Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you want a "Gas station" Relationship? I think you miss a lot if you don't become a part of your LDS and make relationships that will encourage you to dive more or continue your training! Usually they're associated with a dive club and can be great resources for dive buddies and learning from the more experienced divers! I believe in fostering a good relationship with the people I will be recreating with! That is the problem with big box stores! You would look silly hanging out at the counter in the sporting goods department, but your LDS should accommodate a place to meet, checkout new equipment, and encourage divers to meet and chat! My LDS is the Cheers of Dive stores and on any given afternoon you can find someone watching a video, having a Soda, or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars! Mayberry RFD or the local Barber Shop, maybe, but I wouldn't trade that homey feeling and all the great people I have met for volume sales and discount prices in town! So like most things you get out of it what you put into it! If you don't have a shop like this? Find out why!

My LDS is the Cheers of Dive stores and on any given afternoon you can find someone watching a video, having a Soda, or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars! Mayberry RFD or the local Barber Shop, maybe, but I wouldn't trade that homey feeling and all the great people I have met for volume sales and discount prices in town! So like most things you get out of it what you put into it! If you don't have a shop like this? Find out why!

That's fine and dandy for you. I don't think I've ever seen a dive shop like that and I make a point to check out the local shops whenever I travel. Watching videos? Of what?

I wonder if you even read the original post. He wasn't asking whether to do business with a homey dive shop or a big discount place. He was wondering about two shops in his area, of which he doesn't know Adam from Eve. Maybe the "other" shop is the one like yours?

Papa Bear:
your LDS should accommodate a place to meet, checkout new equipment, and encourage divers to meet and chat! My LDS is the Cheers of Dive stores and on any given afternoon you can find someone watching a video, having a Soda, or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars! Mayberry RFD or the local Barber Shop, maybe, but I wouldn't trade that homey feeling and all the great people I have met for volume sales and discount prices in town! So like most things you get out of it what you put into it! If you don't have a shop like this? Find out why!

Well said!

There are times when I go to the competition because my shop doesn't do tech training. But at the end of the day I can be found "having a soda or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars" at my favorite watering hole, so to speak. It is a great way to form relationships not only with the people who work at the shop but with the other "regulars" as well. I wouldn't trade it either Papa Bear.

ReefHound:
I don't think I've ever seen a dive shop like that

RH...Not trying to be smart assed at all by saying this, but if you are ever in Beaufort, NC, stop by Discovery and I will show you one...

RH...Not trying to be smart assed at all by saying this, but if you are ever in Beaufort, NC, stop by Discovery and I will show you one...

I shall try. NC is on my short list.

Since I began diving I have been checking out every dive shop that I come across. One of the nearby LDS is arrogant and overpriced, Another is a Box Store, but the scuba dept. mgr. is knowlagable and helpful. Another LDS is well stocked and has relatively new rental gear. I have made purchases from all of these stores, and learn from my experiences. As long as you are not an @$$ about it, the LDSs shouldn't get too bent.

You only took one class there...unless you really liked them (which I assume you didn't since we're having this discussion) you don't owe them any loyalty. Go meet the instructor at the other shop, see what they'll do for you and how well it works for you personally. That should help you decide.

As far as etiquette goes...don't worry too much about that..diving is a pretty casual activity.

You're the customer. While lots can be said of loyalty, and often it will get you some perks with a shop, equally often it doesn't. You should never stay loyal to any shop out of a sense of obligation, you're not the one obligated, the shop is.

One factor you might consider is the quality of the first instructor and your rapport with him. Instructors vary in style and quality and if you feel that your first was exceptionally thorough, patient, answered all your questions, went beyond the basics, or you felt very comfortable with him, you should consider staying with him if practical. It isn't about loyalty per se, but a matter of having a winner and staying with him.

Shopping instructors isn't like shopping merchandise, in that you really can't know what you're getting until after you've paid for it. It's a question of the devil you know vs. the devil you don't.
Ask yourself "how good was my instructor?" "what are the odds the next will be better or worse?"
"was he great enough to stay with despite my inconvenience, or should I roll the dice?"

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I'm in the same boat, so to speak.

I do have a rapport with one LDS, but their price for the Rescue Diver Course, is a full $100 CDN, more than another shop that I have dealt with.

In my case, I'll offer shop 1 the chance to match shop 2, (or at least get close) but if not, shop 2 will get my (fewer) $$$'s

Quote from shop 1 " $350.00 plus GST Diver has all personal gear."

Shop 2 - " PADI Rescue Diver $250"

Last edited:
If you had a good relationship with your OW instructor and he/she motivated you enough to go on to Adv why change? Ask the instructor if they can work something out to fit your schedule.Explain the situation and I am sure that something can be worked out.No one wants to loose a customer.

Back
Top Bottom