Dive tables- based on what body type?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadog76

Reaction score
What body types are most dive tables based off. For instance, I'm am average build 5'11" 170 pnds. And I dive with a buddy who is not in the greatest shape 6'4" 285pnds. With nitrogen elimination in fat being slower, what is the limit of body/fat ratio before dive tables are not accurate or safe? P.S. A guy at work went on the aitkins diet which doesn't allow bread or grains. He came up with a recipe to make bread out of pork rhines (which are allowed). Where theres a will, theres a way i suppose. Later, S.dog76

Primarily the mesomorphic body type.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dear scubadog76:

Body Type

Tables have historically been derived from test programs conducted on fit young men. In our PADI studies for the Recreational Dive Planner , we sought a wide range of body types. They were men and women, thin and fat, and of age 21 through 63 years. =-)

Because these were recreational tables, the margin of safety was quite large and the number of Doppler-detectable gas bubbles was very small. We did not see any difference in bubble formation that corresponded to sex, age or body habitus (= body build) .

This might not be try if the decompression gas load (dose) was increased to the point where the DCS incidence was high. The decompression stress is simply too low to see anything when it comes to recreational tables.

Exercise Stress :bash:

Dive subjects were not subjected to post-dive exercise stress other than what normally would occur on a boat. That is, the subjects walked around. No one was allowed to run and no one was required to carry things to simulate heavy exercise. It is important, I believe, to keep these limitations in mind when diving.

Dr Deco :doctor:

he's about 60 lbs overweight. (Help me out here; I'm not that familiar with men's height/weight recommendations.)

If he is, that's going to make it pretty hard to be in good overall physical condition, no matter how often or hard he exercises.

DM

Bob3 once bubbled...
285 lbs at 6'4" shouldn't be much of a concern if he's otherwise physically fit.

Sorry to point this out but weight cannot always be traced directly to cardiovascular fitness (although there is high corellation between the two in the vast majority of cases). For example - my sister is 5'7" and weighs in at 230 pounds yet is cardiovasculaly better fit than I.

She gets all the hoots and hollars and even some death threats from very mean people - however she can swim like no-one - she is an aquatics director for the local YMCA and is in the water every day swimming the lanes for miles upon miles each week much faster than most of the "fit".

She was taught scuba by one of the finest women divers ever - Cecilia Connelly of the Woman Divers Hall of Fame and has many dives to prove her prowess in the water.

Yes - she is concerned about DCS, after-all by most standards she is in a very high risk category but this has not stopped her one bit from enjoying the sport and actually makes us step back on the tables a bit "just in case".

I've always thought it would be nice to have your very own custom dive tables, the day you sign up for your open water course you fill out a questionaire..

how old are you, how fit are you, do you smoke, drink... etc etc...

It's kind of along the lines of my master plan for vehicle speed limits.. You see why should the speed limit be one set speed, the way I look at it a 1975 Datsun Sunny falling apart should get the standard 60 kilometres an hour limit, but if your cruising in a brand new Ford Falcon with 17 inch wheels, performance tyres, ABS brakes and traction control and can stop in 1/2 the distance of the Sunny, it should be rewarded with a 75km/h limit :eek:ut:

Army people was the profile for the very first table!
Remember that tables come from statistics, so nobody can tell you if one table is the right one for you, even if you are in good shape...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom