Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurningChrome

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
when purchasing equipment are you better served in the long run if you buy your equipment at your local dive shop--especially if that's the place you intend to do additional training?

it appears that the prices might be better with the online stores, but you lose out on the personal attention and if something breaks the local shop is around the corner but the online store is...???

or is all of that moot because you've just gotta find the best deal no matter where you find it?

...just askin'...

or is all of that moot because you've just gotta find the best deal no matter where you find it?

...just askin'...

Good question. In fact it's SO good the topic comes up at least a dozen times a day here. In fact, here's a post put up right before yours that touches on the issue...

Need advice on fin fitting...

In the end, buy where you think you get the most value. But understand that purchase price is onlypart of the value equation.

Ha!! If it wasn't for new guys asking the same old questions eventually we'd have a lot less to talk about on a daily basis. Some will say it's beneficial to support your local LDS in order to keep businesses like that open. However, I'm probably buying my drysuit online but it's an actual LDS, just no local. So I'm still supporting an DS, just not the "L". ;-)

I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on a complete setup tomorrow.

I priced it out at LeisurePro and got a quote from my LDS.

The difference was only $200 in the end and I think the added personal service I already get from the LDS iis worth 10 times that amount.

you know, it's funny, i actually clicked on the "has this been asked before" button and it came back with no results... :wink:

just for arguements sake, you could go to the local shop, try everything on and out and then buy it online for less...

btw, thanks for giving an opinion and not just a sacrcastic answer... :wink:

you know, it's funny, i actually clicked on the "has this been asked before" button and it came back with no results... :wink:

just for arguements sake, you could go to the local shop, try everything on and out and then buy it online for less...

btw, thanks for giving an opinion and not just a sacrcastic answer... :wink:

Yeah, you could do that but then Karma is watching :wink:

Seriously, who deserves to get that service for free?

I everyone did this then eventually there'd be only 3 LDS in each state, how far do you want to drive just for an air fill?

I buy my equipment from my LDS as I love the person to person interatction Dive shops are very important in the dive industry but having said that I have been guilty of buying on line somtimes

I should clarify....I will probably buy my drysuit online but it's a difference of about $300+ dollars. I still get plenty of equip and such from the shop, just not when the difference is so huge. If I'm going to spend $2000, why would I want to pay 10% tax just to get it locally? I will on smaller items where it's only $10, 20, even $50 in tax....just not hundreds. Additionally, I doubt the dive shop will give me a free day on the boat when I'm hurting for money. Therefore, I'll ensure I save money for that by being smart, frugal and wise.

Buy where ever the hell you want mate and don't let guilt hold sway. Also try and ignore the false dilemma of "where will you get your airfill" that old fallacy is a perennial favourite..

I personally see my being in an LDS as a neutral situation, I'm looking at stuff and they've got a shot at selling to me, if they sharpen their pencil to within what I think is a fair markup then they get the sale if not I'll shop elsewhere. Why do so many see sales attempts as service deserving of financial reward?

Last edited:
i have no problem with the same question being asked (not every day but it happens) because knowledge base changes, equipment changes, business practises change, SB membership change so im happy to see the same question from our newer members who are trying to become more educated about their diving (btw, splits are bad and paddles are good :) )

funny thing is my LDS is all the way on the other side of the country for me - but then again, ive been diving much longer, i know equipment and i know what i want so i have no issues ordering online with mr aussie zeagle (plug for the aussies, www.divetub.com.au)

but if the dive shop that my hubby teaches with stocked the same product i would buy from them, as long as i wouldnt be paying hundreds of dollars more. I dont mind paying a little bit more for the one on one customer service attention but when its hundreds of dollars more i question the dive op to see what better deal they can do for me. note, they MAY not be able to drop the price of the item you want but they might be able to throw something else into the package

cheers and goodluck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom