Dive Op - Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes. I bought the NICE DAN giant 6 footers with a lightstick and all that crap. Nice, but just too big. Wont fit in a pocket and its like dragging an oil drum along with you. So then I bought something like this:

SMB at leisure pro

That is all the missus carries. Just a tube to wave at the surface if needed, which she never has to date. And she fits it in a pocket.

I bought a finger spool for mine:

Finger spool at Leisure pro

I of course failed to ever practice with it and when I first shot it, it was like a three stooges movie, string was everywhere. I thought I might be dragged to the surface in a string cocoon before I got it squared away. I tried not to put too much air in it, but alas, I put in too little and ended up with a semi-limp sausage. :(

it is easy to put too little gas into the smb, and for this reason, smbs deployed from depth should be closed (like the one you linked to). Open bottom smbs have a tendency to lay down on the surface and spill the gas, whereas closed smbs, even with too little gas, can still stand up if you keep tension on the line.

In a place like Cozumel with 100' of visibility, you can tell if your smb is standing up just by looking at it, and a half full 3' smb sticking 2' out of the water is better than a 6' smb laying flat.

it is easy to put too little gas into the smb, and for this reason, smbs deployed from depth should be closed (like the one you linked to). Open bottom smbs have a tendency to lay down on the surface and spill the gas, whereas closed smbs, even with too little gas, can still stand up if you keep tension on the line.

In a place like Cozumel with 100' of visibility, you can tell if your smb is standing up just by looking at it, and a half full 3' smb sticking 2' out of the water is better than a 6' smb laying flat.
Yup. I always do the right thing by ascending right by my DM's SMB that he unfurls at depth for my safety. But on the surface, it's just a limp rag laying flat on the surface, offering far less visibility than my own big head. Fortunately it's never been necessary since my recent diving in Cozumel has been in decent conditions where a boat driver would have to be extremely drunk to run over me. Were visibility limited on the surface, I'd blow up my own little SMB that's like the one cvchief's wife carries. Better yet, I'd turn both camera strobes on, pointing in different directions.

I put in too little and ended up with a semi-limp sausage. :(

We've all been there, brother...

nimoh:
Open bottom smbs have a tendency to lay down on the surface and spill the gas, whereas closed smbs, even with too little gas, can still stand up if you keep tension on the line.

This hybrid is actually a good option - I have one (in addition to a closed lift bag), and I find it works well without spilling due to the internal baffle, but has the advantage of being easier to fill at depth.

Yea, I kept jerking on it to try to get it to stand up straight.

it is easy to put too little gas into the smb, and for this reason, smbs deployed from depth should be closed (like the one you linked to). Open bottom smbs have a tendency to lay down on the surface and spill the gas, whereas closed smbs,In a place like Cozumel with 100' of visibility, you can tell if your smb is standing up just by looking at it, and a half full 3' smb sticking 2' out of the water is better than a 6' smb laying flat.

I can see how a short one that stands up a little is better than a big one that wont stand up at all. Of course if I have a big or small one, you want it to stand up tall...

All the dive ops will pick you up at the Palace. Can't get much more centralized.

When diving solo with BlueXTSea the dive master becomes your insta buddy. Now if run out of air after 30 minutes you definitely need a bigger tank. As far as I know they all can provide a larger one.

I think I know what you really mean - but for clarification - th DM is NO ONE's "buddy" - he is the guide for the entire group. The DM is only a "buddy" if it is a private DM situation.

The list of shops that pick up at the Palace is smaller than the list that don't, so you do need to ask that question specifically when inquiring with different operations.

Everyone should carry an SMB, I think. Many people do, I believe. On the other hand, if your DM shoots a tube, you should use it. Shooting a strange SMB can confuse the boat captain. If you insist on using your own, make sure the DM and Captain are all in on the plan ahead of time.

If your boat captain is tracking the group's bubble (like they all do) an unfamiliar SMB coming from the group shouldn't really confuse him. I've shot my own many times for various reasons, and it's never pre-planned (except with hand signals at depth) or caused any confusion. I figure since I'm capable of deploying it (and it's good to keep in practice), why make the DM carry theirs around at depth any extra time? Of course mine has my name in huge letters and a shark on it, so maybe that's why it doesn't confuse anyone :D

After the first time entanglement, my home bud learned the importance of buoyancy control while deploying a SMB from 70 feet, then went on to buy a big one for his next trip to Coz. It and the reel fit in this BC pocket ok, but he forgot to close it - so it made one dive, no uses. :sad: He went back to the little sausage like mine and a finger reel - plenty for most Coz diving I think, but I shudder at the divers who go to sea without any.

For NC wreck dives, a bigger one would be appropriate, maybe an inflatable raft and a 3 day supply of food and water if you don't carry a Nautilus or PLB. I don't know any lost divers stories from there, but those could be well kept secrets. You won't see land for hours on one of those trips.

Two things. First, some of you SMB fans will be happy to know that I attended the unveiling of the new PADI Open Water course today at DEMA, and there will be a mandatory SMB skill. Can be taught either at the surface or underwater, but every new PADI diver will be trained in how and when to use one. I think this is a great idea. Second, I would just like to address the original poster's comment that Blue Angel allows divers to ascend alone. If I understood the OP correctly, I want to clarify that we do allow divers to ascend in buddy pairs, rather than with the group. However, single divers ascending alone goes against our current shop policy.

If your boat captain is tracking the group's bubble (like they all do) an unfamiliar SMB coming from the group shouldn't really confuse him. I've shot my own many times for various reasons, and it's never pre-planned (except with hand signals at depth) or caused any confusion. I figure since I'm capable of deploying it (and it's good to keep in practice), why make the DM carry theirs around at depth any extra time? Of course mine has my name in huge letters and a shark on it, so maybe that's why it doesn't confuse anyone :D

Well, if your Op expects that fine. However, should you end up surfacing near other groups and shooting your own SMB CAN confuse a captain, esp. if it is not what was in the original plan. For instance, my captain might not recognize your distinctive SMB if he never saw it before. I have come up before and it looked like grand central with divers and boats everywhere. Again though, nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to highlight if you are planning to change the usual plan, let someone know.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 06:50 PM ----------

...isn't one's dive buddy supposed to handle that ?

I'll check and let you know how it goes.....

---------- Post added November 7th, 2013 at 06:54 PM ----------

After the first time entanglement, my home bud learned the importance of buoyancy control while deploying a SMB from 70 feet,

Holy ****ake mushroom, 70 feet? I bet that puppy ripped to the surface.

For NC wreck dives, a bigger one would be appropriate, maybe an inflatable raft and a 3 day supply of food and water if you don't carry a Nautilus or PLB. I don't know any lost divers stories from there, but those could be well kept secrets. You won't see land for hours on one of those trips.

Well I am gonna need a new BC for that. I don't have room with my current gadgets for an inflatable raft.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom