Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so tired of all the games the LDS's play with people. The last time I checked I was the customer and they should be working to make ME happy not us worrying about upsetting them. I've tried to work with several of the dive shops in my area when purchasing equipment and 99.9% have acted like they could care less. Just give us your money we don't care if it cost 100% more than what you can buy it for on the internet or NO we don't carry the brand of equipment you want our stuff is the best the rest is junk. I have seen them act half mad when we talk about where I got certified, well excuse me for not driving 2 hours each way to come to your shop because only you have the best instructors, if they really cared they would have come to my hometown and held the dive classes for myself and 8 other students like my instructor did, he made the effort for his students and for that reason I have stayed loyal to him. I'm now finishing up my Dive Master training all with the same instructor just because he made an effort to put his customers first not just training me so I would come into the LDS and spend several 1000's of dollars on equipment from their shop. Yes I'm sure my instructor has made money off of me over the past year (not much I think he would make more per hour if he could just learn to say "would you like fries with that order" ) he does it for the LOVE of diving and maybe enough cash to buy a new wetsuit ever once in awhile. The whole point being the dive shops work for me not the other way around.

:11:

ohh noos! Im not alone!??! What will the LDS do?!?!? :confused:

:mooner:

Must be the pirate flags:D

Last edited:
I actually called my old LDS to tell them that I was going to do some diving with a new LDS just for a bit of a change of scene and to meet some new people, not because I felt I owed them any obligation to be their customer for life, but just because I get on quite well with them and I wanted to be polite. They were equally polite back, saying they hoped I had a good time with the new guys, and would always be happy to send me a schedule of upcoming dives if I wanted to come back to more familiar surroundings.

I am sure some LDSs can be possessive and aggressive, and any type of business will have the ****heads in it somewhere, but I usually find treating people with consideration and as sensible adults results in similar treatment coming back the same way.

Sermon over.

We all use dive guides where I live.

Sometimes, when we're out at a dive site, you'll see a guide that you went out with on an earlier dive, and it feels a little strange.

It's like being out on a date with one girl, and seeing the girl you were making out with at the club the night before.

Awkward.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?

it's not like you slept with them. It's a business transaction.

Hey Clint-

I would be thrilled if my LDS offered mid week daytime classes. My days off are Thursday and Sunday. It is almost an act of congress to get a Saturday off.

Most Dive Shops refuse to think this way unfortunately!

It was hard for me to make the move, but I decided to listen to the customers needs. It has been a huge success and now the majority of all training happens during daytime business hours. Another great side effect I have seen is that the students hang around a bit after class and run into other divers that always have great stories to share. It really has been magic.

Hey Clint-

I would be thrilled if my LDS offered mid week daytime classes. My days off are Thursday and Sunday. It is almost an act of congress to get a Saturday off.

Try a different route, see if there is a PADI instructor in your area, and see if they can set up private lesson to suit you needs. I did that, my classes were weekdays form 9-5. Padi does not require the instructor to be affiliated with a LDS. I am not completely sure but I think Naui also. Good luck.

PS

The private instructor lesson was not intended to compare or advocate any one agency.:coffee:

Last edited:
Try a different route, see if there is a PADI instructor in your area, and see if they can set up private lesson to suit you needs. I did that, my classes were weekdays form 9-5. Padi does not require the instructor to be affiliated with a LDS. I am not completely sure but I think Naui also. Good luck.

PS

The private instructor lesson was not intended to compare or advocate any one agency.:coffee:

I guess that I am lucky in the fact that I can offer ANY schedule to a student due to 24hr access to an LDS classroom/ pool I have.Anyone having a problem scheduling a class?? :)

Hey Clint-

Have you considered (or have access to) an independent instructor?

I teach independent of a dive shop ... although I maintain loose affiliations with a couple of them. The advantage to my students is that I can teach whenever I want, and structure the class to suit the needs of my students.

Many people find this option attractive ... for reasons similar to yours.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom