Dive shops and training: the disconnect with reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You seem interested in them too, given you have asked me to show you how I calculate my bailout requirements.

I'm not really all that interested in how you calculate your bailout requirements.

I WAS interested in seeing you justify your criticism of my bailout plan, however given that you have failed to do so, using the premise that "you asked me to supply them first", I accept the fact like so many I run across, you say something but you are unable to justify it, and when asked to do so since you "do it all the time", you come up with some lame excuse such as "you won't show your calculations because you asked me first"

I already stated that I calculated these numbers years ago, they work for me, I do not recall how to calculate them now, nor do I know my SAC rate at this time....I am not suggesting anyone else use my numbers for their bailout plan however that much said, I have seen numerous posts on this very board by divers who use 19cf bottles as their bailouts for recreational diving depths so I know that I am not the only one that chooses to do so.

I WAS interested in seeing you justify your criticism of my bailout plan, however given that you have failed to do so, using the premise that "you asked me to supply them first", I accept the fact like so many I run across, you say something but you are unable to justify it, and when asked to do so since you "do it all the time", you come up with some lame excuse such as "you won't show your calculations because you asked me first"

I calculated 29cf of gas required to bail out from 40m, including two minutes at depth to work out any issues (for one minute I need 24cf~ overall), normal ascent rate of 10m/min, SAC of 1cf/min (accounting for stress) and a 3min safety stop at 5m. From those figures, if you know how to work out bailout, you can work it out yourself how I have calculated it.

I already stated that I calculated these numbers years ago, they work for me

How many times have you bailed out from 40m in an emergency?

I do not recall how to calculate them now

Why not? It's just a few easy formulas.

nor do I know my SAC rate at this time....

I'm sure you can work it out in a minute or two if you wanted.

I am not suggesting anyone else use my numbers for their bailout plan

What numbers? You have posted no calculations at all.

however that much said, I have seen numerous posts on this very board by divers who use 19cf bottles as their bailouts for recreational diving depths so I know that I am not the only one that chooses to do so.

Well other people do it so it must be ok then. /sarcasm You were criticising others for having doubles on dives, saying it was to compensate for poor skill, and then when I asked about redundant air you said you had a 19cf pony for 40m dives. I don't think that is enough personally so I think it is fair to question you and how you worked out your gas plan given you criticised doubles divers :wink:

Well other people do it so it must be ok then. /sarcasm You were criticising others for having doubles on dives, saying it was to compensate for poor skill, and then when I asked about redundant air you said you had a 19cf pony for 40m dives. I don't think that is enough personally so I think it is fair to question you and how you worked out your gas plan given you criticised doubles divers :wink:

Ok you can have the front seat.

But I get it on the way back!

Ok you can have the front seat.

But I get it on the way back!

Joking like this seems to be what you resort to when you don't know what you're talking about. Just so you know, it's quite obvious. And therefore fails as a distraction from your lack of knowledge about what you are talking about.

Joking like this seems to be what you resort to when you don't know what you're talking about. Just so you know, it's quite obvious. And therefore fails as a distraction from your lack of knowledge about what you are talking about.

You're right Sas, I'm joking because I have nothing further to offer because I don't know my SAC rate and I haven't done calculations regarding my bailout plan in years.

I have no interest whatsoever in doing the math, I did it once, I know it worked then and I anticipate that it will work now, and I have nothing further to contribute to this particular argument which has become circular and nonproductive.

You're obviously a much safer diver than me, you do the calculations regularly and that's very commendable, I'm reckless and irresponsible and any diver that should happen to read my posts and takes my advice will be lucky to make it back to the dive boat while still breathing.

I've waved the white flag, admitted defeat, and if you keep this up I'm not going to let you have the front seat anymore.

I NEVER thought of that!

...and to think you consider yourself the 'master of retractor' ! :) ...you hadn't thought of it 'cause you haven't finished completely progressin' through this "phase", that's all...

I did the math and calculations years ago, when I decided to carry a 19cf pony bottle and pursue a solo diving certification. I don't even recall what they were.

I would think that since you took the SDI solo course that you would still have the book. Chapter 2 under Gas Management there is Gas Management 101, Calculating SAC, Gauging required Gas Volume and Planning Appropriate Reserve Volume.

Just open your book?

That is IF you took the class.

I would think that since you took the SDI solo course that you would still have the book. Chapter 2 under Gas Management there is Gas Management 101, Calculating SAC, Gauging required Gas Volume and Planning Appropriate Reserve Volume.

Just open your book?

That is IF you took the class.

What class?

...and to think you consider yourself the 'master of retractor' ! :) ...you hadn't thought of it 'cause you haven't finished completely progressin' through this "phase", that's all...

The "Retractor Master".

I sort of like it.

:cool3:

Back
Top Bottom