Dive Xtras Blacktip Tech Safety Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Got this email today.

Scooter models: BlackTip Tech, Purchased from Jan 2023 through Jan 2024
Document date: February 15th 2024

In the last 6 months it has been reported that two (2) BlackTip Tech Scooters have failed at depths shallower than their rated depth.

At this time the cause is unknown and Dive Xtras has been unable to replicate this with internal hyperbaric testing.

In an abundance of caution, we advise all divers who are planning to dive their BlackTip Tech scooters purchased from Jan 2023 through Jan 2024 to depths greater than 230ft or 70m to not do so or proceed with extreme caution.

If this notice affects your diving, please contact us for support.

For those not on the Dive-X bookface page there has been a lot of speculation going on there. Quite a few stories of nose/tail sections being pressed inwards by pressure at or below 90 meters. At least one pic of an imploded tube was shared as well. No idea if this is one of the affected "2" scoots they're referring to or not. Mine doesn't go below 60m yet, but one day it might...

Screenshot_20240215_151904_Facebook.jpg

I've had mine to 240 - 250 3 or 4 times and just past 300 once.

No issues with the depth.

I've read posts here and on FB that suggest the problem is inconsistency in production and QC. (as opposed to, for example, an actual flaw in the design)

That seems like a reasonable hypothesis. Some (like mine) are good. Others... have some kind of defect in the tube (?). So, I guess you roll the dice and you get lucky... or you don't.

I wonder how many Tech tubes are out there that would implode past 70m, but nobody will ever know because they will never actually be taken that deep.

I've read posts here and on FB that suggest the problem is inconsistency in production and QC. (as opposed to, for example, an actual flaw in the design)
Are you proposing that Dive Xtras has QC problem?! I'm shocked, no really. :D:popcorn:

I've got 3 of the older tech tube variants from 2020. I know at least 2 of mine have been 250-300' multiple times but it still gives me some pause to continue doing that..

The weak spot is the cutouts for the battery mounts. They squish and eventually deform/shatter there.

I've been told there's a 10-20ft window between noticing them change shape and imploding.

Has anyone affected by this actually contacted DiveX for support?

Did they offer an exchange or at least an inspection? If so did they pay for shipping?

I feel like I know the answer to the above but would really like to be wrong.

If I designed something as safety sensitive as this and units started failing at 57% of their RATED depth , I think I’d do a little more for my customers than an email and a social media post.

57% ….thats WAY beyond bad engineering or QC when lives are literally at risk.

Shame on you DiveX, SMDH.

The weak spot is the cutouts for the battery mounts. They squish and eventually deform/shatter there.

I've been told there's a 10-20ft window between noticing them change shape and imploding.
Oceangate and DiveX were neighbors in Mukilteo/Everett area for awhile. Apparently they both did the "if it creaks it leaks" level of failure analysis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom