Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. I have a question. There are 2 dive shops in my area. Seeing as I had no idea wheather one was any better than the other, I took my OW class at the one who's schedule best meshed with mine. My OW Check out dives are coming up soon.

Problem: I am looking to take my AOW before the summer is out and the OTHER shop has a better AOW schedule for my needs.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?

You need to do what suits your schedule.

Just a question, how reasonable do you find $110 for a person to get a weight check? Seeing as you're an instructor, wondering if you would find this an acceptable price to charge someone.

You don't know without the other side! And Merchant is a female name? Sorry I am used to Sue or something like that!

The LDS may not own a pool and has to pay for pool time at a high rate. Was pool time scheduled for this "buoyancy check" and the op did not show up? Pool still has to be paid for..

This goes back to the point I made earlier in this thread, the pool time is not an issue because a reasonable instructor would piggyback on already scheduled pool time. If the OP had demanded a specific time for the weight check again, a reasonable instructor would have relayed the fact that by doing it on this specific time and date it will cost you extra, OR if you do it on *fill in date here* time and date, we'll work you in.

Call me naive but at $110 per person, I believe I would be looking for a new pool to do the confined water work if I were this LDS. One could even make the argument that if it's a relatively busy LDS, they could quickly justify the cost of building their own pool in a couple of years at that rate.

You don't know without the other side! And Merchant is a female name? Sorry I am used to Sue or something like that!

Really?

So what's your real name ... Papa or Bear?

People choose all sorts of names to use on internet forums ... some even choose to use their surname.

Does that truly surprise you?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This goes back to the point I made earlier in this thread, the pool time is not an issue because a reasonable instructor would piggyback on already scheduled pool time. If the OP had demanded a specific time for the weight check again, a reasonable instructor would have relayed the fact that by doing it on this specific time and date it will cost you extra, OR if you do it on *fill in date here* time and date, we'll work you in.

Call me naive but at $110 per person, I believe I would be looking for a new pool to do the confined water work if I were this LDS. One could even make the argument that if it's a relatively busy LDS, they could quickly justify the cost of building their own pool in a couple of years at that rate.

Pool costs here in NY range from a group being charged $200.+ for 2 hours or $75. per person for 2 hrs, and thats just for use of a lane!.Depends on how the instructor pays for pool time(group or by head count). So if the facility had a pool scheduled and paid for, and a student does not show up as scheduled, the facility still has to pay for pool time.So for a instructor to "piggy back a student" it still costs the facility extra to add the student to class.

Pool costs here in NY range from a group being charged $200.+ for 2 hours or $75. per person for 2 hrs, and thats just for use of a lane!.Depends on how the instructor pays for pool time(group or by head count). So if the facility had a pool scheduled and paid for, and a student does not show up as scheduled, the facility still has to pay for pool time.So for a instructor to "piggy back a student" it still costs the facility extra to add the student to class.

Granted ... however, the OP lives in Colchester, Vermont ... things tend to be a bit less expensive in Vermont than they are in metropolitan New York.

I'd be willing to bet pool time in her area runs no more than about $75 per hour for the whole pool ... and you only need about 10 minutes to do a weight check.

I still don't understand why this is even necessary. Depending on where she does her checkout dives, any difference in gear configuration or exposure suit is going to require another weight check anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes I realise that Papa Bear. That is why I was asking an instructor who commented here if they would find $110 reasonable. I am sure they can give me some idea. (Thanks for your comments about pool costs oly, it still doesn't sound like it is worth $110)

Also as Bob mentioned, it seems odd that they are doing a weight check in a pool as it is likely to vary in OW dives. They may as well leave it til then. Or is it that they want to make some extra money? That is what I am wondering, sounds suss.

Hmm... Lets see...

The option of doing my weight check on the same day as my check out dives wasn't offered.

Papa - My name is Rebecca Merchant. Had you clicked on my name it would have showed on my profile that I am female. PLUS, I said I will most likely go to the other shop in the future because I have a feeling things will be sort of wierd after this situation. Vermont is small and from what I have gathered, not a huge dive community.

Jldodd- I didn't miss a scheduled pool day. If I had, I would understand the fee.

16 days until my check out dives.

Hmm... Lets see...

The option of doing my weight check on the same day as my check out dives wasn't offered.

Papa - My name is Rebecca Merchant. Had you clicked on my name it would have showed on my profile that I am female. PLUS, I said I will most likely go to the other shop in the future because I have a feeling things will be sort of wierd after this situation. Vermont is small and from what I have gathered, not a huge dive community.

Jldodd- I didn't miss a scheduled pool day. If I had, I would understand the fee.

Ms Merchany; sorry about how the lds treated you there.Sounds like something is wrong,but cannot really say who is wrong without hearing the other side of the story.Yes pool time is expensive and then the store still has to pay the instructor for their time, so if the store has to get pool time and an instructor for 1 or 2 students then the $110. sounds about right.But I cannot understand for the life of me why there is a need for a buoyancy check in a pool.Even if you are going to a lake/quarry there will be a difference in buoyancy,MUCH more so if in ealt water. During the training dives it is usually a requirement for the student to demonstrate a buoyancy check before descending anyway.
We have our own indoor heated pool at the facility I teach at and charge $120. for a refresher that may take usually 2 hrs.If the diver has a buddy that needs it also the second person is no charge.Pools are expensive and the instructors time has to be paid.

Hmm... Lets see...

Rebecca,

Try not to let some of the poster ruffle you. Some think they are all knowing and their point are absolutely correct. I tend to pay those poster no mind. Most other poster generally are helpful without be condescending or arrogant.

I would do the weight check in the pool with the gear you will be doing on your check out dives, as I presume you will be doing a lake dive get the approximate weight you will need. And on the day of your check out dive, fine tune it with another weight check. As you get more comfortable with scuba, you will be using less and less weight. I started with 20lb with a 3mm water, now I am at 10 with a 3mm in saltwater. Good luck on your check dive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom