Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merchant.r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok. I have a question. There are 2 dive shops in my area. Seeing as I had no idea wheather one was any better than the other, I took my OW class at the one who's schedule best meshed with mine. My OW Check out dives are coming up soon.

Problem: I am looking to take my AOW before the summer is out and the OTHER shop has a better AOW schedule for my needs.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?

Uh-oh.

my advice? ...just play oblivious.

"yea, the schedule was were better over there..."

don't get sucked in to having to play that game.

Well, I think you should try the other shop. You need to find the one that best serves your needs, overall.

The dive shops would answer that question differently, though. But that is what competition is for. One usually will out-shine the other in some way that draws you to it over the other.

I just took my intro to cave with one instructor, and I'm going to another for my next course. If the instructor I just used asks, I'll tell him the truth, I wanted a multitude of opinions. Don't lie to them and come up with scheduling BS, just be honest. It's your safety, time, and money, not theirs, so spend it how you like.

Go with the one who suits your needs. Just be honest and tell the first shop their schedule doesn't work for you. You are the paying customer after all.

Many will suggest that variety is good. There is a good chance that the 2nd instructor will close some gaps if they do a skills review.

Not that it matters but are they with the same agency?

Pete

I went with the shop in the area that better suited my needs, I almost went with the other one, and attempted to modify the crap out of my schedule, when the other one opened up.

I talked to them, they were pretty accomodating, and I was able to slip in with another couple for my class room and pool sessions, then slid in with another class for my check outs.

I'm glad I found these guys because a few years down the road, I saw how the other shop handled their classes, and I'm relieved that I didn't use them! I definately learned more from the shop I use!

I would see if the other shop has any references that they can offer (guys that hopefully continue to dive with them) and see how they are. Word of mouth is the best advertisement!!

Agency? No don't think so. I believe they are just two privately owned shops.

Agency refers to the company on the card such as PADI, NAUI, PDIC, SSI etc. and EIEIO :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom