Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes pool time is expensive and then the store still has to pay the instructor for their time, so if the store has to get pool time and an instructor for 1 or 2 students then the $110. sounds about right.

First, she said $110 each. That's $220 total and doesn't sound reasonable to me. Second, this was pool time already alloted (and presumably costed) in the original course fee/schedule.

figure on pool time @$100. for an hr.--New York City rates! thats what it can be..some pools charge per group at that rate,some by person ,at that rate!
then figure on 2 hrs cost to the store for the instructor time(pool time/meet and greet/travel/equipment/insurance/gas for vehicle/) @$50. per hr(store is paying instructor on books-so workmans comp,social security,benefits,)the instructor may get $15.-$20. per hour of this $50.
So now we are up to $200. this is for a person/persons, that were originally to complete confined water class with a group(lower costs to facility)and for whatever reason could not make schedule.
I know it sounds harsh, but for a facility that has to rent a pool and then send an instructor there , these are close to the actual costs.If the facility has its own inhouse pool, and an instructor in house paid hourly on a 40 hr a week basis,then there may be more flexibility in what is charged.
It is a business and expenses have to be charged to survive.Did these people purchase their gear at the facility or went online for it? That can have a bearing on things also.If the facility made gear sales to them I am sure the service may have been better. Not to play devils advocate here or to say OP is in the wrong.Just giving different possible view of things.

Really?

So what's your real name ... Papa or Bear?

People choose all sorts of names to use on internet forums ... some even choose to use their surname.

Does that truly surprise you?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am sorry I don't know too many "Papa Bears" that are female? Do you? What does that have to do with hearing both sides and I don't hide my name: Reed Nescher so what and Papa Bear was given to me by close friends! I wonder if Merchant was? Or NWGratefuldiver?

Stick to the price of cheese in Wisconsin!

We have a diver here in town that frequents each shop -- there are 3. If he buys a piece of equipment at one shop, he buys something of equal value at the other shops. When he goes on a trip with one shop, he goes on a trip with the other shops. He's a bit absent-minded, so sometimes it causes him some confusion.

We were in Grand Cayman last summer and he was certain that he had signed up for AOW with our shop. The LDS owner was leading the trip and the shop manager hadn't mentioned that this guy wanted to do AOW. We worked it out so that this guy earned his AOW while in GC. A week after he got back, he came in to tell us that he had signed up for advanced with another shop (an SSI shop) and not us. Then he paid for the AOW class! I don't know if he took the SSI AOW class, but my guess is that he did!

He's a bit odd in some ways, but he's a very happy guy and a blast to be around. He's also a much better diver than he was a year ago, so somebody's instruction must be helping him!

Well if he's got the money for that, good for him.

As for pool time, what expenses the business has are not the customer's problem. The customer is not obligated to pay any price because the business needs or thinks it needs that price. If it's more than the customer wants to pay, he can go elsewhere or do without. Businesses that can't keep their costs under control eventually go out of business.

I am sorry I don't know too many "Papa Bears" that are female? Do you? What does that have to do with hearing both sides and I don't hide my name: Reed Nescher so what and Papa Bear was given to me by close friends! I wonder if Merchant was? Or NWGratefuldiver?

Stick to the price of cheese in Wisconsin!

Merchant is her last name.

She stated that already.

Please stop trying to attack people here who don't agree with you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Who's to say you cannot have that homey feeling at both shops. I see no harm in doing business with both.

YEAH DIVE SHOP POLYGAMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(or should it be harlotry?)

I'm not their only customer, why should they be my only dive shop.

I'm not their only customer, why should they be my only dive shop.

That about sums it up ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

yea, no unilateral contracts for me either.

It is not personal.

Back
Top Bottom