Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got an email from the instructor and she said it will be another $110. per person to do a weight check in the pool before the check out dives.

I called the owner of the dive shop and he asked me to fwd my emails to/from her to him and he'd see if it could be straightened out. I flat out told him that I felt the time and money was already paid for seeing as we didn't use all of the alotted time we paid for in the class. I told him I felt I had shelled out enough seeing as I hadn't even hit the water yet. AND that she never told us our next pool trip was going to cost us more $$.

He said he was going to review the emails and get back to me.

Am I wrong here? It feels like they are trying to squeeze more money out and I can't get my check out dives from the other shop.

That's ridiculous. I'd demand my course fees refunded and go somewhere else. $110 for a weight check? That's more than shops charge for a full refresher course. It would be nice to do a weight check before the checkout dives but it's not crucial. No reason the weight check couldn't be done at the dive site, just bring enough weight to cover what may be needed. Your instructor should be able to tell within a few pounds by looking at you and your gear.

This shop deserves to be named, then they can be contacted and given an opportunity to respond here.

You are 100% right. This is a scam... if you want to do a buoyancy check there is no reason you couldn't join the pool session of another class (instructor would already be there) and do it while the new students are doing a swim test or treading... there is absolutely no need to be paying additional money to do something as simple as this. You need to get away from this instructor and shop ASAP.

If you charged the classes on the credit card, it may be time to dispute it if the shop owner can't come up with a workable (and free) solution to your problem.

I would agree ... that's an awful lot of money for something so simple. It costs them nothing extra to have you do a weight check during another regularly-scheduled pool session. Dive shops routinely do that for their students.

If they want your business, they'll find a way to work this to your mutual satisfaction. If they're unwilling to do that, they don't deserve your business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Merchant.r

110$ for a weight check ? Bloody hell ! - They're taking the piss as we say over here.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to go to the dive shop to shoot the breeze. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

Why would I want to do that, when I could be out diving instead....? :confused:

Well, when I lived 250 miles from the ocean, shooting the breeze at the dive shop was the thing to do.

I got an email from the instructor and she said it will be another $110. per person to do a weight check in the pool before the check out dives.

I called the owner of the dive shop and he asked me to fwd my emails to/from her to him and he'd see if it could be straightened out. I flat out told him that I felt the time and money was already paid for seeing as we didn't use all of the alotted time we paid for in the class. I told him I felt I had shelled out enough seeing as I hadn't even hit the water yet. AND that she never told us our next pool trip was going to cost us more $$.

He said he was going to review the emails and get back to me.

Am I wrong here? It feels like they are trying to squeeze more money out and I can't get my check out dives from the other shop.

Talk about being ripped off, $110 for 10 minutes in the pool, that like paying $660/hour. That is crazy, I would not do any future business with them even if they get a solution that is free. This tells you the character of the shop. If they do not have a solution you can live with, just go to your check out dives, and spend the first 10 minutes doing a weight check.

Pool use is a big thing these days due the Trial Lawyers! So I can see it, but is it mandatory, why not do it where you will do your checkout dive? He maybe getting screwed by the pool owner! They are good at it! So find out all the facts and then air the laundry!

I think it's too soon to say whether it tells us about the character of the shop or the instructor. While I would have expected the owner to resolve it on the spot maybe they simply wanted to hear the other side before making a judgment, and will get back shortly with an apology and a free solution.

I hate to speculate but instructors often get paid by the student and a class of three just isn't very rewarding for the time involved. Perhaps they have a bad attitude because of this and are trying to drum up more money or minimize their time spent. But this is an issue between the instructor and the shop, and the students should not be dragged into it. Then again, maybe the instructor is just following the practices set by the owner.

Problem is that hot air always ends up giving you a short fill ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Holy smokes....I think I see another quote I am going to have to save for later use....not sure if it is original with you Bob, but in my mind it is a classic!

Back
Top Bottom