Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW! and i thought there was good info in this thread before!

i have been to my LDS & talked to them about getting my gear there & about online pricing. they are willing to work with me, but i know they will not be able to beat online prices. in the end, however, that is ok since i will be taking my new courses with them & any equipment issues i have will be handled quickly.

btw, by my calculation, i should be able to get what i need--bc, reg, octo, wetsuit--for about $1300 from my LDS...

OK my imput as a salesman. This is a common method used by some places, not by me, but by some places. By not posting prices on an item you force your customer to make contact with you. This is important in sales. Once you have started talking with the customer you can talk about features of the product, what makes it better than the other. You talk up the product and when price comes up the salesman can make it sound like it is a really good buy for the price and that you as the customer are getting a steal.

I dont like this method but it has its place in sales. I hope that helps.

OK my imput as a salesman. This is a common method used by some places, not by me, but by some places. By not posting prices on an item you force your customer to make contact with you. This is important in sales. Once you have started talking with the customer you can talk about features of the product, what makes it better than the other. You talk up the product and when price comes up the salesman can make it sound like it is a really good buy for the price and that you as the customer are getting a steal.

I hate that method. There is about a 99% chance of me walking out of a business and never returning if it does not post prices on products.

Gotta "be careful" with online purchases; much more difficult to service if there is an issue right away..

Don't mind paying a little extra for good customer service. I have found dive shops generally respond to repeat business very favorably!

I think that that was probably a good strategy at one time... however now, with the internet and online forums such as this one, its Alot easier to get the "low down skinny" on various products prior to setting foot in the shop and attempts to "talk up" the product may come across as deceptive/hard-sellish and turn your customer off.

For those customers who walk in spontaneously with their eyes and wallets wide open that sales tactic will probably still work jus' fine... some sheep just Ask to be sheared...

The key line here is, get the best price, give them the chance to compete. So many times a local dive shop doesn't even get that. Too many times I've had students that show up for class with equipment that they bought from a different retailer or online. Why? It came in a package deal. Even if it was a snorkle package from Sam's club. Then they get upset with me because they can't dive with it comfortably or it leaks. As for full sets of equipment, maybe I can't match dollar for dollar but so many shops will throw in the extras that will equal or surpass the deal but again, all that was done was looking at the price tags and not willing to talk about it.

At least you will give your LDS a chance to compete. So far I've only run into a couple that won't even try.

There is the problem right there (I highlited in bold in the quote) that most LDS owners, who aren't business people by nature, don't seem to understand. You priced yourself out of the market, and then wonder why nobody is buying.

Secondly, alot of people don't feel comfortable haggling on price. You eather offer you best price on the sticker or your compititon will.

Its also pretty common in service industry with quotes so that the potential buyer has to speak with a service rep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom