Dive shop versus online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting ready to drop the hammer on a complete setup tomorrow.

I priced it out at LeisurePro and got a quote from my LDS.

The difference was only $200 in the end and I think the added personal service I already get from the LDS iis worth 10 times that amount.

I did the same thing, and I showed my LDS the prices to let them have a chance to compete. My setup was about $300 more at the LDS, but I went ahead and bought locally. That way I would support my LDS (which was appreciative to give them a chance) and it would possibly make support easier in the future.

I think price is only part of the equation and I am happy to pay extra for service but I still buy some stuff online. Sometimes the price difference is just too great. If I see something way cheaper online I will ask a local store to price match it + 10% or so for service and if they come close I'll buy from them over an online store.

Also spending extra at a LDS does not necessarily equate to better service, at least in my experience. I spent a fortune at the LDS I did my OW with, much more than what I could've gotten the gear for online and the owner tried to screw me over numerous times after that on pricing. You'd think he'd have been happy enough with the thousands I already spent there :wink:

I actually don't have an issue with trying on something in a store and then buying it online. I often try out stuff to make up my mind and if the price is a great deal more than what it is online I'd buy the item online (but after asking the store I tried it on to price match plus a bit for the local service). So far I have never not been able to get a decent deal from a local store but this may not stay the same in the future. I think just because a business has put time into trying to sell me something doesn't mean I am obliged to buy from them if their price is ridiculous.

I gave extra consideration to three local dive merchants. All closed. What's the use?

I think just because a business has put time into trying to sell me something doesn't mean I am obliged to buy from them if their price is ridiculous.

I can agree with this statement but is that the whole picture for most divers? I mean is that the only thing you need the LDS for?

Where do you get Air Fills?
Where do you get your gear serviced?
Where do you get your "Diving Education"?
Who's pool do you use to tweak your gear and verify it's condition after a period of inactivity?
Who do you call when you have a goofy question about something dive related?

Seriously, any Dive Shop that does nothing more than "try to sell you something" doesn't deserve to be in business anyway so find a better LDS.

I can agree with this statement but is that the whole picture for most divers? I mean is that the only thing you need the LDS for?

Where do you get Air Fills? - There are privately owned compressors, some indepedent clubs have their own too. I'm in an independent club and often they run dives on private boats as well, so I don't even need a shop if I want to go boat diving. :) Independent clubs are great like that.

Where do you get your gear serviced? - I could learn it myself or I know a few people who do servicing out of their garages and have done so for many years. I could also send my gear to an online shop that offers servicing.

Where do you get your "Diving Education"? - I currently get my instruction through an independent instructor.

Who's pool do you use to tweak your gear and verify it's condition after a period of inactivity? - Neither of the shops local to me have a pool. I only go to one that has a pool and that is nearly a two hour drive away and I may as well jump in at the beach nearby. Haven't had an inactive period yet, but I do all my tweaking under a pier in the ocean. The local community pool also rents out lanes for $30.

Who do you call when you have a goofy question about something dive related? - Experienced friends who are divers, diving forums.

Seriously, any Dive Shop that does nothing more than "try to sell you something" doesn't deserve to be in business anyway so find a better LDS.

Sure I agree. I have good LDSs I go to but I don't NEED an LDS.

I will usually try to buy from the LDS - but there are times that I also buy online. I have spent extra $$ to support the LDS - as recently as last fall - and while I have been in Tampa - I have also supported three local shops where I knew I was spending more than I had to - again, supporting the local economy can't hurt - but if the prices locally were more than the 'few' dollars more, I would have gone the other route.

There's a good argument for supporting local - there's also what you can afford....try to balance as best you can.

Greetings Burning Chrome this is a common question with a variety of opinions and things to consider. Many have been addressed but another to consider is the time it takes to perform gear service, both preventative and problematic. My LDS will replace, loan, do what ever it takes to get you in the water. IF this is for a trip or a local quarry it does not matter. When dealing with on-line there is a shipping time issue. Now that being said, I know there are on-line dealers represented here on SB who are very service minded and have done the best they can to cut this delay down. In the end it is what you determine is best for your situation.
My rule is pretty simple, Try before you buy! Research before you buy! Ask on SB!
Not always in the same order. I have a unique relationship with my LDS and it is a close personal family type situation. I understand retail and how it can be pretty tough in these current economic conditions. With that being said it really is a buyers market out there. From your location you are in the land of plenty when it come to LDS's.
Shop around and observe carefully, sometimes the best deal is not the cheapest!
Ultimately the school of hard knocks will educate us all at one point or another. No big deal, live and learn.... laugh if you can. Sometimes it takes a while.
Good luck and have fun shopping!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

There is no correct answer to this. It comes down to a personal decision. I know some people who will pay 3 times what they would online just to support their LDS, I know other people that will buy online if they can save themselves a nickel... Personally, for me it depends on the product. I bought my Sealife DC800 online because I got a much better deal and it's just a camera-my life doesn't depend on it. Since I lost it on my last dive, I will buy another online because I still get a much better deal. However, I would never buy something like a regulator online unless it was an online purchase from a shop I was personally familiar with. Why? I'm just not comfortable buying a piece of life support from a stranger. I am much more comfortable being face to face with the person selling it to me, able to touch it, check it out, etc... before dropping the cash. This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with buying regs online, it just means that it doesn't work for me. The bottom line answer to your question is to decide for yourself what works for you. However, in the case of tanks, I'd do careful research before buying those online. I have heard of people buying them online and then needing to have them VIP'd and/or Hydro'd which ate all of their savings, if not cost them more than buying locally. I can't recall the reason for that but I definitely have heard of people having that issue.

I don't understand this continuous debate as if there is some sort of "loyalty" required of your customers. I know of no other industry that store owners feel betrayed if their customers went somewhere else to buy. Sure, they may feel disappointed, and that's good. But that disappointment should be introspective, wondering what they could have done to keep a customer.

If I remember right, there was a time when catalog sales were hailed as potentially harming the LDS.

For the last few years it has been the online sales.

Remember, they are just dive equipment sales just like anyone else. I've seen LDS grow in spite of this competition, and I've seen some go away. If you don't keep your business model effective, you're going to go away. I've seen too many dive shops run like a hobby rather than a real business.

If you can't compete using your current business model, you've gotta change. If you don't think change is necessary, just ask a dinasaur how that worked for them.

Look, in a competitive market, an LDS CAN compete. If you offer competitive prices you can win out over other competition with service. If you can't offer competitive prices, then you need to figure out how to do so. Those on line sales places have brick and mortar backing them up too, they're not operating out of the back of a van (I'm pretty sure, at least), so they have the same bills to pay as the LDS but they've just found a better business model.

There will always be those who will prefer to look, touch, and try locally rather than buy off of a web site. The opposite is true too. Some shops will make it, others won't. A love to teach scuba and a love to be in the industry doesn't mean that your business will make it. A simple, yet harsh reality of open-market economic models.

clc_black.gif Click for a larger version.

Are you a loyal dive shop customer? Here is the SSI Customer Loyalty Cycle. The merchant has invested in a business designed to keep people diving and spending. It starts as a curious individual walks in the door. (Notice the Education and Bonding Phase.)

Only a fraction of those who walk in for a peek at diving become lifetime divers. This system is to maintain participation in the sport with the dive shop at the center of it. One can imagine the frustration and consternation generated when a customer moves outside the circle.

Keeping the customer revolving around the dive shop, like a planet around a star, is critical to the existance of the business.

Back
Top Bottom