Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to go to the dive shop to shoot the breeze. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

Why would I want to do that, when I could be out diving instead....? :confused:

One could say the same thing about scuba forums and yet... here you are.

Not everyone can be out diving instead. I can certainly see the appeal although I'm lucky enough to have a non-affiliated dive club that serves the same purpose, without the profit margins and sales pitches.

Got to spend some time with the parents while I'm home for a few days from college, you know. :wink:

Ok. I have a question. There are 2 dive shops in my area. Seeing as I had no idea wheather one was any better than the other, I took my OW class at the one who's schedule best meshed with mine. My OW Check out dives are coming up soon.

Problem: I am looking to take my AOW before the summer is out and the OTHER shop has a better AOW schedule for my needs.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?

Don't worry about it, and don't let the dive shop con you into thinking you should be loyal to them. Go with whoever works better for you, and there'll be no problem!

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to go to the dive shop to shoot the breeze. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

Why would I want to do that, when I could be out diving instead....? :confused:

Where I live the local dive site is only open on weekends (and Wednesdays June through September) we gotta do sumptin' to get out of the house! :D

Not everyone can be out diving instead. I can certainly see the appeal although I'm lucky enough to have a non-affiliated dive club that serves the same purpose, without the profit margins and sales pitches.

well we are here because allot of us are passing time waiting to leave work :rofl3:
Go to a scuba shop is on personal time, so I rather be doing my other hobbies. I only go when I need something. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I just got an email from my instructor. Like I said, our check out dives are 6/7 & 6/8. We were supposed to do a weight check in the pool with our wetsuits on in May. There wasn't time/space for us to pop in during the class that was going on that weekend. NOW she tells me we have to pay extra to do our quick hop in the pool. When we took the class, there were 3 days scheduled for the class. We used 1 1/2. Only 1 trip to the pool instead of 2.

Am I missing something? Didn't I already pay for the time and pool space?

Now I don't feel odd about looking at the other shop.

I see it as the Cream rises to the top! There are three types of LDS the ones that discount everything and undersell the competition until the day they close sooner than later! The ones that see everyone who comes through the door as Dollar signs until the day they close sooner than later! And the ones who have been in business for a long time because they really like diving, the people, the life style, they care about their customers, they spend a lot of money to get each one of them and they're easy to lose to number #1 and #2! Hard come easy go for greener grass! I can see why they want loyalty, but they don't demand it! SCUBA is unique in many ways and much of it is based on trust! Once they earn it they have a right to expect a certain amount of loyalty! We aren't talking slavery, but a far exchange is no robbery! As with most grown up relationships they work with commitment and you get out of them what you put into them! Always remember that the LDS is there to make a profit, a living, and provide a service as well! I am true to my school, my wife, and my LDS! :wink:

You know, this whole situation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I was really looking forward to my check out dives. These email exchanges are upsetting.

No worries, it won't keep me from diving. But yes Papa Bear, I am seriously questioning this shop.

I have forwarded the emails to the owner and asked a couple questions. We will see how he responds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom