Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All,
I am a recreational diver, once a twice a year at best though I have about 450 dives under my belt, 99% without a computer believe it or not.
I think I should get one now as I am getting older and need to take less risks. Are those Mares Puck computers ok ? I can't really justify spending over the top for something I use once or twice a year for a couple of weeks.
Thanks in adavnce

Thank you. There is a Cressi at the same price but I have heard there are issues with them dying on you after battery replacement. Are the Mares Puck easy to do a battery change on without wrecking it ?

Waiting for the first mention of brand S.

Thank you. There is a Cressi at the same price but I have heard there are issues with them dying on you after battery replacement. Are the Mares Puck easy to do a battery change on without wrecking it ?
My kids and I use Puck Pros. Simple, cheap, battery change is very simple (just make sure the o ring is clean). For basic recreational stuff they are great.

Respectfully,

James

Hi @scubajunky17

There are quite a few inexpensive dive computers available ($2-300). This gives you a choice of puck or watch style, one, two or more button operation, and deco algorithm.

I quickly perused scuba.com. The Seac Action HR deserves attention in addition to the Mares and Cressi computers. It is a watch style, 4 button computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with presets. An all black version is currently on sale for $205 US. You might also look at the Aqua Lung i300C, runs PZ+. The Mares and Cressi computers run their versions of RGBM. Local availability and service might be important to you.

Any of these computers would fit your needs, best of luck on your purchase.

For what you want to do, any computer will do the trick. All will have the features you need. Any difference in algorithms will not matter for the dives you are evidently planning to do.

I would recommend a computer that has a user-replaceable battery because you are not likely to look at your computer until just before you need it, and that is not the time to realize you have to take it to a dealer for a new battery.

Another issue, although one that is hard to judge ahead of time, is the operating procedures. I have friends who also dive once a year, and they have very different computers. One of them has no trouble remembering how to use it, and the other has to spend time with the manual each year. The troublesome one is a one button system, and she has to relearn how to set the nitrox percentage every trip she takes.

Finally, you have to ask if you want it on a console or on the wrist. My preference is the wrist, but you may want the console.

If getting old and need a computer take a look at the Peregrine. Your old eyes will appreciate how easy it is to read.

Agree with responses above. I just sold off some Aeris Atmos 2 computers; yep they are older but worked fine, easy to navigate and large display for those of us over 50. Battery replacement is easy.

Back
Top Bottom