Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why be visious? Be nice. Tell them right up front, I'm looking online and this is the bottom line. I'd prefer to buy from you so what can you do to help me out. Sometimes you might be surprised what a straightforward approach will do.

Now, just to have some fun. Call LP and tell them, "My lds just matched your price. How much can you offer me to get my business? " Let me know.

Lead,

I'm only vicious with CAR salesmen, not the guys at the LDS. Actually I'm not really rude or anything to car salesmen but it's always been a rule of mine that I'm not getting a good deal unless they let me walk out of the dealership after making them an offer their manager won't accept. And I still doubt that their kids have ever went to bed hungry because I got such a great price on a car.

Just to have some fun I called LP on a new Freedom 2 front zip drysuit. They took another $300 plus off their listed price. $629 for a new front zip suit with suspenders, pocket, hood and a bag (that turned out to be pretty nice).

No, it's not a DUI but I wanted an entry level suit.

I will chime in here with just one comment. It has been my experience that one LDS may not be able to do your regulator's annual inspection, you need to have the shop you bought it from service it. Other shops don't want to void the warranty by working on it because they may not be authorized. I am only a newbie, and this is what I have been told and found out. Don't slam me if you are the exception, I would love to be that 'exception' where I live. I bought a few things online and saved some bucks. But I did by a b/c and specifically said for "cold water diving" and they sent me a warm water b/c. Uffda. Anyhow, that's my two bits and I find all the posts to this topic have brought up good points.

You can send your regulators to some of the online stores for servicing if you are having trouble getting your regulators serviced. I believe Leisurepro offer this service but if I am wrong someone will correct me :) Though I personally do not bother to keep the warranty on my regulators (for various reasons) and take them to people who are good service technicians, not necessarily manufacturer authorised technicians. I would rather lose my warranty than take it to a technician I do not trust.

What made the BC a warm water BC?

I could go to California diving for the weekend or I could go to my wife's birthday party

Opt for the diving, it will never sue you for alimony and will likely result in much happier memories...

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go to California diving for the weekend or I could go to my wife's birthday party

Opt for the diving, it will never sue you for alimony and will likely result in much happier memories...

Only problem is that if I opt for the diving, I will be sued for alimony and child support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to buy online. I find I can get more stuff without issue than if I went to a LDS and wanted something which they rarely have any prices marked for.

There are so many issues with the LDS here that its way better to go there and try stuff on then come home and order it.

I just got an equalizer hose which is the next step in our progression towards our own compressor some time soon.

Air fills? I will do them myself. I hate being short filled (One LDS only gives you 2800psi) or having to take my tanks in 3 days before I need the air.

I can always do without the attitudes from many of the LDS around here. We have found one guy that is doing alright (meaning his outlook and attitude) and had a decent price on SMBs so I got a couple there he also does not short fill.

This is really a classis Coke vs Pepsi debate so it will never really end. I plan on owning a dive shop at some point but you can bet we will be online as well. It would be foolish in this date and time to open any business without web presence.

LP and ST are our usual shops we purchase from and come scuba season (we are warm water divers only), we find boxes upon boxes being delivered to us weekly.. Garage is getting a bit packed now!

Only problem is that if I opt for the diving, I will be sued for alimony and child support.

My wife often points out that DIVORCE comes right after DIVING in the yellow pages...

How much to you really save online?

I just quoted out the gear I'm ordering this evening at the LDS:

Leisure Pro, $1,288.05

Local Shop, $1,336.28 (this also includes a $40 ScubaPro HP Quick Disconnect that Leisure Pro doesn't carry)

9 Items (* indicates Leisure Pro had exact brand/model, otherwise I found comparable)

BCD, SeaQuest Pearl I3 size small *
Regulator, AquaLung Mikron Pearl/Vanilla Color (DIN Connector) *
Octo, AquaLung ABS *
Magna Clip Holder *
ScubaPro Quick Disconnect 01.334.005 (LP doesn't have)

Wetsuit, Deep Sea Quantum Strech 7mm Womens, size Med
Boots, Deep Sea, size 8 *
5mm Aleutian Glove, size x-small
Zipper Hood

Remove the $40 HP Disconnect and the LDS costs a whopping $10 more (yes that includes local sales tax)

Of course there are other items I'm in that market for that I might go online for because it would cost more. The dive computer I want is about $300 more with the SK7 Compass mounted at the LDS vs the LP.

Curious. Did you do your pricing from LP online or by phone? I wanted to buy Hollis Fins last week. Online is $142. When I called: $99.00.

I prefer to buy online. I find I can get more stuff without issue than if I went to a LDS and wanted something which they rarely have any prices marked for.

There are so many issues with the LDS here that its way better to go there and try stuff on then come home and order it.I just got an equalizer hose which is the next step in our progression towards our own compressor some time soon.

Air fills? I will do them myself. I hate being short filled (One LDS only gives you 2800psi) or having to take my tanks in 3 days before I need the air.

I can always do without the attitudes from many of the LDS around here. We have found one guy that is doing alright (meaning his outlook and attitude) and had a decent price on SMBs so I got a couple there he also does not short fill.

This is really a classis Coke vs Pepsi debate so it will never really end. I plan on owning a dive shop at some point but you can bet we will be online as well. It would be foolish in this date and time to open any business without web presence.

LP and ST are our usual shops we purchase from and come scuba season (we are warm water divers only), we find boxes upon boxes being delivered to us weekly.. Garage is getting a bit packed now!

Any wonder the guy has an attitude?

An the short fills are the nature of the beast. If they have to pump them quick while you wait, you are gonna lose a couple hundred pounds when they cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom