Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefhound-

It was a 3 person class. 2 of which were my boyfriend and myself. When we realized we were going to not need the 2nd pool trip and 3rd class day, she suggested we get together closer to the check out dates to get the weight thing settled.

There was never any mention of it costing more.

Correction, she paid for 2 pool session, and only uses one.

I am very lucky there are two shops near me and both are good. i have bought gear and training in both. I will say that there is one shop which has done a great job they have saved my money on crap i was going to buy that i didn't need and they told me not to waste money they were straight up when i asked about gear and was supportive when i had used the other shop. This shop also has a large following and there are alway people hanging around so if you have questions need a dive partner there is always a place to go

Lets blame big oil and Bush for this one too! Come on it's popular! :shakehead:
Nah ... if Bush were running this LDS it probably would've gone bankrupt long before the problem occurred ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So without the other side you don't know what the OP was supposed to get? Maybe he was supposed to get three pool sessions based on a number of people in order to get skills down? Then the pool schedule changed or there where less people and he got more attention than normal? Point being he signed up to learn SCUBA, did he? What about the other side, oh ya we don't care! Yes we do we want all internet and big box stores! I love it when people attack business and know nothing about it! Lets blame big oil and Bush for this one too! Come on it's popular! :shakehead:

Your point is invalid, she paid for 2 session and only uses one, if she learn quick it's her learning ability. The fee was for 2 pool session and she needed to do a weight check, the second session is there to do that. If the shop and instructor was trying to save the pool money, it is wrong. She still have paid for that second session. So there should have been no issue on having to pay $110 bucks for 10 minute worth of work. It is that simple. She paid for scuba lesson and 3 class day and 2 pool sessions. She has the right to get what she paid for.

PS

If Big Oil was running it, the LDS would be booming :rofl3:

I am very lucky there are two shops near me and both are good. i have bought gear and training in both. I will say that there is one shop which has done a great job they have saved my money on crap i was going to buy that i didn't need and they told me not to waste money they were straight up when i asked about gear and was supportive when i had used the other shop. This shop also has a large following and there are alway people hanging around so if you have questions need a dive partner there is always a place to go

You are lucky, you have a good LDS. If more shops do business like yours, this support the LDS controversy would not be so prevalent on this board and stop coming up.

But I like my LDS too, LeisurePro 10 minutes from my house, :rofl3:

What about the other side, oh ya we don't care! Yes we do we want all internet and big box stores! I love it when people attack business and know nothing about it! Lets blame big oil and Bush for this one too! Come on it's popular! :shakehead:

Please, get some sleep. Seeing you have a melt down is kinda embarassing.

I'll grant you that we are only hearing one side of the story. But there is no trial here, nobody is calling for a boycott, the shop hasn't even been named. The OP sounds reasonable and honest, I see nothing for him to gain by making things up.

Ok. I have a question. There are 2 dive shops in my area. Seeing as I had no idea wheather one was any better than the other, I took my OW class at the one who's schedule best meshed with mine. My OW Check out dives are coming up soon.

Problem: I am looking to take my AOW before the summer is out and the OTHER shop has a better AOW schedule for my needs.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?
With a number of shops available I debated this and felt a bit guilty even thinking to. But with no other criteria I say check out the other guy. For one thing AOW is no big deal. Really I think it is more like supporting the local, and local dive economy. Good to have more than one choice available – competition. And if any shop had a snit over loyalty it would reflect poorly on them.

So no matter what he would have done he was going to lose a customer???? Too sad! And do you even know for what??? Lets see, does whats right = Losses customer!

No, not at all. If I had been in Merchant's place, I would have expected a discount at shoddy treatment like that. If the dive shop has stuffed up with pricing - i.e. not giving her all of the pool sessions, then charging her for a pool session to do a weight check on top of that and then resolving it by trying to make her feel like she is being done a favour - then they are at fault and because of the fact it is not a favourable economic environment for a dive shop it would be in their best interests to try to make up for their screw up. If they made efforts to make amends, then I doubt Merchant would be so unhappy and he would have kept a customer.

Papa Bear:
So without the other side you don't know what the OP was supposed to get? Maybe he was supposed to get three pool sessions based on a number of people in order to get skills down? Then the pool schedule changed or there where less people and he got more attention than normal? Point being he signed up to learn SCUBA, did he? What about the other side, oh ya we don't care! Yes we do we want all internet and big box stores! I love it when people attack business and know nothing about it!

Well she (not he, you obviously don't pay enough attention to her posts) mentioned what she was supposed to get in the course and it was not delivered, and then the instructor wanted money on top of the original cost. Even if she is a quick learner or got more attention the price was agreed on initially and if the instructor has underestimated how much to charge then she has to live with it like anybody else when they make a mistake.

Merchant, it really sucks how you have been treated. If I was in your position I would try to get a full refund (not likely but its best not to start at the amount you are willing to accept :wink:), or failing that get a proportional refund based on what they have done for you already. Then I'd go see the other dive shop and hope for the best. You might even want to explain to them what happened at the other shops as many places like to prove themselves over the competition so you might get really good treatment, or maybe not but I think it's worth a shot :p

Good luck, and I hope the rest of your OW goes with out hassles.

Last edited:
Correction, she paid for 2 pool session, and only uses one.

Really cannot make a call on this unless you hear from the LDS side of story.Theres always 3 sides of a story-your side ,their side and in the middle somewhere the truth.
A class of 3 people , all able swimmers and comfortable in the water, an instructor can possibly get all confined skills done in one long session. No big deal.She paid for an OW course, she got an OW course. Some people complain on "why do we have to come back? Could'nt we do all the pool stuff now?" Others say"we want more pool time and evaluate the quailty of our course on how many hours we spend in the pool"
You cannot please everyone.
The LDS may not own a pool and has to pay for pool time at a high rate. Was pool time scheduled for this "buoyancy check" and the op did not show up? Pool still has to be paid for.
Why even do buoyancy check at pool? What value can it do if the training dives are in salt water and the pool is fresh? Different gear ( 3mm vs 7mm suits) also.The method of a buoyancy check is to be done in the confined water portion of the course in module 2 I believe.
I like what a LDS in NYC claims for their private class, "we will fit your schedule,but pool time is such and such day /time and is inflexible".Its all about pool time.
We have a pool, on site at the LDS in the NYC metro area and its available to the instructors 24/7..no problem there with scheduling it :) .

Really cannot make a call on this unless you hear from the LDS side of story.Theres always 3 sides of a story-your side ,their side and in the middle somewhere the truth.
A class of 3 people , all able swimmers and comfortable in the water, an instructor can possibly get all confined skills done in one long session. No big deal.She paid for an OW course, she got an OW course. Some people complain on "why do we have to come back? Could'nt we do all the pool stuff now?" Others say"we want more pool time and evaluate the quailty of our course on how many hours we spend in the pool"
You cannot please everyone.
The LDS may not own a pool and has to pay for pool time at a high rate. Was pool time scheduled for this "buoyancy check" and the op did not show up? Pool still has to be paid for.
Why even do buoyancy check at pool? What value can it do if the training dives are in salt water and the pool is fresh? Different gear ( 3mm vs 7mm suits) also.The method of a buoyancy check is to be done in the confined water portion of the course in module 2 I believe.
I like what a LDS in NYC claims for their private class, "we will fit your schedule,but pool time is such and such day /time and is inflexible".Its all about pool time.
We have a pool, on site at the LDS in the NYC metro area and its available to the instructors 24/7..no problem there with scheduling it :) .

Just a question, how reasonable do you find $110 for a person to get a weight check? Seeing as you're an instructor, wondering if you would find this an acceptable price to charge someone.

Back
Top Bottom