Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive shops are like strip clubs - the people working there only act like their your friend because you keep putting dollar bills in their pants. There's no real fidelity either direction.

I kid, I kid.

Sort of.

If you went into your usual supermarket to buy something and they didn't have it, would you hesitate buying it from a different supermarket who did?

They're selling a product ... buy it from the store that offers what you're looking for.

This loyalty thing is a crock ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You have every right to go where things suit you, but the shops may not see it that way. I have been amazed at how proprietary shops feel about their customers. I've never encountered that with any other kind of retail business. Even buying an item from somebody who carries a brand not carried in your usual shop can irritate them, if the owner/operator finds out about it.

I've managed to maintain a welcome in several shops by batting my eyelashes and generally acting clueless.

Do you want a "Gas station" Relationship? I think you miss a lot if you don't become a part of your LDS and make relationships that will encourage you to dive more or continue your training! Usually they're associated with a dive club and can be great resources for dive buddies and learning from the more experienced divers! I believe in fostering a good relationship with the people I will be recreating with! That is the problem with big box stores! You would look silly hanging out at the counter in the sporting goods department, but your LDS should accommodate a place to meet, checkout new equipment, and encourage divers to meet and chat! My LDS is the Cheers of Dive stores and on any given afternoon you can find someone watching a video, having a Soda, or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars! Mayberry RFD or the local Barber Shop, maybe, but I wouldn't trade that homey feeling and all the great people I have met for volume sales and discount prices in town! So like most things you get out of it what you put into it! If you don't have a shop like this? Find out why!

I agree. People forget that part of the whole thing.

Who's to say you cannot have that homey feeling at both shops. I see no harm in doing business with both.

Who's to say you cannot have that homey feeling at both shops. I see no harm in doing business with both.

A lot of dive shop owners say so.

I used to think I could have good relationships with multiple dive shops in our area. In some cases, I can. In other cases, what I found was that the LDS owners viewed your patronage as something like a marriage ... they'd get real upset if they found out you bought anything somewhere else. Before long, they're giving you the cold shoulder when you walk in the store, and bad-mouthing you when you're not there.

Who needs that?

I used to spend between $15-$20 thousand a year at local dive shops. Now the few that will treat me like they appreciate my business will get part of it ... the rest goes to online retailers who carry what I want. At least with an online retailer I don't have to put up with their BS ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How said is that story? :( Someone get me a hankie! But then again I know first hand how well you get along! :rofl3:

The only way an LDS is going to know how they stack up against the local competition is if they have to compete. So let the (make them!) do so. Got to the second shop, if it works better for you, for no other reason than to keep the first one on their toes. If they aren't willing to compete for your business, whether it's scheduling flexibility, pricing, selection, services, or whatever, there's an answer you'll never have if you don't at least learn if the grass is greeener on the other side of the fence.

PS - Consider yourself lucky ... you live in an area where you have a choice!

Do you want a "Gas station" Relationship? I think you miss a lot if you don't become a part of your LDS and make relationships that will encourage you to dive more or continue your training! Usually they're associated with a dive club and can be great resources for dive buddies and learning from the more experienced divers! I believe in fostering a good relationship with the people I will be recreating with! That is the problem with big box stores! You would look silly hanging out at the counter in the sporting goods department, but your LDS should accommodate a place to meet, checkout new equipment, and encourage divers to meet and chat! My LDS is the Cheers of Dive stores and on any given afternoon you can find someone watching a video, having a Soda, or chatting with the owner or one of the regulars! Mayberry RFD or the local Barber Shop, maybe, but I wouldn't trade that homey feeling and all the great people I have met for volume sales and discount prices in town! So like most things you get out of it what you put into it! If you don't have a shop like this? Find out why!

We keep telling the one owner of my LDS that he needs to put in a couch and get a bigger fridge for beer!

A lot of dive shop owners say so.

What are they doing to retain your business? They're in business and must understand
if they cannot or unwilling to provide you with your wants then they must grin and bear it when your $$$ goes to a competitor. They should be providing you with a positive experiences so when you do shop elsewhere you'll want to return with your $$$.

they'd get real upset if they found out you bought anything somewhere else. Before long, they're giving you the cold shoulder when you walk in the store, and bad-mouthing you when you're not there.

Who wants that!? A perfect example of poor customer service.:no Seems like that LDS not only lost a customer and a promoter, but a potential friend as well. If my LDS treats me as badly as yours did, I'd fire them too.

If you can't tell, I am particular about good service.:D

Back
Top Bottom