth? School me please. Thanks :)

I think if you’ve read this whole thread you got the basic idea.

It’s a cool scooter but it’s not worth what it costs. There are better scooters in its price range.

My opinion is that a blacktip is a respectable scooter for what it costs and if you outgrow it , it can be used as a backup.

If I was looking for my first dpv I’d either get a blacktip or try and find an older used model to rebuild / modernize.

has anyone got their hands on one of these yet? Looking for real world reviews
I own a CudaX. I just got it a few days ago and only did a single 2 hours dive on it (CCR and two stages) so far so I can't comment a lot for now. I'm a CCR diver so I'm used to what silence is underwater and the DPV is really quiet, much more than I was expecting.

After the two hours (mainly on cruise speed), I was not able to see any battery depletion on the left screen (4 X 12 Ah). Depletion is probably not linear so I'll need to push it longer as soon as the water temperature will allow more than 2 hours in order to evaluate how long it can reasonably last and what mileage can be done (I've a place where I would be able to calculate it properly and safely). Of course, I did test all the speed gears and I was truly shocked by the Ludicrous Speed. When shifting up, you get used to the linear feeling between the gears but when it comes from the 7th to the 8th gear, it's like passing from the 7th to the 15th gear. The first time I tried it, I sustained it for 2 seconds because I wasn't prepared for that much thrust, and I was convinced that my two arms were to detach from my body (not talking about my crotch strap here...). It's really just in case you need to escape some sort of high current and not intended to be used often (like pushing you car's engine a lot is not something you would do often unless really needed).

Not tested it in current yet but will do it soon as we regularly dive in high current.

Inserting/removing the batteries is super easy to do. Unit was a little bit nose heavy, so I'll need to work on the trim, but it was not that bad from factory.

The built quality is just amazing to me. It's all CNC machining except for a couple parts such as the propellers and the tail. The T-handle is a must for me as I need my right hand to add O2 in the loop and it allow me to do it easily. Trigger feel nice and soft.

More details to come. Any questions, just ask.

Regards.

Frederic

Attachments

• IMG-5152.JPG
    IMG-5152.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 79
I own a CudaX. I just got it a few days ago and only did a single 2 hours dive on it (CCR and two stages) so far so I can't comment a lot for now. I'm a CCR diver so I'm used to what silence is underwater and the DPV is really quiet, much more than I was expecting.

Really getting the best understanding of your report might be even better if you explained a little about what other scooters you have used.

I wonder how long until DiveX stops supporting this scooter ?

I wouldn’t buy DiveX anything unless you’re a machinist or at least know one. \\rant
How long can you buy parts for other scooters?
What broke? Most parts can be found aftermarket now days.
Handles for the older scooters are def hard to come by though.

Pre PTB piranha owners are hosed.

Good luck getting a handle for a piranha.

Good luck getting a driveshaft for a piranha.

They cut off my LDS for parts. The story appears to be because another local shop didn’t want my LDS to be a vendor but that is speculation.

I am lucky, I can make my own stuff but still not happy with the way they treat customers. I’ll never buy anything from them again and I encourage others to avoid them too.

\\rant for real this time

Is the "cruise speed" of the Cuda X the same as the Blacktip? 150 feet / minute? This happens at "speed 3" for the Blacktip. Is it still called "speed 3" on the Cuda X?

What are the RPMs of the respective motors when they are both doing 150 ft / minute? Is the Cuda X cruise RPM lower to achieve the same thrust and speed? Does the Cuda X perform more efficiently (battery-wise) at "higher speeds" because of this?

I suppose these numbers are in the firmware [notes] somewhere.

With a full-sized backmount CCR, two stage tanks, in a drysuit, the "speed 3" cruise of the Blacktip gets me ~80 to 100 feet / minute, rather than 150 feet / min. Perhaps the Cuda X pulls around a large or tech-ed out diver a bit more efficiently with the bigger motor and prop.(?)

Is the "cruise speed" of the Cuda X the same as the Blacktip? 150 feet / minute? This happens at "speed 3" for the Blacktip. Is it still called "speed 3" on the Cuda X?

What are the RPMs of the respective motors when they are both doing 150 ft / minute? Is the Cuda X cruise RPM lower to achieve the same thrust and speed? Does the Cuda X perform more efficiently (battery-wise) at "higher speeds" because of this?

With a full-sized backmount CCR, two stage tanks, in a drysuit, the "speed 3" cruise of the Blacktip gets me ~80 to 100 feet / minute, rather than 150 feet / min. Perhaps the Cuda X pulls around a large or tech-ed out diver a bit more efficiently with the bigger motor and prop.(?)
I did a test run on a known circuit tonight. Lenght of the circuit approx 7286 feet. Backmount CCR, two stages and drysuit. I'm 240lbs on 5'9". Test run was done using the 3rd gear and it took me 60 minutes flat to do the whole circuit (no current there). It gives 120 FPM. Not sure if a diver with only a twinset could reach 150 FPM ?

Cruise speed is highly dependent on gear configuration since there is slip in the water, very much unlike how a fixed rpm of your car wheels will always equal a fixed speed depending on the circumference of the tires. The more drag you have the more rpm is necessary. This is thankfully easy to program in the ESC, and while not as easy as an infinitely variable potentiometer like on some other designs, it's easy enough with some basic technological ability to connect to the vesc and adjust the speed up and down to get to your preferred cruise speed.

Based on @Scubapeks data and assuming that his technique is good, that should equate to somewhere around 150fpm in a single tank with a drysuit, bit faster in a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom