Dive Xtras Blacktip Tech Safety Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone affected by this actually contacted DiveX for support?

Did they offer an exchange or at least an inspection? If so did they pay for shipping?

I feel like I know the answer to the above but would really like to be wrong.

If I designed something as safety sensitive as this and units started failing at 57% of their RATED depth , I think I’d do a little more for my customers than an email and a social media post.

57% ….thats WAY beyond bad engineering or QC when lives are literally at risk.

Shame on you DiveX, SMDH.
Only told that my 50m diving isn't affected and if I'm concerned then not to go past 70m. They haven't yet concluded a reason for the imploding so there isn't anything specific to inspect for.

Only told that my 50m diving isn't affected and if I'm concerned then not to go past 70m. They haven't yet concluded a reason for the imploding so there isn't anything specific to inspect for.

Got it. I knew they would deflect somehow.

I wonder what the next de-rating will be? We should start a wager using The Price is Right Rules , closest without going over.

40 meters Bob.

I will say, if you are using a BlackTip and its failure during a dive is life-threatening for you, then I think you are doing something wrong.
And implosion can seriously injure the user with shrapnel or worse. The shock wave is like a bomb underwater. Its nothing like a dead battery, broken switch or even a shaft seal flood.

And implosion can seriously injure the user with shrapnel or worse. The shock wave is like a bomb underwater. Its nothing like a dead battery, broken switch or even a shaft seal flood.

Thank you. I stand corrected - and DO appreciate it!

Please tell me this is a joke.
Nah a joke would be a scooter with a 120m rating having a rapid unscheduled disassembly or OceanGate event at 70m.

Pure speculation: They will de-rate the scooter to 60m which means it wont affect the majority of their userbase. It just sucks for those of us who actually wanted and were sold a 100m-rated scooter. The original Blacktip before the Travel / Tech tube designation had a 100m rating initially.

The original Blacktip before the Travel / Tech tube designation had a 100m rating initially.
What is the rating now? I still see on websites listed as 100m.

60m rating would suck:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom