Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove the blocks at Alhambra today at 4 pm. Temp was 77 and vis was around 5'. I was looking for some stonecrabs although I didnt find any. Found some small teeth and saw some healthy grouper and snook. It was nice to get in the water again.

I had a blast today with my co-workers at the beach.

Well two co-workers for now, Abby is moving back to Chicago next week!

We got to the beach at 8:30am or so, and it was just perfect!

Temp: 82
Water Temp: 75
VIZ: 6 ft (most of the time)

The water was just about pancake flat when we went in! We did not kick out far enough to find the GOOD teeth, but we did find plenty of standard teeth.

Great dive, actually saw a BUNCH of fish. Sheephead, Flounder and others I had no clue as to what they were. SPOTTED only ONE, small man-o-war. THAT, was it. By a small reef we swam across, there was a small shark cruising by (2-3 feet in length) brown with light spots, sand shark?

I came across numerous stone crab bits and pieces, I'd have to chalk it up to some octopus having its way! It was a pitty, some of the empty claws were just freaking BIG!

Dive lasted for about 70 minutes, and on exit the wind had shifted and we had some chop swimming back towards the shore.

I've attached a picture of Abby and myself at the waters edge. CHECK out how calm that water looks!

Attachments

• PICT0091.jpg
    PICT0091.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 98
Buddy and I headed to Brohard this am to check out the blocks and see if we could find the natural reef out a bit further. The water was flat all morning and afternoon. It was rather snotty with low viz until we got out a ways where it cleared to 10-15 ft viz. I was a bit cold wearing the bottom half of my long-john.

All that swimming eventually paid off as we hit the natural reef just as we were about to call it quits. Lots of fish on the the reef compared to my previous dives on the blocks. Spotted a white eel sticking his head from the sand. Any ideas on what this could have been?

Swimming south against the current we came upon a rather large overhang/crack. Four nurse sharks (or so we think) promptly circled us a few times, brushing up against my buddy.

We entered the water just as a kayak diver was headed out. The lesson of the day was "We need Kayaks!" By the time we had gotten to the end of the pier he was a mile out easy!

Perfect day to be out there!

-jon

Sunday 10-26-09 11:30 AM

Site: Boneyard
Water temp: 78
Viz: 2-3
Tide: near low
Wind: NW at 10 or so
Surf: 3 foot swells with 1 foot chop (rough)

Lots of snot and quite a few jellies. I aborted the dive after about ten minutes. I knew I should have picked another day. Like today maybe. :D

This thread is for posting dive reports, NOT posting a link to a dive report on another site. Since no dive report was posted, your post was off topic and will be deleted.
sorry, please remove the link in the quote :)

Alhambra
10-28-2009

Vis - 0
surface - 3-4ft chop
water temp - 77F

Aborted dive after about 10 mins. Hoping for better days! Was supposed to be my last dive before DEMA :(

EDIT: There was also a northeastern current to fight with, took me almost to the south end of Venice beach, had to hike back instead of fighting it in the water.

There are no rules that I'm aware of against adding a link. I deleted the post because it was not a dive report. If you post a dive report then there are no objection to the link being included.

There are no rules that I'm aware of against adding a link. I deleted the post because it was not a dive report. If you post a dive report then there are no objection to the link being included.

Okay :) thanks for the information, now I know for next time.

10/31 - The Boneyard
Not what we would expect from an eerie am halloween dive :)

Vis was great! 12-15ft on the first dive 8-10ft for the second. Water temp 78, seas 1ft, slight current on the first dive, was gone for the second. Good morning to get out; a weather front is about to change all of that though :(

Boneyard - 10/31 - SWFLscuba.com

31 Oct 09
S. Brohard, Venice

Winds ESE 5-15
Surf <1
Tide- incoming
Viz 3-6 ft
Temp: Air-90
Bttm- 76

I and 3 other divers had a great day of crab grabbing. A lot of shorts and babies but we got enough for a couple of meals. I Also managed to poke a 18" flounder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom