Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay....now be completely honest; let's say you're a new or future diver and go into that shop just to get an idea of budget, look around, try on some gear. Then you go back later only to find out their prices are obviously higher than any online retailer or even the shop down the street (since you're not a regular). Would you have become one? For that shop to spitefully charge more money because they know the guy isn't loyal is saying they don't need anymore customers. I don't know of ANY successful business that doesn't need or want more customers. Especially these days!!

Additionally, you said the non-regular pays a different price when he's in dire need. That's called gouging. I don't know anyone that thinks gouging is an acceptable business practice (except the businesses that do). That is why more and more are going online and/or to corporate places that have to answer for their actions.

I understand those that support their LDS and certainly can respect their decision. I do, to a degree....just not religiously. I simply shop around, get the best price, give them the chance to compete with it and then decide.

When I say different price, I mean "MSRP" . Students of the shop get discounts as do regular customers.

In my example of the guy using the shop as a fitting room, he will pay full MSRP when he realizes he forgot his DSMB and reel. In my case I will get a discount. That is not gouging.

I use several different LDS's and even purchase stuff online. I have had no issues with any of them. In these times where every dollar counts, you can bet that everyone is looking to make their hard earned money go farther. If a LDS was to deny me any type of service just because I got it somewhere else I would go elsewhere. All you may really be asking for is their opinion...and we all know how many of them are out there. The final decision rests within yourself.

As an LDS owner let me put in my two cents.

I treat everyone fairly until they give me reason not to. Granted the "regulars" (read as friends) will often get special deals, but I don't gouge the first time visitors, because I hope to turn them into regulars.

Even the individuals who use my shop as a fitting room before buying online don't get gouged. However, when I see a pattern of someone who consistently "shops" at my place, tries on stuff, and picks my brain for details for hours and then always buys elsewhere, I politely invite them to take all of their business elsewhere.

I fully realize that I will not get ALL of anybodies business, there are some brands for which I am not a dealer, but the folks in this threat who have actually advocated using an LDS as a fitting room when they already intend to buy online are treading dangerously close to theft of service. If you know you're not going to buy from me, please don't make me waste my time.

I prefer to buy online. I find I can get more stuff without issue than if I went to a LDS and wanted something which they rarely have any prices marked for.

There are so many issues with the LDS here that its way better to go there and try stuff on then come home and order it.

I just got an equalizer hose which is the next step in our progression towards our own compressor some time soon.

Air fills? I will do them myself. I hate being short filled (One LDS only gives you 2800psi) or having to take my tanks in 3 days before I need the air.

I can always do without the attitudes from many of the LDS around here. We have found one guy that is doing alright (meaning his outlook and attitude) and had a decent price on SMBs so I got a couple there he also does not short fill.

This is really a classis Coke vs Pepsi debate so it will never really end. I plan on owning a dive shop at some point but you can bet we will be online as well. It would be foolish in this date and time to open any business without web presence.

LP and ST are our usual shops we purchase from and come scuba season (we are warm water divers only), we find boxes upon boxes being delivered to us weekly.. Garage is getting a bit packed now!

2 sides to the story, but if you need gear and you are in Danvers, you might be out of luck! :shakehead:

Its a tough one; but if I owned an LDS, I would not want to be the info man or the try on room for someone who is just going to buy on line - I can see your point.

Support your local shop or someday you won't have a choice. :D

Last edited:
treading dangerously close to theft of service

I know what you mean. My friend ran a guitar store, and there were "customers" who wanted to play the guitars... for hours. It was cheap amusement for them.

Theft of Service? Probably not. Unless there is charge for trying on a wetsuit or playing a guitar, and they don't pay it, there is no theft.

I personally think that the support, explanation, demonstration and personal attention you get from a dive shop beats buying online. Having said that I always buy online cause in my country there is no equipment supply!

It also depends on how knowledgeable you are with your dive equipment, and of course the price difference.

All said I would buy from a physical shop if we had one!

Okay, shameless plug time. I'm going to try very hard to be fair even considering my employer here, so please no harsh flames. :)

First off, background. I've been working in this biz for 30 years. I'm not some new guy working at that "internet place". I have my experience, obviously in the LDS (although, we at scuba.com ARE an LDS for this area, as are our authorized online competitors in theirs), for equipment manufacturers on the technical side of things, as an instructor and course director for multiple training agencies and doing pretty much everything here at Scuba.com at one time or another. NONE of this is meant to impress anybody. Heck, it doesn't even impress me. Just laying the groundwork that I'm not some schlub with a keyboard and too much time on my hands.

Okay, to address some of the discussion I saw here. First off, you folks supporting your LDS, you have my thanks! Seriously. While I do everything I can here to help people with any aspect of scuba they have questions or needs with, if it wasn't for that dive shop you passed on the way to work twice a day for the past 4 years or something similar, you'd probably not have had scuba prickling away at the back of your mind. For many they taught your class, or you hung out with a diver friend who needed to swing by the shop and you were curious and went along. Our industry and the survival of this company is as equally as dependant upon the LDS to a certain extent as the LDS is on us. This is the information age, and we along with our other online competitors/peers, put a lot of information at the consumers fingertips. And information we have. (sameless plug time) I can't think of another LDS who can offer its customers 2 Course Directors on staff, every person you work with regarding gear being at the very least an Open Water Instructor, a travel agent, former manufacturers reps of various types, a commercial diver and former technical support director for major manufacturers on its regular staff. If the person you are speaking to doesn't have your answer there is a very strong chance that the guy very near by does.

Next, I already sort of alluded to. We, along with our Authorized Dealer online peers/competitors are an LDS. To be an authorized dealer for many if not most of the equipment manufacturers, you agree to offer a store front, teach classes, offer air fills, do repairs and maintain the manufacturers warranties. So, while we may not be local for many of you in terms of driving up and dropping in, we are still a local dive shop servicing the greater Orange County, LA, San Diego area. And for the rest of you literally around the globe we are no more than a keystroke or a phone call away.

I saw mention of gear repair and servicing. If you live outside the area and need it tomorrow, you need to go see the guy up the street or across town. But, we have a complete service and repair department and 3 fully trained and authorized repair technicians on staff (one of whom used to be the person working at an equipment manufacturer who's job it was to teach seminars and certify technicians - You can't get closer to the top than that!) that are qualified to fix just about every single piece of scuba gear on the planet. That's not to say we have the equipment here to fix the more obscure repair such as leaky bcds or torn suits, but you can most definately send in your equipment for service and repair and have it handled by capable hands. The advantage to this? You don't have to go to the local shop to pick it up when it is done. We'll send it back to your doorstep for you!

Somebody else mentioned air fills. And while the truth of the matter is that far and away the vast majority of them are going to come from your local dive shop, it is in no way the ONLY way to get air. There was a time when I couldn't possibly believe anybody in their right mind would buy their own compressor, let alone have me ship it to them. I seriously thought that was a severe case of more money than brains. And as it turns out, I was the shorsighted one there. We sell compressors on a very regular basis to people putting them in their garage, boat, and for the back of their pick up truck. We sell them to dive clubs and dive teams, and I've personally sold 2 to other dive shops who's owners are friends of mine around the country. So, do you NEED the LDS for air? No. Is it more convenient. I guess that's up to the individual.

Fit you in gear? Again, welcome to the maturing of the information age. With the help of the engineers at the various scuba equipment manufacturers it is easier today for me to fit you in the right piece of gear than ever before without ever setting eyes on you. The silicone skirts on masks have made it where just about every mask fits just about every face well enough to give you a very satisfying dive. That's not always 100%, but even for those with a facial feature like smile lines, crow's feet around the eyes, or larger than average brows or noses, the information exists to make sure we put you into the correct piece of gear. Wetsuits and bcds? Again, so long as the consumer is honest with us in their sizing, the sizing charts the manufacturers give us are very accurate once you get familliar with the intricacies of each line. The blends of neoprene and nylon are now so forgiving that it can be quite easy to fit you correctly on the very first try. And as many who have dealt with me have found, I have a lot less trouble today, over the phone or email fitting you in a suit than I ever did face to face in a store.

Instruction used to be the bane of the online retailer, but slowly the training agencies are being dragged into the 21st Century. Albiet not without a LOT of kicking, screaming and crying about it. For some time you've been able to take the classroom portion of your dive course in the convenience of your home. CDRom and DVD courses have been around for years. My 20 year old daughter took her course using a CDRom 10 years ago! In fact, she so enjoyed it she took at about 3 times just for the heck of it. When was the last time ANY of you sat through all of your instructor's lectures and presentations more than once by choice? Not until she'd finished it did she join dad in the pool and then do her check dives on a vacation. She was literally the average scuba student for that type of course at the time. Your basic referral student. Today, you can finally even do your coursework online directly with a training agency! Yes, you still need your LDS or independent instructor as I saw mentioned previously to finish your confined and open water work, and there will never be a way to get around that, but there is a lot you can still accomplish with the help of your online authorized dealer.

What it all boils down to is your own personal values and opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. Do I think I am better equipped to take care of you than any other dealer in the country? Of course I do. That's what competition and business is all about. But in the end every single one of these companies is owned by a person. Somebody in business to make you their customer and keep you happy and coming back. Each authorized dealer you deal with works hard to be honest and give you the best service they can. My job is to give you every bit of information I can and let you make an informed decision from there.

Happy Diving everybody!!!
Bob

Yep....that was one LONG plug. :) On the other hand, it was an easy read and complimentary to all. Well done. I think just about everyone can give you credit as being one of the top 2-3 online retailers around in terms of response, website, stock, service, etc. I've never heard a bad thing about scuba.com.

Okay....now be completely honest; let's say you're a new or future diver and go into that shop just to get an idea of budget, look around, try on some gear. Then you go back later only to find out their prices are obviously higher than any online retailer or even the shop down the street (since you're not a regular). .
(deleted)
I understand those that support their LDS and certainly can respect their decision. I do, to a degree....just not religiously. I simply shop around, get the best price, give them the chance to compete with it and then decide.

The key line here is, get the best price, give them the chance to compete. So many times a local dive shop doesn't even get that. Too many times I've had students that show up for class with equipment that they bought from a different retailer or online. Why? It came in a package deal. Even if it was a snorkle package from Sam's club. Then they get upset with me because they can't dive with it comfortably or it leaks. As for full sets of equipment, maybe I can't match dollar for dollar but so many shops will throw in the extras that will equal or surpass the deal but again, all that was done was looking at the price tags and not willing to talk about it.

At least you will give your LDS a chance to compete. So far I've only run into a couple that won't even try.

Back
Top Bottom