Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have trust issues sharing with a group or a random person though.
I don't understand this statement. Trust in a borrowed computer? Trusting the computer they are using? What do you mean?

I don't understand this statement. Trust in a borrowed computer? Trusting the computer they are using? What do you mean?
I meant I have trust issues if I was in a group sharing a computer with a random person or group whose dive ability I wasn’t familiar with. I’m too new to take chances on someone else’s experience which out knowing how much or how they dive. I haven’t been socialized diving yet is all. That’s my next step though.

I meant I have trust issues if I was in a group sharing a computer with a random person or group whose dive ability I wasn’t familiar with. I’m too new to take chances on someone else’s experience which out knowing how much or how they dive. I haven’t been socialized diving yet is all. That’s my next step though.
To be clear, you are talking about loaning a computer to someone you do not know? "Sharing" could mean you are diving and together using one computer.

To be clear, you are talking about loaning a computer to someone you do not know? "Sharing" could mean you are diving and together using one computer.
I mean I’m doing old school while diving with my diver partner who uses his computer. He uses his and we both reference his after the dive cause I’m never out of his sight anyway.
I wouldn’t have that kinda comfort with anyone but my dive partner or someone I know is well trained and looking out for me.
When I have a better idea of what I will need as a ‘gown up’ in diving I’ll look at computers.

I mean I’m doing old school while diving with my diver partner who uses his computer. He uses his and we both reference his after the dive cause I’m never out of his sight anyway.
I wouldn’t have that kinda comfort with anyone but my dive partner or someone I know is well trained and looking out for me.
When I have a better idea of what I will need as a ‘gown up’ in diving I’ll look at computers.
It is NOT a good idea for two divers to use one computer, whether you know and/or trust that person or not. The computer is tracking the depth/time of the person wearing it, not anybody else. Unless you are tethered to that person with a 6-inch line, you will not have the same dive profile. Even then, people wear two identical computers and find they do not give the same info, because one is on a wrist and the other is in a pocket, or a different wrist.
Get your own computer, or dive tables. Be responsible for yourself.
Sure, there are dive profiles where you are not likely to run into problems "sharing" another person's computer. But there are profiles where you WILL run into problems. Do you know how to distinguish those kinds of profiles, I mean, what kinds of dives are likely to cause you a problem?. If so, I'm surprised.

I’m currently a new diver and dont even know what I need in a computer yet. I’m kicking old school with SPG, compass and tables for now. ...
I did my open water course in 1986, certified in 1987, using analog gauges, a watch, and submersible dive tables. I still dive this way for my local MO and AR recreational diving.

Simple.

I use much of the same gear now that I did then--except, at some point I replaced the Casio G-Shock watch I began with, with a "real" diver's watch. And last year I switched out one of my Scubapro depth gauges because it grew a bubble. (Switched in another old Scubapro.) And I have a couple of alternate gear configurations that seem better suited for the solo diving that I now do, almost exclusively.

I have no plans to change anything for my recreational diving--except to get a CO detector, and to get a PLB for my next ocean dive. (The recent story about the four rescued divers lost at sea, is downright scary!)

rx7diver

It is NOT a good idea for two divers to use one computer, whether you know and/or trust that person or not. The computer is tracking the depth/time of the person wearing it, not anybody else. Unless you are tethered to that person with a 6-inch line, you will not have the same dive profile. Even then, people wear two identical computers and find they do not give the same info, because one is on a wrist and the other is in a pocket, or a different wrist.
Get your own computer, or dive tables. Be responsible for yourself.
Sure, there are dive profiles where you are not likely to run into problems "sharing" another person's computer. But there are profiles where you WILL run into problems. Do you know how to distinguish those kinds of profiles, I mean, what kinds of dives are likely to cause you a problem?. If so, I'm surprised.
I realize all this and did mention I have tables, spg and a compass. I mention in my profile I’m a brand new just did open water diver. My current dive profile outside of that is a handful of dives in my backyard waters (local calm beach) and the lake in his back yard. I’m still learning and we don’t go deep. mor have I strayed from local shore in my back yard type of dives. Nor does my partner let me out of sight or more then 2-3 metered away.

Our ages, weight and experience levels would have our profiles so far off it’s not like I’m using his for air info. Just water temperature and such and to learn. Once I’m more comfortable with my gear and needs computers my next step. I know I need that before diving with others or dive groups. I’m just not ready for that yet. Plus my local dive shops don’t rent them
I did my open water course in 1986, certified in 1987, using analog gauges, a watch, and submersible dive tables. I still dive this way for my local MO and AR recreational diving.

Simple.

I use much of the same gear now that I did then--except, at some point I replaced the Casio G-Shock watch I began with, with a "real" diver's watch. And last year I switched out one of my Scubapro depth gauges because it grew a bubble. (Switched in another old Scubapro.) And I have a couple of alternate gear configurations that seem better suited for the solo diving that I now do, almost exclusively.

I have no plans to change anything for my recreational diving--except to get a CO detector, and to get a PLB for my next ocean dive. (The recent story about the four rescued divers lost at sea, is downright scary!)

rx7diver
No joke scary it is. My personality type I don’t see myself not keeping my tables and analog gear anyway as a back up on dives. Im also a learn the math type but I’m geeky so that makes things make sense to me.

I’ve taken a lot of applied physics but it’s not theoretical now so the fear of being my own little closed system under pressure is not lost on me. Seeing how people respond in emergency situations in my profession give me no faith in diving with random people in groups either. 🤷‍♀️

I’m really lucky to have a partner that dives professionally and instructs. Like me he’s also a research scientist and on the spectrum so he gets my brain and it’s need to keep practicing exercises and emergency procedures on our little dives. He makes activities and challenges in controlled situations. My instructors said I picked it up super fast which was a shocker as the under dog in class being late forties and onus sized.
My deep fear is panicking when something happens so I’m really taking my time. My partner does a great job making little dive lessons plans and games to keep the dives varied. But it will be time for me to venture out to longer, deeper dives at some point soon. I’m just not there yet and I’ll defiantly be using a dive computer then.

... My personality type I don’t see myself not keeping my tables and analog gear anyway as a back up on dives. Im also a learn the math type but I’m geeky so that makes things make sense to me. ...
I want new divers to know that pursuing this hobby doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. A lot of diving fun can be had without needing to break the bank! There is no downside, I think, to sticking with basic, simple, robust, proven gear, and diving conservative profiles.

Now, if you dive with a dive op that requires you to have a PDC (or some other mandated piece of gear) in order to dive with them, well, that's a different issue.

rx7diver

I want new divers to know that pursuing this hobby doesn't need to be prohibitively expensive. A lot of diving fun can be had without needing to break the bank! There is no downside, I think, to sticking with basic, simple, robust, proven gear, and diving conservative profiles.

Now, if you dive with a dive op that requires you to have a PDC (or some other mandated piece of gear) in order to dive with them, well, that's a different issue.

rx7diver
Absolutely.
If all my stuff burned up tomorrow, I could re-outfit myself with top notch gear for $1000-$2000.
I depends on what I could find used, what kind of shape, and luck.
But it only took 25 years to know how to do that.
That would include a cheap computer too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom