Dive Shop Loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the frog kick is the only way to kick in scuba gear.
Why? If you're in a high flow environment and high enough off the floor where silt isn't an issue, I don't see the point. Wouldn't a modified flutter be more appropriate?

Ok. I have a question. There are 2 dive shops in my area. Seeing as I had no idea wheather one was any better than the other, I took my OW class at the one who's schedule best meshed with mine. My OW Check out dives are coming up soon.

Problem: I am looking to take my AOW before the summer is out and the OTHER shop has a better AOW schedule for my needs.

Is this some sort of breach of etiquette? Or is it ok to just go with the one who suits my needs at the moment?

If you're picking a shop to train with based on nothing more than their posted class schedule you're not putting enough critical thought into the decision.

I've worked with a number of local dive shops that are willing to accommodate my schedule. So much so, I've ended up with one on one classroom work and then joining the larger group on open water sessions. If they want your business, they will work with you.

BO, You keep harping on a point that isn't even a point! Where did I say give anyone anything except possible loyalty? What do you know of a business model? Please you know nothing from your post! Try and get air from the internet! The LDS store is no different as far as mark up than any shoe store in town! You might be paying a little more but it is not the same service! Your getting service and they have a right to charge for it! What part of "A Far exchange is no Robbery" don't you get? Not everyone is out to "Rip you off" only receive a far return on their investment! I don't know too many millionaire LDS owners! Most eek out a living and are hard working and honest! If you think you have a better model then go for it, but a fool and his money are soon parted! But it is Disingenuous for you to come hear and cast a wide net implying that "All LDS" are dishonest money hungry cheats that have only YOUR money on their minds!

....Try and get air from the internet!
After reading this thread and numerous others like it, I have come to the conclusion that it is possible to get air from the internet.

Hot air abounds on SB. Too bad you can't fill your tanks with it.:D

Loyalty, like respect, must be earned. Even then it can be "unearned" through actions or lack of actions. The real challenge is the understanding on the part of both parties regarding what it takes to deserve one's loyalty or respect.

Why? If you're in a high flow environment and high enough off the floor where silt isn't an issue, I don't see the point. Wouldn't a modified flutter be more appropriate?

You took my post too literally. I appreciate all the kicks that are taught. Actually the YMCA Scuba program, the agency through which I probably have the most certifications, actually teaches a full course on skin diving before they begin with SCUBA, and that course includes a number of kicks. I appreciate them all. If you are teaching SCUBA in Ohio you should urge your class to use the appropriate kick at the appropriate time and the silt on the bottom of a quarry is fine enough that it requires a frog kick.

After reading this thread and numerous others like it, I have come to the conclusion that it is possible to get air from the internet.

Hot air abounds on SB. Too bad you can't fill your tanks with it.:D

Loyalty, like respect, must be earned. Even then it can be "unearned" through actions or lack of actions. The real challenge is the understanding on the part of both parties regarding what it takes to deserve one's loyalty or respect.

:rofl3: yes there is allot of hot air on this board sometimes. Yup if all that hot air can be harness we would all be able to fill our tanks. LOL

It is true, loyalty is earned, and it is up to the parties to keep it.

And ppl keep forgetting it is your money it is up to you how you spend it, and other ppl really do not have a leg to stand on where you spend it, unless they gave you the money. So if you want to go to another shop there is nothing wrong with it. So if a shop brings up loyalty, I would start laughing it is not their money, it is yours. JMTW

WHAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID:
But it is Disingenuous for you to come hear and cast a wide net implying that "All LDS" are dishonest money hungry cheats that have only YOUR money on their minds!

WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID
The problem is, many (if not most) LDS's have an inefficient business model, wherein they can't afford to compete with internet brokers. It's not that the owners are bad people, or that they are out to gouge their customers. It's just that the volume and low overhead of internet delivery is superior to an LDS.
(emphasis added)

:shakehead:

It's poor form to put quotes around words that I didn't use. It misleads people into believing that those words were mine. When I said "many (if not most)" had inefficient business models, that is a far cry different than your exaggerated claim that I implied that "All LDS" are dishonest

More important, it's dishonest for you to suggest that I said "all LDS" are dishonest money hungry cheats, when I specifically said the higher prices are due to inefficient business models, and that owners weren't out to gouge their customers. To be honest, I'm surprised you had the courage to claim I was being disingenuous, and then immediately thereafter pull that stunt.

I think I'm done with this thread. You can have the last word if you wish, (because you seem really eager to get in last words.)

I only ask that you don't intentionally misquote me when you do.

WHAT YOU SAID THAT I SAID:

WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID
(emphasis added)

:shakehead:

It's poor form to put quotes around words that I didn't use. It misleads people into believing that those words were mine. When I said "many (if not most)" had inefficient business models, that is a far cry different than your exaggerated claim that I implied that "All LDS" are dishonest

More important, it's dishonest for you to suggest that I said "all LDS" are dishonest money hungry cheats, when I specifically said the higher prices are due to inefficient business models, and that owners weren't out to gouge their customers. To be honest, I'm surprised you had the courage to claim I was being disingenuous, and then immediately thereafter pull that stunt.

I think I'm done with this thread. You can have the last word if you wish, (because you seem really eager to get in last words.)

It seems some LDS advocate have no problem bending what people say to try to make their point seem right. POPCORN please :popcorn:

Big pet peeve of mine, too. There are a few folk on ScubaBoard who make a habit of it.

Fortunately, most readers know who they are and give their words all the credibility they deserve.

tedtim:
Hot air abounds on SB. Too bad you can't fill your tanks with it.
Problem is that hot air always ends up giving you a short fill ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom