Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My feeling is it happens if you let the battery run really dead. Ours have been -- knock on wood -- problem-free for close to a decade now.

The IR eye and the way it deals with deco are the downsides. I suspect Puck will have the latter as well, though. One button could be a pain if you dive nitrox and have to change the mix all the time, but if you don't: you only need it to change the time once per trip (if your destination is in a different time zone) or after a battery change.

What’s the issue with how it deals with deco?

What’s the issue with how it deals with deco?

In the handful of cases when I overstayed the NDL, once it got a mandatory stop, it wouldn't budge until you complete it exactly as prescribed. Say, you got a 3 min/3 msw, you raise to 7-ish msw where your tissues can't by definition on-gas to their surfacing M-values, you expect the deco stop to clear after a while (at least with a vanilla ZH-L16 computer you would). Leo won't, or maybe you have to wait much longer than I did. It can only add to your deco obligation.

I suspect it's a limitation of the algorithm or its specific version running on the low-powered DCs, and that the Puck will behave the same way.

I’ve got a mares smart and it doesn’t work that way. It will clear deco before you reach the stop if you dive in a way that you would expect it to. I assume the mares smart would run the same algorithm and capabilities as the puck. AFAIK the only difference is an extra button and apnea mode (non negotiables for me). You might want to ask someone who knows that for sure though.

HI All,
I am a recreational diver, once a twice a year at best though I have about 450 dives under my belt, 99% without a computer believe it or not.
I think I should get one now as I am getting older and need to take less risks. Are those Mares Puck computers ok ? I can't really justify spending over the top for something I use once or twice a year for a couple of weeks.
Thanks in adavnce
Another option is the Mares Nemo Wide, a bit larger display for the older eyes. Pretty much same functions available.
My first computer, that I've had with me on every dive is the Mares Nemo Wide, no using that as a back up and the Garmin Descent G1 as my primary, mostly because I like gadgets and can afford them. As far as functions, the Puck/Nemo is all you need IMO.

JW

I’ve got a mares smart and it doesn’t work that way. It will clear deco before you reach the stop if you dive in a way that you would expect it to. I assume the mares smart would run the same algorithm and capabilities as the puck. AFAIK the only difference is an extra button and apnea mode (non negotiables for me). You might want to ask someone who knows that for sure though.

It could be me, too: the way we dive I rarely overstay the NDL, so I don't get to see much of my computer's deco quirks. Maybe I never spent enough time in the shallows (but below its prescribed stop depth) for it to wake up and recompute.

Another option is the Mares Nemo Wide, a bit larger display for the older eyes. Pretty much same functions available.
My first computer, that I've had with me on every dive is the Mares Nemo Wide, no using that as a back up and the Garmin Descent G1 as my primary, mostly because I like gadgets and can afford them. As far as functions, the Puck/Nemo is all you need IMO.

JW
I have the Nemo Wide and very happy with it. I chose it because when I was choosing a computer I was using reading glasses. Now I dive with contacts so the screen is not an issue now but I still like it. I did my deep cert earlier this year and during the course dives and dives on other occasions with the same DM who uses 2 computers including a Shearwater he was telling the other divers about some things he really liked about mine compared to his, I only wish I could recall them. Anyhow after his reviews I decided that I would stick with my computer for a while longer.

The only things I don't like are 1) The manual - it sucks 2) Inability to find a gasket for the battery cover.

OK, since nobody else asked the question, what is your typical profile? Where do you dive? Etc.
If you are going to tell us it is 30' reefs, anything will do. It will be more of a logging device, see what will connect easy for downloads and storage.
But if you are going to tell us that you are doing 100-120' dives back to back, time to step it up to a better computer. Used Petrel1 comes to mind.

Bonjour à tous
,Je ne connais pas trop les règles des forums...j'espère d'etre dans le bon endroit... :wink:
je cherche un remplacement des composants dans mon Mares Smart apnea.
Savez-vous si on pourrait trouver des ordinateurs Mares Smart Apnea ou Mares Smart HS et récupérer les composants internes ? Merci

Tony

Back
Top Bottom